Saturday, July 11, 2009

Chocolate Soup



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you are looking for something out of the ordinary to intrigue your guests try a dessert soup. This one's a cross between a thick, rich hot chocolate and pudding. It's a lovely way to end a special meal or surprise the book club. The recipe comes from Cuisine At Home and it has much to recommend it, not the least of which is ease of preparation. It can be topped with an optional fruit salsa or whipped cream. The "soup" can be made well ahead of serving time, but the "salsa" should be prepared just before serving to keep it fresh and crisp. Here's the recipe.

Chocolate Soup...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
4 cups whole milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
1 bag Ghirardelli bittersweet choc chips (11 1/2 oz)
1/4 cup Kahlua or other coffee-flavored liqueur, optional
1/2 tsp salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
.Optional Fruit Salsa
1/2 cup strawberries, diced
1/2 cup fresh pineapple, diced
1/2 cup kiwi, diced
1 teaspoon sugar
Whipped cream

Directions:
1) Combine whole milk, condensed milk, choc chips, liqueur, and salt in a saucepan.
2) Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and cook, whisking ofter, until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth, 20-25 minutes (as the chocolate melts, it may look a little grainy but don't worry-it will smooth out, but whisk it often as it heats). Remove soup from heat.
3) Whisk vanilla and espresso powder together in a small bowl until dissolved; stir into the "soup."
4) If using salsa, toss strawberries, pineapple, kiwi and sugar together in a bowl
5) Serve soup warm and top with "salsa" and a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.

Cook's Note: You can make the "soup" ahead and reheat (over LOW heat) but make the "salsa " right before serving so it is fresh.

Recipe courtesy of Cuisine at Home - Splendid Soups and Spectacular Sides

28 comments :

Anonymous said...

Heavenly... I LOVE chocolate and this sounds so decadent! Cannot wait to try it. Thank you!

Karen said...

This looks so rich, I'm sure a few spoonfuls would be just right for me. Love the addition of Kahlua in it!

Jaynie said...

This looks delicious.

oneordinaryday said...

Wow. That is just perfection.

Signing Out said...

Chocolate soup ... oh, my gosh! It looks amazing!

Jane

chow and chatter said...

looks like the hot chocolates you can get in Barcelona LOL

Heather S-G said...

Sinfully delicious! This would make a fun book club surprise. Now I just need to find one (that's not virtual) ;P

Unknown said...

Cuisine At Home is one of my favorites. I have tried to trim my subscriptions, but I just can't let this one go. Thanks for sharing the chocolate soup - it's definitely a pleaser.

Hootin Anni said...

I've been wanting to tell you that I made your ice cream cake. I actually cut the recipe in half for just the two of us...now both of us wish I hadn't done it.

Yummy.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Anni, I'm so glad you tried and liked the recipe. It's good to get feedback. Hugs :-).

Deb in Hawaii said...

Beautiful! How wonderfully rich and decadent. I think it would be fun served in soup or espresso cups too.

Kathy Howe said...

It looks and sounds like something I want to try! Thanks for the recipe.

Laura said...

Unique and yet simple, and of course very chocolatey. Sounds great.

Valerie Gamine said...

Bittersweet chocolate, Kahlua, and sweet milk! Quite the triple threat. :) It sounds amazing.

theUngourmet said...

Ooh! I think this is my new favorite soup! :0)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Never heard of chocolate soup but I know that this would become a favorite of mine.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

holy moly, this sounds incredible!!! must try, asap.

Donna-FFW said...

This just shot to the top of my favorties list.

Mary | Deep South Dish said...

Oh my. Amazing.

Kathy said...

I only have one word --- Mmmmmmm.....

NKP said...

I have never had a dessert soup before, sounds amazing!

Kat said...

Wow, this sounds incredible, but I admit you had me at "chocolate" lol. Kathy

Puna said...

Mary, I don't know about this...

Katy ~ said...

Have mercy! Everyone's already said all the words I wanted to use, decadent, sinful, rich, amazing....
WOW!!

Pauline said...

Ha, I have those cups.

Unknown said...

I finally found an American blog gorgeous .. I love your sweet and I would try them again with your recipes ... I'm sure I'll manage your new friend .. Simmy

Unknown said...

Can this be frozen and reheated?

Mary Bergfeld said...

Julie, the soup does not freeze well.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly