Thursday, September 3, 2009

Green Beans with Balsamic-Shallot Butter



Green beans are starting to wrestle for space in our teeming farmer's markets. I've just blanched 20 pounds of them for freezer storage and have held some back for tonight's dinner. I like the palate cleansing attributes of this recipe and make it several times during harvest season. It's not my favorite recipe for beans but it's perfect for summer's busy kitchen. The original recipe, which appeared in Bon Appetit magazine a decade ago, was made with dark balsamic vinegar. The beans had wonderful flavor but their color was really dreadful. I've since substituted white balsamic vinegar and am much happier with their appearance. Save for a final toss and stir-fry, done to reheat rather than cook, these beans can be made ahead of time. They are a real hostess helper. Here's the recipe.


Green Beans with Balsamic-Shallot Butter

Ingredients:

1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 large shallots, finely chopped (1/2 cup chopped red onions may be substituted)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
Optional garnish: Coarse sea salt
2 pounds green beans, trimmed

Directions:

1) Combine vinegar and shallots in heavy small saucepan. Boil over medium heat until most vinegar is absorbed (about 1 tablespoon liquid should remain in pan), stirring frequently, about 6 minutes. Transfer mixture to small bowl; cool completely. Add butter; mix with fork until blended.
2) Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes. Drain. Refresh under cold water; drain. Pat dry with paper towels. Balsamic-shallot butter and beans can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.
3) Combine beans and balsamic-shallot butter in large nonstick skillet. Toss over medium heat until beans are heated through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve. Yield: 8 servings.

23 comments :

theUngourmet said...

They are really pretty! The white balsamic was a perfect choice.

I am going to freeze green beans soon too.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Looks good! I love green beans. I need to follow your lead and get some blanched up for the freezer. Sadly mine did not produce this year. :(

AnnA said...

Hi!
Wow!
This is a blog full of yummie food with very delicious photos...
Thank's for comments on my blog!
Have a nice day!/
AnnA

Apples and Butter said...

Love those hostess helpers. I just need a reminder to use them! I always end up going with more complicated dishes and then I'm a mess in the kitchen when my guests arrive. Thanks for the gentle reminder!

KathyB. said...

We have green beans galore in our garden and after freezing quite a few,I think I will set some aside for this recipe. Beautiful and hopefully ,tasty.

Selba said...

When I was a kid, I didn't like to eat any veggie except green beans :)

My mom used to sautee green beans with shallot, garlic, dried shrimps and soy sauce.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Such gorgeous green beans and how can you go wrong with balsamic-shallot butter!?! ;-)

Debbie said...

Wow, 20 lbs of green beans. Now that is a lot of green beans. I love their vivid color in your photo and they sound delicious. My son loves his green beans!

Maggie said...

Bonjour Mary,
I haven't yet come across white balsamic vinegar but I shall be on the lookout now.
Thanks for stopping by in Normandy.
Sadly, although we do cut down the mistletoe at Christmas time it is a very fast speading parasite & once it's got a hold the tree is a goner!
a bientot
Maggie

My Little Space said...

This is a kind of hassle free recipe! My favorite...ha ha...

Cathy said...

My daughter just gave me a bag of green beans and I was wondering what I would do with them. Looks like a very simple and tasty recipe, Mary.

Katy ~ said...

Beautiful pix.

Tasty, new (to me) way to serve green beans. Much appreciated serving idea as I never know how to make them a little more special. This is it!

Cindy said...

That sounds wonderful! I want to try that recipe. I love the pics of your grandsons on the side bar. They are sooo cute! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. Hugs, Cindy s.

Carla said...

What a wonderful, easy way to serve green beans! Thank you for sharing:)

Gaby said...

I am love this dish - looks like another winner from your kitchen!

Deeba PAB said...

I love love the flavours here. truly delicious!!

The Blonde Duck said...

This could easily be a Pond vegetable...

Unknown said...

Simple but delicious I bet. I'll have to get some of white variety to try. As always, you've got something great cooking.
Happy Twirls

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Mary, just recently bought some white balsamic for the first time. I always thought it was a fake because balsamic has to be a rich, brown color. Actually, I am not quite sure what it is, but I do like the taste. This sauce is very similar to the beurre blanc I make for grilled salmon. I must try this. Thanks.

noble pig said...

Okay that butter sounds like it's my new best friend. Wow.

The Cooking Photographer said...

Beautiful Mary and tasty looking too! I need to freeze green beans this year or I won't have any.

surfingtheworldcuisine said...

One of my favourite vegetables!!! Love the recipe!!!

Kristin said...

I just harvested all my beans- all 8 of them! Woo hoo! I put in an entire package of seeds and only 2 plants grew. Too wet of a spring. This sounds wonderful, I guess I'll have to find someone who did a better job in their garden than me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly