Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Penne with Garlic Roasted Mushrooms



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I wish I had the ability to spin words in such a way that you would be convinced, at least for a moment, that I have a gourmet pasta to share with you today. Truth is, this homely dish is made from odds and ends found in my pantry and fridge at the end of the holidays. The mushrooms were my bad. They had been purchased to stuff, but for lots of reasons, some of them actually legitimate, that never happened. The rest of the ingredients are standard pantry fare, so the dish is really the result of a game of mix and match. It sounds quite ordinary, but the garlic and herbed roasted mushrooms take this pasta to a whole nother level. Roasting releases heady woodland flavors that you won't encounter when the mushrooms are sauteed or baked at a lower level, and the scant juices they exude add a real boost to the taste of the finished pasta. This was wonderful when made with large crimini mushrooms, but I suspect it would been even more flavorful had wild mushrooms been available for use. This dish is very easy to prepare, but the mushrooms take time to roast, so you should plan on at least an hour to get the pasta on the table. This rustic dish is not particularly attractive, but it makes up in earthy and satisfying flavor what it lacks in eye appeal. Don't slice the mushrooms too thinly. Mine were about 1/3 to 1/2-inch thick and that worked out well. They retained some shape and added a meaty type resistance to the finished dish.This pasta is substantial enough to be served as an entree and it would be a perfect choice for a Meatless Monday dinner. I don't think this reheats well. Unlike most dishes that improve with age, I thought the lovely woodsy flavor of the freshly made dish disappeared when it was refrigerated overnight. If you enjoy mushrooms, I suspect you'll like this pasta and I hope you will give it a try. Here's the recipe.

Penne with Garlic Roasted Mushrooms...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:

2 pounds assorted mushrooms cleaned, stemmed and sliced or quartered
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
12 ounces dried penne

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss together cleaned, sliced mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, oregano, and basil. Turn mixture onto a large baking dish or rimmed cookie sheet large enough to hold them in a single layer.
2) Transfer pan to oven and roast, stirring periodically, until mushrooms release their juices, shrink, and begin to caramelize, about 30 to 35 minutes.
3) When mushrooms are nearly done, prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking water. Add pan contents to pasta along with parsley, green onions and Parmesan cheese. Add reserved pasta water by tablespoons to form a sauce that naps pasta. Toss well and serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread with Streusel Topping
















Two Years Ago Today: Cuban Reuben with Mojo Mayo

44 comments :

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I love lighter meals like this one, on my latest diet this is perfect! thanks Mary!

Nisha said...

How light & simple, yet such an addictive & delicious combination!
Thanks for sharing :)

Andrea V. said...

Very lovely simple recipe. My mouth is watering :)

xo andrea

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh, your own creation. And it does look fancy and high class while being kind of simple. I am so bad at just creating things, I need a recipe. I have only created recipes maybe three or four times in my life.

Elin said...

Mary...in its simple form, it looks delicious :) I prefer pasta to be light and simple. Have a nice day ! :)

Cloudia said...

you should taste the black bean, barley and whatever soup we made from scratch tonight!



Aloha from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

Carrots and cherries said...

There is nothing more comforting than eating a bowl of hot garlicky mushroom pasta.

Mushroom and Garlic is a match made in heaven !

I would be more than happy to dig into some of your pasta :)

cheers

abhilasha

Anonymous said...

Finally I have a moment! There was talk or write English, so I use the translator, but it was to tell you thank you for passing by my blog. Your also I liked the fact I do.
A big hug! See you soon.

Coleens Recipes said...

This is SO perfect!!

Zee said...

This looks so simple and delicious and I love Penne pasta.. Don't know why but it always tastes better for me as compared to other types

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a flavourful dish,loving it..

Red Nomad OZ said...

OK, I'll bite (so to speak) ...

How about 'Wild, Wood-Oven roasted melange of garlicky herbed mushrooms over artisan pasta'??!! I'm ALWAYS amused by restaurant menu descriptions that give a complete ingredient list!!

Have a great day!!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Don't sell yourself short - your words have me convinced that this is gourmet fare. Pinning this one!

:)
Butteryum

Diane said...

We love pasta and eat masses of it, this is a lovely way of serving it. It will be done before the end of this week. Thanks Diane

Kim said...

I published a great recipe to prepare with mushrooms too today! Your pastas looks quite great and I'm sure they are delicious. Next time I'm having lots of mushroom, I will give this a try!

tender b. said...

Homely pasta is the best kind. I prefer it to the gourmet stuff.

Big Dude said...

Great use of your need-to-be-used shrooms. Pasta makes such a nice canvas to start from.

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I think you're one of the best word spinners I know! Had me sold from the start. The photograph of the simple dish, too. I've roasted many a vegetable, but never 'shrooms - got to try.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry, but to me, odds and ends pasta IS gourmet!! I love dishes like this,t hey are true staples in our house. And garlic roasted mushrooms?? YUM!!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

This looks lovely!

Susan Lindquist said...

Ha! We all have those 'oops' moments when we look in the fridge and wonder why we didn't use that perfectly good item! Good for you ...pulling those mushrooms out and salvaging them to make this rustic pasta dish!

Good one, Mary!

Leslie said...

I just love love love dinners that are born from not planning!!!

Tanna said...

Oh, my gosh. I don't think the mushrooms will ever make it to top the pasta!! I'm excited about trying them roasted. I've loved roasted vegetables for awhile now, but for some reason had not thought to roast a mushroom!! I'm on it! Thank you, Mary! blessings ~ tanna

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These leftovers and bits and pieces have been elevated to a very tasty dish Mary.

www.you-made-that.com said...

Mary this sounds delicious with the garlic roasted mushrooms. Happy New Year...and many more :)

What's Baking?? said...

All your food and presentation are so yummy and pretty. I love pasta..wish I could dig my fork in this.

Unknown said...

I love a hearty pasta with mushrooms though my kids don't so I don't get to cook up to many dishes with mushrooms. They always add such a rich and almost meat-like quality to a dish.

We do a lot of one-bowl pasta dinners at our house. Throw the veggies in there and you are all set to go. It makes dinner so much easier and the combinations always turn out fantastic.

Unknown said...

dear Mary
now my pictures are on pintest too ...your pasta is delicious..kiss from italy simmy

From the Kitchen said...

Roasted mushrooms? Why haven't I thought of that? It just so happens that "Santa Chef" brought The Baker a mushroom growing kit for Christmas.

You know we love those refrigerator/pantry recipes around this kitchen.

Best,
Bonnie

Jennifer Kendall said...

I love having an arsenal of recipes that make good use of the pantry...thanks for posting it, sounds great!

Sofia.Lopez said...

This kind of recipes are perfect, they are the best way to end up some ingredients that are lost in the fridge and all together they turn up amazing...to me it's a perfect meal, i love penne and mushrooms...yammy :)
Beijinhos
Have a nice day Mary ;))

Linda said...

You're not giving yourself enough credit for this! I love a simple, rustic looking dish and even tho I'm allergic to mushrooms, I had to read it all because it looked so good!!

martu said...

It looks great! such a lovely combination! Have a nice week

Eileen said...

Sounds delicious.

Mila said...

Mary, I'm sure my husband would love love LOVE this dish....he adores mushrooms (me not so much ) I love how you used up your odds and ends and came together with an amazing dish! That kind of creativity is what keeps me coming back to see what you have cooked up next.

Anonymous said...

No need for gourmet--I love recipes like this that are thrown together with ingredients already in the fridge/pantry. Truth is, this still looks gorgeous, delicious and gourmet to me! x

ms.composure said...

looks amazing!!!

http://infinitelifefitness.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Ola said...

looks absolutely delicious - I love mushrooms with garlic :)

Aldy said...

Dear Mary, I hope you're enjoying the beginning of this New Year with your loved ones. And I love this recipe! Looks wonderful :)

HUGS <3

Joanne said...

We all have clean-out-the-fridge meals every once in a while and it's always so interesting to see what other people do with them!

Anna said...

This looks so tasty right now... the fruit and veggie fast I'm on has me regretting lurking food blogs at the moment! Hehe :D

ShannonAnn said...

Thank-you so much for visiting my blog today, and leaving such a nice comment. I look forward to your wonderful recipes.

Jo-Lyn's Cup Cakes N' Candies said...

This recipe makes my mouth water! =)

Claudia said...

Nothing uses up odds and ends and make it all delicious than pasta. Gourmet is fun. Simple and healthy is paramount.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly