Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Bulgur Salad with Pomegranate Dressing and Toasted Nuts



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This cracked wheat salad comes from the Middle East. It's a bit like tabbouleh but it's more complex and made uniquely flavorful by the addition of toasted nuts and pomegranate molasses. I found the recipe in the New York Times where it had been adapted from one developed by Claudia Roden who wrote the Book of Jewish Food and Arabesque. The bulgur wheat used in this recipe is coarser than that used in tabbouleh. The recipe also uses pomegranate molasses, a tart but sweet reduction of pomegranate juice that has the consistency of maple syrup. It is available in most grocery stores and it can be made at home if you're feeling adventurous. A recipe for Pomegranate Molasses can be found at Simply Recipes. I like to serve this salad with Greek and Lebanese meals. It's also wonderful for alfresco dining and picnics - there are no eggs or mayonnaise to worry about going bad. I like to make this several hours before I plan to serve it. Here's the recipe.

Bulgur Salad with Pomegranate Dressing and Toasted Nuts
...From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:

2-3/4 cups bulgur, preferably coarse-ground
Salt
3/4 cup olive oil
6 tablespoons pomegranate molasses, available at Middle Eastern markets
Juice of 2 lemons, or to taste
6 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
Pepper
2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, about 1 cup

Directions:
1) Put bulgur in a large bowl and cover with cold, lightly salted water. Let soak until tender, from 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on coarseness of bulgur. Drain in a sieve, firmly pressing out excess water, and transfer to a serving bowl.
2) Whisk olive oil with pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, tomato paste and spices. Add salt and pepper and taste; mixture should be pleasingly tangy. Add more pomegranate molasses and lemon juice as needed.
3) Pour half the dressing over bulgur and mix well. Set aside to absorb for about 10 minutes. Taste for salt, adding more if needed. Add half the remaining dressing, all the nuts and parsley, and mix well. Before serving, taste again and add more dressing as needed. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

34 comments :

Esi said...

This is a great way to use grains. I haven't used bulgur yet, but it sounds delicious.

Lisa said...

Nice pomegranate recipe! The flavor of this salad sounds so interesting and I love the way you served it in the cute red pepper bowl.

Ning said...

Beautiful presentation, Mary! I have not tasted bulgur yet and I am not sure if it is available here. But you make this dish sound so interesting, this is another ingredient I have to look out for :)

Katy ~ said...

I haven't had bulgar in decades but I remember enjoying it. It is time to revisit this hearty grain again. Love the presentation! So well done.

Maria Berg said...

I think I pass this one it look to healthy... But the tart and the bread I want to have all of it.

The donut do you have a frier(special machine ) or you cook oil in a pan?

/Maria Berg, Sweden

Donna-FFW said...

Love how you presented this in the pepper. Very pretty.

Kat said...

This sounds wonderful. I'll have to look for the pomegranate molasses. I've not seen it, but then I've not been looking for it lol. Thanks for sharing so many interesting recipes with us. I see a trip to Central Market in my future! Kathy

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

This looks fabulous, is good for you and has all good flavors - what more could we ask for?
I'll look for this bulgur and the molasses the next time we're in a gourmet market or in the city. We only have the regular bulgur here,which we like.
Lately I've been toasting nuts when I use them and wow..what a difference it makes.
Beautiful, beautiful photo too. Right off the pages of a swanky magazine.
Sam

Kristin said...

Thank you so much for coming over to my blog & following me! Your recipes look delicious. This sounds like the perfect summer dish.
http://sogkonniteliving.blogspot.com

Heather S-G said...

This makes me feel healthy just reading about it. And yummy flavors, too :D

theUngourmet said...

This looks great and the Pomegranate Molasses sounds amazing!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Love this presentation - these look amazing!

Marta said...

I love ancient grains used in salads, and pomegranate molasses are heavenly! this looks like such a healthy and adventurous meal. Loving it!

La Bella Cooks said...

Wow, after reading the ingredient list, it seems that these are so full of flavor. You have to love that!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Maria. I don't use a special fryer. I pour oil into a soup pot and use that instead. When I'm finished I strain and refrigerate the oil for next time.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Kristin, I'm glad you found us. I hope you'll become a regular visitor.

Anonymous said...

Wow...very indulgent sounding salad!

I have some stuffed peppers working themselves out in the slow cooker today. YUM!

NKP said...

A fabulous salad - so healthy too!
And about the dogs.. it took two of us to get the pics, one to distract, corral the pooches and one to take the pictures. :)

Debbie said...

I haven't ever cooked bulgar but that it just one gorgeous picture....

Mary Bergfeld said...

Debbie, it's good to see you here. This is one of those dishes that is ridiculously easy to make. As the boys get older you might be able to give it a try. I hope we'll see you often.

The Blonde Duck said...

That's really neat!

The Cooking Photographer said...

And bonus! It's vegan. What a great recipe.

chow and chatter said...

looks so healthy I have seen alot of stuffed peppers lately love it

♥peachkins♥ said...

I haven't tried bulgur but your recipe sounds delicious..

noble pig said...

I wish I could get my family to eat food like this. I love grains.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Peachkins, I'm so glad you found us. I hope you'll visit often.

Lori said...

I love bulgur. Wheat berries and bulgur are my favorites. Wheatberries being new for me, bulgur, my love for a while. I do like what you did with it and I love the pretty little pepper cup. Your food is so beautiful- I bet your garden is just as beautiful.

Claudia Roden has good cookbooks. I have the Middle Eastern one and I love it.

Jennifer said...

Bravo Mary! what a healthy and unique recipe. love it.

Unknown said...

I have fallen in love with your blog, everything looks great!

Lyndas recipe box said...

What a tasty and healthy dish- I love that you used pomegranate molasses! Thanks for sharing this, Mary!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Hi Baking Monster! I'm glad you found us. I hope you'll become a regular.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Finally I added you in my Reader.

I always keep a bottle of Pomegranate in the house. I like it to make a dip. Now I'm adding this recipe. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi
I made the salad last night as part of our dinner. This morning I tossed in a big handful of pomegranate seeds and ate it cold for breakfast. Yum. It was good warm too! Thanks for posting this.

Ellana

Mary Bergfeld said...

Ellana, I'm so glad you liked this. It's a personal favorite of mine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly