Here's something out of the ordinary for crock-pot devotees - a pork pot au feu. This recipe is designed for busy cooks, but you'll have an even tastier meal if you brown the meat and onions before the caldron begins to bubble. Don't overcook - five to six hours is plenty. Add or subtract vegetables at will. I know you'll enjoy this one.
Mediterranean Pork Pot Au Feu
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided use
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
3 to 4 pounds country-style pork ribs, cut crosswise in 1-1/2-inch pieces
One generous pinch each
1 to 2 tablespoons browning and seasoning sauce (i.e. Kitchen Bouquet)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
1/3 cup condensed chicken stock, undiluted
1 bay leaf
6 medium carrots, diagonally sliced at 1-1/2 inch intervals
1/2 cup frozen petite onions, thawed
4 tablespoons instant-blend flour
Garnish: chopped parsley
1) Spray the interior of a 5-1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add onions and 1 teaspoon oil; toss to coat. Cover; microwave on HIGH power for 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, covered, for 1 minute longer.
2) Place cinnamon, black pepper, rosemary, thyme, browning and seasoning sauce, and reserved 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium bowl; whisk to combine. Add pork cubes and toss to coat. Transfer to slow cooker.
3) Place vinegar, mustard, wine and chicken stock in a bowl; whisk to combine. Pour over pork cubes.
4) Cover; cook on LOW for 5 or 6 hours (5 hours recommended). Add carrots last hour of cooking. Add onions last 20 minutes of cooking.
5) Remove pork and vegetables from slow cooker. Strain liquid into a two cup measure. Add water or stock to make 2 cups liquid. Pour into a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Whisk in flour and continue cooking until sauce thickens. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over meat and vegetables; toss to coat. Use a slotted spoon to transfer stew to a serving platter. Garnish with parsley. Pass extra sauce at table if desired. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.