Friday, October 10, 2008

Crock-Pot: Asian-Style Country Ribs with Black Bean Garlic Sauce


This crock-pot entrée is really, really good. It takes 10 minutes to prepare, is made from ingredients that are readily available and is a bargain when you consider the number of servings it provides. One caution - you'll have mush with Asian flavor if you cook this for more than 5 to 6 hours. The recipe is adapted from "Slow Cooker Recipes for All Occasions", a Rival Crock-Pot publication. Served with rice and snow peas you have the makings of a minor feast that you'll repeat often. My family loves this dish. I think yours will, too. This, by the way, is a wonderful recipe for novice cooks. If you have a willing teen, let them have a go at it.

Asian-Style Country Ribs with Black Bean Garlic Sauce

Ingredients:
3 to 4 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs, cross cut in 1-1/2-inch pieces
3 tablespoons prepared black bean garlic sauce from a jar (i.e. Lee Kum Kee)
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin or chicken stock
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chopped scallions (white and tender green)

Directions:
1) Spray interior of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place pork cubes in slow cooker. Combine black bean garlic sauce, soy sauce, mirin, honey, ginger, garlic, pepper and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir to dissolve cornstarch. Pour over ribs.
2) Cook, covered, on LOW setting for 5 to 6 hours until ribs are tender but still hold their shape. Transfer ribs to a rimmed serving platter; tent with foil to keep warm. Strain liquid into a small pan. Bring liquid to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until mixture begins to thicken and is reduced by half. Stir in sesame oil. Add sauce and 1/4 cup scallions to pork cubes. Mix well. Garnish with reserved 2 tablespoons scallions. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

19 comments :

Martha said...

DH will love this -- as soon as I can find the black bean paste, it will be on the menu!

Thanks --

Martha

Anonymous said...

I SO love collecting crosck pot recipes. This looks especially tasty.

Patsyk said...

Looks amazing! Are you sure it came from a crockpot? The stuff I've made always looks gross, which is why it's been in packed away for a long time now!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Patsy, IMHO the crock-pot changes the texture of food if it is allowed to cook too long; I'm really careful about how I use it. It's a wonderful tool for busy cooks, so I work really hard to overcome the 'mush' factor.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks so great! Thanks for the great crock pot recipe.

Deborah said...

OH, yum!! This has me hungry - and it's only 9am!!

Aggie said...

Wow, what a great slow cooker meal!! My husband would just love it! That sauce sounds so good.

Allie said...

I've been on a mission to collect more crock-pot recipes so I'm excited about this one!

Anonymous said...

Mary---this does look like something the boys can cook. Just sent the link to my son in college. I think I gave him a slow cooker when he moved out.

Regina said...

Mary, if I can not get black bean paste at the supermarket, can I substitute by putting black beans in the food processor?

I just love your blog! Regina

Mary Bergfeld said...

Regina, no. This sauce is made from fermented black beans and is not the same. This link will take you to Ming Tsai's website for a recipe for garlic black bean sauce....

http://www.ming.com/simplyming/showrecipes2003/recipe10042003.htm

The trouble is that making your own black bean sauce makes a simple crock-pot recipe a chore.

You can order on line from....

http://www.asiamex.com/proddetail.cfm?CFID=447999&CFTOKEN=683248&ItemID=322&CategoryID=36&SubCatID=121

If all else fails, I can mail you a jar.

Mary

Regina said...

Thank you, Mary. I'll check it out at my grocery store -- I may have looked right over it since this is the first recipe I've seen to use it.

Appreciate your offer though, Mary.

Andrea said...

I love good crock pot recipes, but I've found them to be so hit for miss! This dish looks great and I'll pay attention to your 5 hour time limit. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh..goodness, yummy! Thanks again Mary on the Kanten advice = )

daizo? Black Been Sauce... yummy, I've never had the chance to have it served with ribs, but then again I have not eaten ribs in an awfully long time, I really need to buy a cooker, I wonder if I can use the Rice cooker... we do when we make Kuri Rice and Bamboo... hmm

Tastes of Home said...

hey Mary, this looks so good and time to break out my crock pot! hehe

Mary Bergfeld said...

GJ, you can use daizo, but remember it has a more refined flavor than standard black bean garlic sauce. The BBGS is what gives this dish it's POW factor. Don't use your rice cooker. Instead assemble all ingredients in dutch oven and bake, covered, for 5 hours at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Mary

Mary Bergfeld said...

TOH, this is really nice for something that is effortless to prepare. I've read your recipes and I'm humbled. You are my first stop every morning.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Yum-O... can't wait to try this one!

I LOVE your blog... so glad I stumbled upon it!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to try this! I'm on a budget and I'm trying to use up all the stuff in my cupboard--I was looking for a recipe for the Asian black bean garlic sauce I've had forever, and found this. So happy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly