One Perfect Bite was featured in the Sunday Brunch Segment of Amuse Bouche, the blog associated with the magazine Where Women Cook. It you're interested, the feature can be seen here.
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This recipe was written for a competition that's disappeared from the radar. When the economy went south, some cooking contests were discontinued and the prize structures of others were drastically changed. A lot of us have recipes sitting in limbo as a result. This is one of my captives. The dish is a favorite of Bob's and he asked me to make it for dinner one night this week. I honestly had forgotten how good it is, but when I made it tonight I knew I'd have to share the recipe with you. It would be a perfect dish for Meatless Monday. It really is not hard to do and if you like macaroni and cheese with a twist, I really think you'll enjoy this. The dish is a combination of two old favorites, one is a cheesy broccoli soup and the other, of course, is a creamy mac n' cheese. While it bakes in the oven and forms a crust, this remains a creamy, rather than dry, mac n' cheese. That will be off putting to some, but I hope most of you will take a look at the recipe and give it a try. This is very straight forward dish and I have no cautions regarding its construction. If you like macaroni, cheese and broccoli, you're in for a taste treat. Here's the recipe for my house macaroni special.
House Special Mac N' Cheese with Broccoli...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup finely diced carrot
1/4 cup flour
3 cups milk, divided use
1 pound fresh broccoli florets cut into small pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces Colby cheese, shredded
4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
8 ounces small elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons panko bread crumbs
6 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
1) Add water to a large pot and set to boil. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a large gratin dish (9 x 13-inch) or 6 individual casserole dishes. Set aside.
2) Melt butter in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and saute until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, bring 2 cups milk to a simmer. Add broccoli and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Break broccoli into small pieces with a spoon.
4) Add flour to carrot and onion mixture and cook for 2 minutes without allowing it to brown. Slowly whisk in reserved 1 cup milk. Whisk in cream. Add milk and broccoli to sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
5) Add garlic powder, salt, pepper and both cheeses to sauce and stir until cheese has melted. Reduce heat and keep warm.
6) Add macaroni to boiling water and cook until just tender. Drain and add to sauce mixture. Transfer to gratin dish or individual casseroles. Top with breadcrumbs and cheese.
7) Bake until bubbling and cheese is melted, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Stove Top Mac and Cheese - I'll Have What She's Having
Crock-Pot Mac N'Cheese - Cookistry
Spinach Macaroni and Cheese - The Recipe Girl
Baked Macaroni and Pimento Cheese - Drick's Rambling Cafe
Beefed Up Mac and Cheese - Real Mom Kitchen
Baked Macaroni and Cheese - The Galley Kitchen
Three Cheese Baked Macaroni - Culinary in the Country
Parmesan Macaroni and Cheese - Coconut and Lime
Bacon, Macaroni and Cheese - Our Life in the Kitchen
Green Chili Macaroni and Cheese - Vino Luci Style
Crab Mac and Cheese - Closet Cooking
Truffle Macaroni and Cheese - Life's Ambrosia
Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese - Squirrel Bakes
Truffled Mac N' Cheese - One Perfect Bite
Game Day Chili Mac Skillet - One Perfect Bite
Goat Herder's Mac N' Cheese - One Perfect Bite
This post is being lined to Meatless Monday's at My Sweet and Savory