Saturday, May 30, 2009

Blueberry and Lemon Tea Biscuits


What to serve with tea for two or three or more? Tea biscuits are highly recommend. Ours, while just barely sweet, are kissed with lemon sugar and packed with blueberries. Making them requires a little forethought. You'll need lemon sugar but it's easy enough to make and can be used to flavor both the tea and the biscuits. I keep a small stash of the sugar in the refrigerator, so I can whip these up in no time at all. The biscuits keep for several days but they should be warmed and crisped before eating. They can be served for breakfast, brunch or my favorite meal "munch." We'll start with the lemon sugar and then move on to the tea biscuits which are adapted from Ina Garten's recipe for scones.

Lemon Sugar

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 cup sugar

Directions:

1) Work lemon zest into sugar with your fingers until well mixed.
2) Spread sugar in a large pan and let sit until dry, about 1 hour.
3) Store in a sealed, airtight container and use as need

Blueberry and Lemon Tea Biscuits


Ingredients:
2 cups + 1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup lemon sugar, divided use
1 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoons kosher salt
1-1/2 sticks (6-oz.) cold butter, diced
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
1 cup dried blueberries
1 extra-large egg beaten with 2 tablespoons milk or water, for egg wash

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2) Combine 2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons lemon sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add butter and blend at low speed until mixture resembles small peas. Combine the eggs and heavy cream in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and mix until just blended. Dough will be sticky. Toss blueberries with reserved tablespoon of flour. Fold into dough.
3) Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead only until smooth. Roll into a 1-inch rectangle. Using a 3-inch cutter, cut into rounds. Place on cookie sheet.
4) Brush top of biscuits with egg wash and sprinkle with reserved 2 tablespoons lemon sugar Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until outside is brown and crisp. Yield: 12 to 16 biscuits.

12 comments :

theUngourmet said...

Can't wait to make the lemon sugar! How long will it keep and should I put it in the fridge? The tea biscuits look so delicious. I wish I could have one right now with my coffee!

Selba said...

The tea biscuits sounds so perfect for an afternoon tea time :)

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

You are just knee deep in blueberries!
I think I must be making me some lemon sugar! I'll keep it next to my vanilla sugar.
Love that munch meal!

Mary Bergfeld said...

ungourmet, lemon sugar should be refrigerated. I have kept it under refrigeration for about 6 weeks. The trick is not to shorten the drying time mentioned in the recipe.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Tanna, tomorrow is the last day for blueberries, but you'll love the last recipe. They're called dandelion bars.

NKP said...

Sounds divine! We have gotten into the habit of having tea every day now. Such a nice treat.

Katy ~ said...

Another Must-Do recipe. I offered to bring work treats next week. I'm thinking these just might be the ticket! They sound wonderful!

Peg said...

It won't be long until local blueberries are ripe. I can't wait, now that I have visited your blog. My favorite of your blueberry recipes is the Blueberry Fool... I will definitely try that one! I also love the simplicity of the beautiful fork photo in your header.

Stella Jones said...

Your cookies look delicious and lemon sugar? that sounds wonderful. I'm just learning American cooking, so must try some of your recipes.
Blessings, Star

Mary Bergfeld said...

Peg and Star, welcome to One perfect bite. I hope you'll both join us often.

Stacey said...

Yum!! This sounds delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Stacey, welcome to One Perfect Bite. I'll hope you'll visit often.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly