Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Anadama Rolls





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...
I don't know how or when it happened. After years of going "over the river and through the woods" there came a day when I, ready or not, like it or not, was the grandmother to whose home the revelers cometh. I know it's terribly unsophisticated to celebrate this meal, but I'll tell you up front that I love it, if for no other reason than the wonderful aromas that emanate from the kitchen as this dinner comes together. Christmas builds to a olfactory crescendo with aromas that are released over a period of days. Not so Thanksgiving. This is an all or nothing affair. The assault begins with breakfast bacon and continues through the day as the aroma of bread and pie and turkey and cider meld into a harmonious union that could put the orchestration of a symphony to shame. Thanksgiving is not a difficult meal to prepare; it's as easy to make for twenty as it is for two, but it does require a game plan and a bit or organization to pull it off. I do a great deal of the work ahead of time. Today I made our rolls, both Anadama and potato, and enough pie crust to last us through the Christmas holiday. Everything is in the freezer waiting to debut on the big day. The pie crusts will be rolled and filled on Thanksgiving morning. I pre-bake the rolls. We talked about Refrigerator Potato Rolls last year. Since then I've resurrected this wonderful recipe for Anadama Rolls. The recipe appeared in Bon Appetit over a decade ago. I really like these rolls. There is something especially fitting about rolls made with corn meal and molasses for Thanksgiving day. Symbolism aside, the rolls are really wonderful and they are not hard to make. I know you'll like them. Here's the recipe.

Anadama Rolls...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk
1 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup warm water
1 envelope (2-1/4 teaspoons)dry yeast
4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten to blend
2 teaspoons sesame or poppy seeds

Directions:
1) Bring milk, 1 cup water and salt to boil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Slowly whisk in cornmeal. Cook until mixture thickens and boils, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in molasses and 2 tablespoons butter. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Cool until thermometer inserted into center of mixture registers 115°F, whisking often, about 15 minutes.
2) Pour 1/2 cup warm water into small bowl; sprinkle yeast over. Let stand until yeast dissolves and top looks spongy, about 10 minutes. Stir yeast mixture into cornmeal mixture. Gradually mix in 4 cups flour, about 1 cup at a time, to form soft dough that pulls away from sides of bowl. Sprinkle 1/4 cup flour onto work surface. Turn dough out onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, sprinkling with more flour by tablespoonfuls if needed, about 10 minutes (dough will remain slightly sticky). Form dough into ball. Coat a large bowl with butter or shortening. Add dough to bowl and turn to coat dough with butter or shortening. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
3) Punch down dough. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand 10 minutes. Coat each of two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with butter or shortening. Roll dough into 18-inch-long log. Cut into 18 equal pieces. Using floured hands, form each dough piece into ball. Place 9 dough balls in each pan, spacing apart. Cover each pan loosely with towel. Let rolls stand in warm draft-free area until almost doubled in volume, about 30 minutes. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Brush rolls with egg glaze. Sprinkle with seeds. Place rolls in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 350°F. Bake rolls until golden brown, about 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Store airtight at room temperature. Wrap rolls in foil and rewarm in 350°F oven 10 minutes.) Serve warm. Yield: 18 rolls.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
The Way the Cookie Crumbles - Cinnamon Rolls
Pinch My Salt - Sweet Potato Buttermilk Rolls
Cooking By the Seat of My Pants - Cloverleaf Dinner Rolls

This recipe is linked to:
Wild Yeast - Yeast Spotting

32 comments :

Jennsmere said...

Yuuuummmm!!!! There is nothing like a special roll to complete a meal! So many meals these days are finished off with a 'grocery freezer' variety. Thanks for this wonderful recipe! Can't wait to try it with our thankful feast!

Bless you, Mary...
Susan

Coleens Recipes said...

I love the color!!!

Federica Simoni said...

splendidi panini!!!!

My Little Space said...

Too bad have to use cornmeal in this recipe, otherwise or I'll try it! The process is interesting too, boil cornmeal!

KathyB. said...

I have never thought of doing so much before-hand, but this year my home will be filled with loved ones and I think I will take you up on some of the make-ahead recipes. These rolls sound delicious.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Gorgeous rolls--so plump and perfect. I bet they would be fabulous the next day with some turkey and cranberry sauce on them.

P. said...

This looks so good.
Alfazema

Debbie said...

I love Thanksgiving and all the meal planning and craziness involved. Your rolls look delicious..poppy seeds, molasses...yum!

Hootin Anni said...

I love breads....warm, straight from the oven bread....with REAL butter. LOL

And I have to agree with you, the Thanksgiving meal is easy to prepare if there is a game plan!!

And I too make my own pie crusts...I don't like reading the backs of the labels of the 'store bought kind'...all the additives and preservatives is enough to kill anyone. LOL

Happy Tuesday Mary.

NKP said...

Wow, you are super organized! Love the rolls, they look delish.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Mary, I love these. I have two separate Thanksgiving meals I am making (one Sunday, One T-day). I am sure these rolls will be a part of at least one of those days... Will blog the results if I can make you proud.

Molasses and corn meal... yum

Cathy said...

It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without homemade rolls. These looks wonderful, Mary. I'll bet the bit of molasses gives the rolls so much flavor.

Heather S-G said...

Oh Mary, these do sound like the perfect roll for Thanksgiving. I think I'll have to give them a go!! Beautiful, thanks :)

Pam said...

I love fresh baked rolls - these look and sound terrific Mary.

Mimi said...

These rolls looks delicious. Perfect for a holiday or a cozy winter meal.
Mimi

Unknown said...

Mary,
I love the color of these perfect little rolls. I bet they smell WONDERFUL!!! as they bake in the oven.
Geri

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

The aromas keep my crew hovering in the kitchen! I get so full off of the aromas that I'm too full to eat when we sit down at the table.

I like the flair the poppy seeds add to the rools. Baking bread is the ultimate aroma for me!

foodcreate said...

Dash away all they look so amazing make holidays wonderful meal I'm going to try .

Thank you for sharing your recipe :)



Have a wonderful day ~

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

I so agree, Mary, that the celebration of Thanksgiving begins with the wafting odors of good food and lingers throughout the day, tickling our senses and inviting us to enjoy and give thanks. Lovely memories you've created and your anadama rolls look like a fabulous addition to the big event! Thanks so much for sharing! Hugs, Coralie

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to make Anadama rolls but weren't really sure what they tasted like or were used for I may have to try these this holiday season.

Ljiljana said...

Fantastic, I will make them soon :)

Barbara said...

Love this recipe. The fragrance while cooking must be heavenly! Freezing in advance is a super idea.
I agree-while Thanksgiving is not difficult, it takes tons of time and intricate planning. Especially if you want to spend time with your guests. It's my most favorite meal to eat, but my least favorite to cook.

Selba said...

Delicious rolls! I love the aroma of fresh baking rolls :)

Curious Lissa said...

You are inspiring. Forget the roll recipe. I just want to come over to your house to kibitz. You sound like you've retained the fun of the holidays and discarded all the stress.

Foodiewife said...

I am so glad that I discovered your blog. I have wanted to make Anadama bread for the longest time. You've finally convinced me to do it. I'm on a yeast binge, lately. I've got all kinds of rolls I want to discover and I see you have quite a lovely collection. I'll be hanging around in your kitchen for some time. Frozen pie crust, too? I'm so impressed!

Anonymous said...

the rolls look great. i do like that combination of corn meal and molasses. do you think you could use a combination of whole wheat flour (regular or white) and AP?

Mary Bergfeld said...

You should be able to use whole wheat flour here. I'd advise no more than half and half because the cornmeal is heavy.

Lisa said...

I've long heard about Anadama Bread but never tried making it. Yours are so pretty I'm thinking it might be time!

Chef Fresco said...

Mmm delicious! I love homemade rolls!

Zurin said...

I always love rolls and the way they look so adorable individually. yours look perfect! :))

Mimi said...

I love Thanksgiving too! Especially the leftovers!

Great pictures of your outstanding rolls.

MC said...

Your pictures are always the best! Just beautiful... I am with you, I can't fathom how come my house is now Grandma's house and, like you too, I love Thanksgiving smells and tastes. It's got to be the best dinner of the year!
Beautiful rolls too...

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly