Thursday, January 29, 2009

Blackberry Crisp

Photobucket

This is a dessert that is assembled rather than made. I keep a few of these recipes in my file for occasions when I need something sweet that can be put together quickly. Blackberries and hazelnuts are common ingredients in Oregon. I always have them in my freezer, so this dessert is a literal no-brainer for me to execute. I've started to use English muffins to make bread crumbs. I like the coarse texture of the crumbs they produce and I always have them on hand. It took 5 minutes to assemble this dessert. It's a great family or weeknight dessert.


Blackberry Crisp

Ingredients:
6 to 8 cups fresh or frozen marionberries or blackberries
2-1/2 cups coarse fresh English muffin crumbs, divided use
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 small orange
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Heavy cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving (optional)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Combine blackberries, 1 cup crumbs, confectioners' sugar, orange zest and salt in a medium bowl. Place in a greased 8 x 8-inch or 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Set aside.
3) Combine reserved 1-1/2 cups crumbs, hazelnuts, melted butter and granulated sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle over berries. Bake until the berry juices bubble, about 40 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes. Serve warm with cream or ice cream. Yield: 6 to 8 small servings.

22 comments :

Sara said...

This looks great, I love blackberries - they're one of my favorie things to eat!

Anonymous said...

Dessert sounds so good right now and I love blackberries!

Abby said...

Simple, sweet and tasty. Perfection. Ah, blackberries - they make me yearn for summer!

Anonymous said...

Would you believe I have not tasted blackberries yet! That's because it is unavailable here. But crisps are our favorite dessert, too! I usually use apples, or bananas. I'm thinking of using strawberries next time! :)

Martha said...

Blackberry crisps are a favorite here but I've never used English muffin crumbs -- always oats. In June, there is nothing like fresh blackberries baked into a crisp! I'll have to try the crumbs next time.

Donna-FFW said...

I love the idea of using the English muffins for a crisp. I actually have some that I can use, I wonder if it would work well with strawberries and pecans.. its what I have on hand. Yours looks absolutely fantastic!!

Cathy said...

Looks delicious, Mary. Great idea to use English muffins for the crumbs.

Changes in the wind said...

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I hope you will be a frequent visitor:)

Allie said...

I love your idea of the english muffin I can't wait to make this!

Pam said...

I never thought to add hazelnuts to my crisps. What a beautiful and tasty dessert.

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Just love the blackberry treat. After pushing many buttons, I finally figured out how to add my wonderful award to my blog. I am not that tech minded but I have succeeded!! Thanks again.

Maria said...

Blackberries are my favorite berry. They grew wild by my house growing up. I miss them!! This crisp looks fabulous!

The Blonde Duck said...

I need a fruit crisp. NOW! You triggered a craving!

Farmer Jo said...

MMM, that makes me think of summer. Looks delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Hi, Jo. Welcome to the table. I hope we'll see you often.

Netts Nook said...

Can't wait looks great thanks for sharing.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Hi Lynette. I'm so glad you stopped by. Come often!

Meg said...

I love that you used English muffin crumbs to make this. YUM!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Hi meg. English muffins make great crumbs. Just be sure to let them stale naturally or use the microwave to do it quickly.

Lisa said...

Great recipe, Mary! It's always nice to know you can make something wonderful from ingredients you have on hand. And what's not to love about blackberries and hazelnuts?

Emily said...

I like the English muffin tip. I have about 15 cases in my freezer right now. This dessert looks spectacular!

Peter M said...

I love crisps and the English muffin crumbs is a neat idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly