Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sister Sarah's Apple Pudding

That final, transcendent scene of Places in the Heart always starts me thinking about how we all, in quiet ways, are touched and transformed by simple truths and the hands of those who form our better angels and teach us to forgive. A personal belief - the final me is a mix of all the people who have walked with me through the nearly seven decades of my life and my better angel, if she exists, is their creation. One of those who walked with me was Lilah. She grabbed my hand, held on tight and led me through rough patches as mental illness slowly claimed my Mother's life. Lilah was raised in a Mennonite community and while she attached a disclaimer to her past, the food of her childhood was never forgotten. Lilah gave Sister Sarah, an elder in her community, credit for this cake. I've made this cake for close to fifty years now, so, it's with a smiling sorrow that I must admit that this cake can no longer be credited to Sarah. There are just too many versions of it floating in cyberspace and Sarah didn't travel. Whatever its source, this cake is a delight and I still make it often because it is so simple. Lilah's version of Sarah's cake is a one pot wonder that requires a single bowl and a wooden spoon. I promise an original apple dessert next week, but, meanwhile, I hope you'll give this one a try.

Sister Sarah's Apple Pudding

Ingredients:
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon mace
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups diced apples, cut in 1/4-inch pieces
1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
Frosting:
3 tablespoons softened butter
6 tablespoons sour cream
3 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 x 2-inch pan. Set aside.
2) Combine eggs, brown and white sugar, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until blended.
3) Sift flour, cinnamon, mace, baking soda and salt over the wet mixture. Mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes. Invert onto a rectangular serving plate.
4) Rinse bowl. Combine butter, sour cream and confectioners' sugar in bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Spread over cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.

9 comments :

Jenny said...

Wow, Mary this sounds and looks like the perfect treat to me!

Hope you get to see that little cutie pie dressed up for Halloween Friday night. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Looks perfect to me! And you are so right about our "angels."

Peter M said...

My complements to sis...moist, homey and comforting comes to mind.

Barbara said...

Mary, you are such an inspiration with the dishes and stories you feature.

The Inexperienced Foodie said...

That looks so mouth watering and moist I will be trying that recipe for sure.

Anonymous said...

Oh.. this would be fabulous, I wonder if I can serve this as a breakie over some coffee or tea... oh goodness it looks so moist and inviting. YUM. Your dishes are fabulous!!

Allie said...

What a perfect treat! I have some leftover apples I can't wait to try this.

Meg said...

This looks amazing! The perfect Fall treat!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Welcome Megan. I hope you'll stop by often.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly