Sunday, December 28, 2008
Rosemary Aioli and the Perfect Sandwich
The two constants in making a perfect sandwich are really, really good bread and a mayonnaise so flavorful that it excites the taste buds. You'll also need two to four ounces of meat, perhaps a slice of cheese and some wonderfully crisp lettuce. You're tasked with finding great bread, but great mayonnaise is just a line or two away. The first recipe makes a flavorful mayonnaise from scratch. The second takes a prepared spread and, with a few additions, makes it outstanding. Both are recommended.
1 large egg yolk
1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt, divided use
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
1) Combine egg yolk, mustard, vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in jar of an electric blender. Pulse to combine.
2) With the blender on, slowly add 1/4 cup oil and process until a smooth,creamy emulsion is formed. With the blender still on, slowly add remainder of oil and process until sauce thickens.
3) Add garlic, rosemary, reserved 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Pulse to blend. Chill. Yield: 1 cup rosemary aioli.
Fast and Easy Rosemary Aioli
1 cup prepared mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon peppper
1) Combine mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
2) Mix well to combine. Chill. Yield: 1 cup rosemary aioli.