Friday, November 6, 2009

Wild Mushroom Ragu



Mushroom Ragu - made and served by Culinary Arts students at Lane County Community College



Each year culinary art students from Lane County College volunteer to serve food at the Mt. Pisca Mushroom Festival. In addition to events like this, you'll also find them manning stations at the school's Omelet Bar and Renaissance Room Restaurant. You can get a wonderful, made to order, omelet for $4, and a three course dinner that's served in a remarkably professional environment for under $10 a person. The menu is quite varied and is changed seasonally. Last time we were at the college, I had grilled buffalo and it was terrific. At this year's festival the students served mushroom ragu in phyllo cups. It was not an easy feat given the large number of people queuing to sample their mushroom special. Mushroom ragu is one of those versatile, neglected dishes that we should see more often than we do. It can be served over baked potatoes or rice. It can also be served in phyllo cups, taco bowls or puff pastry. My favorite way to serve it is over a mamaliga that been made with cheese. A well-made ragu is a kitchen triumph and it's quick and easy to do. It is, unfortunately, no bargain. Wild mushrooms and good wine are expensive, but I promise those of you who make the ragu a real taste treat. Here's the recipe.

Wild Mushroom Ragu...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
4 pounds mixed wild mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, chanterelle and button)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup dry white wine or white French vermouth
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Directions:
1) Melt butter with oil in a large deep skillet set over medium heat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 20 minutes.
2) Add onion and garlic; cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes more, or until mushrooms are a deep brown.
3) Add wine and cook until evaporated.
4) Stir in stock, tarragon and thyme. Return to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch in cream. Stir into ragu and cook until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot. Yield: 8 servings.

13 comments :

Tanyia said...

Just wanted to share...I have an award for you on my blog

http://xsurvivingmotherhoodx.blogspot.com/2009/11/award-time.html

thanks for inspiring me!

Jamie said...

OMG! This looks fabulous! I so want some of this now. Mushroom lusciousness. Bookmarked recipe: I love mushrooms and this is too creamy and yummy looking! All of your food is amazing, Mary!

Martha said...

You always come up with the best recipes!

SnoWhite said...

seriously, Mary, you're killing me with all these mushroom recipes this week! Yum-o.

Cathy said...

Mushrooms are expensive and this recipe really shows them off. I would serve it with egg noodles. What a treat!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I just found this same thing at my CC!!!

My wife and I have been once, and we are signed up for the end of semester bash! It is a great deal and lots of good food!

Great post,

Unknown said...

What a GREAT!!! combination of herbs with mushrooms.
Geri

La Bella Cooks said...

I am crazy about anything to do with mushrooms and this has me wanting to get moving towards my kitchen to get this made. Heaven on a plate!

My Little Space said...

Such a flavourful mushroom dish! That would so good to have it with some white rice.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love any ragu but mushroom is so earthy, savory and good. Yum!

Katy ~ said...

Wow, what a showcase for the mushroom. Beautifully prepared and presented.

Sara said...

I am loving this! I just love mushrooms :)

free online adventure games said...

Another simple mushroom dish! This recipe is for keeps. I'd love it over rice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly