Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Crock-Pot: Mediterranean Pork Pot Au Feu



Here's something out of the ordinary for crock-pot devotees - a pork pot au feu. This recipe is designed for busy cooks, but you'll have an even tastier meal if you brown the meat and onions before the caldron begins to bubble. Don't overcook - five to six hours is plenty. Add or subtract vegetables at will. I know you'll enjoy this one.

Mediterranean Pork Pot Au Feu

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided use
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
3 to 4 pounds country-style pork ribs, cut crosswise in 1-1/2-inch pieces
One generous pinch each
...Cinnamon
...Black pepper
...Crushed rosemary
...Crushed thyme
1 to 2 tablespoons browning and seasoning sauce (i.e. Kitchen Bouquet)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
1/3 cup condensed chicken stock, undiluted
1 bay leaf
6 medium carrots, diagonally sliced at 1-1/2 inch intervals
1/2 cup frozen petite onions, thawed
4 tablespoons instant-blend flour
Garnish: chopped parsley

Directions:
1) Spray the interior of a 5-1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add onions and 1 teaspoon oil; toss to coat. Cover; microwave on HIGH power for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, covered, for 1 minute longer.
2) Place cinnamon, black pepper, rosemary, thyme, browning and seasoning sauce, and reserved 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium bowl; whisk to combine. Add pork cubes and toss to coat. Transfer to slow cooker.
3) Place vinegar, mustard, wine and chicken stock in a bowl; whisk to combine. Pour over pork cubes.
4) Cover; cook on LOW for 5 or 6 hours (5 hours recommended). Add carrots last hour of cooking. Add onions last 20 minutes of cooking.
5) Remove pork and vegetables from slow cooker. Strain liquid into a two cup measure. Add water or stock to make 2 cups liquid. Pour into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Whisk in flour and continue cooking until sauce thickens. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over meat and vegetables; toss to coat. Use a slotted spoon to transfer stew to a serving platter. Garnish with parsley. Pass extra sauce at table if desired. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

11 comments :

Anonymous said...

I just love your crock pot recipes. I bet this one just pops with flavor because of all the spices. I'm also eyeing thta hazelnut cake below. I love hazelnuts.

Maria said...

I still need to get out my crock pot. I know I am slacking!!

Allie said...

Great recipe for the crock pot, keep them coming!

Deborah said...

I'm always looking for good crock pot recipes, and this one sounds like a really good one!!

Unknown said...

A perfect meal for this busy, brisk day!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Hi Patrick, Welcome to One Perfect Bite. I hope you'll stop by often.

Peter M said...

This transports me to Aix en Provence. I'll bring a crusty baguette, let's dunk in.

Veronica said...

I never think to crack out the crock pot...this makes me want to-looks tasty!

Prudy said...

That's amazing! It looks so good and not at all like a mooshy crock pot dinner. I've got to get my hands on some pearl onions.

Regina said...

This recipe looks wonderful and I can't wait to try it. Yesterday I used the crock pot for beef stew for the first time in ages, and it was wonderful to walk in after a long trip into Boston and the house smelled like heaven and dinner was ready.

Thanks Mary!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Regina, I think you'll like this one. Just don't oovercook.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly