Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Southwestern Skillet Chicken with Rice and Black Beans



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...November in Oregon is no stroll on the boardwalk. It's almost always wet and it's hard to escape the pervading damp that penetrates and chills the bones. What's different this year is the temperature. It's been cold and we are spoiled. Locals here call any spell of weather that falls below freezing an Arctic Express. It's our version of the Mistral and, I am here to tell you, it passed through the valley last week. Our temperatures, which are normally quite moderate, plunged and we even had a sprinkling of snow. Foul weather and holiday preparations interrupted my usual exercise regime and I never got out for my daily walk. I was determined to get back with the program today. I rushed through my morning chores, anticipating what I call a sun break. While we have lots of rain, it rarely rains all day and there are usually intermittent periods of sunshine.When the sun broke through I was ready and headed out the door, full of vim, vigor and enthusiasm, despite admonitions from the Silver Fox who thought it was a bad idea. I had walked about a mile when the sky turned a steely gray and dumped its core. Within seconds I was drenched and began the trek home. You know who met me at the door and, fortunately, did not say what he was thinking. He did, however, have an insufferable grin on his face. Once warmed, I sat down to think about dinner. When the children were small, this would have been a chili day. Unfortunately, my chili recipe makes enough food to feed a small country and I didn't want to deal with leftovers. That thought, however, set me to thinking about other recipes that fall into the category I call "good grub." They're completely lacking in refinement but absolutely delicious and perfect for family and very good friends. I settled on this recipe because it's easy to do and I guarantee delicious. It's very loosely based on a recipe that appeared in Cook's Country magazine. It, sans chicken, would also be a great meal for Meatless Monday. I hope you'll give it a try. Here's the recipe.

Southwestern Skillet Chicken with Rice and Black Beans...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite, inspired by Cook's Country magazine

Ingredients:

8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 + 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided use
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons minced garlic
1-1/2 cups long grain white rice
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 ounces Colby or Monterey Jack cheese , shredded (1 cup)
1 (15.5-oz.) can of black beans, drained, and rinsed with water
1 (10 to 12-oz.) package of frozen corn, thawed and patted dry
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Optional: Salsa for serving

Directions:

1) In a plastic bag, combine flour with 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Shake off excess flour and set aside.
2) Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook until golden, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate.
3) Add onion, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, scraping up any browned bits, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
4) Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Stir in the rice and cook until edges turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer.
5) Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for about 15 minutes. Place chicken on top of rice in skillet and cook, covered, for another 10 minutes.
6) Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Stir in black beans, corn, cheese, and cilantro. Let cheese melt for 1 minute. Season rice mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with salsa. Yield: 4 servings.

You might also enjoy these recipes:
White Turkey Chili - Inspired to Cook
Navajo Tacos - Kitchen Gypsies
Southwestern Steak and Grits - The Shoe Box Kitchen
Baked Shrimp with Tomatillos - Simply Recipes
Sizzling Southwestern Flank Steak with Creamy Salsa Verde - One Perfect Bite
Southwestern Chicken Tacos - The Corn Bread Kitchen

40 comments :

JG said...

This chicken dish would taste so good on a chilly day! I am saving this recipe - Thanks!
~Judy

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Valérie said...

"Good grub" really sums it up. This looks so comforting on a cold day!

Jamie said...

Mary! Hello dear! I've been away too long! This chicken dish is indeed the best meal for these cold, rainy days. Bookmarked!

StephenC said...

Lately I've become very fond of rice dishes of this type. Everything in your recipe is much to my liking.

Mel said...

I love Cook's Country skillet dishes and this version looks incredibly delicious. Thanks for posting!

Priya Suresh said...

Very tempting and rice dish..

Unknown said...

Though clear across the country, from your description of Oregon, when I look outside my window... I feel like I am right there with you!

This looks like such a comforting, awesome meal! Wonderful photo! I can taste that chicken!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have just added this good grub to my menu for this week. It has all of my favorite ingredients and I love rice dishes that you don't have to cook the rice first.

Your lucky man . . . you got rained on and inspired to make a yummy cozy dinner. You rock, Mary.

Fondly,
Glenda


P.S. I forgot you lived in Oregon.

Katerina said...

I bet this rice will taste really good since it is cooked in the same skillet you did the chicken, plus you add all these fragrant ingredients.

Monet said...

This looks like the type of meal to warm you up after a cold and dreary day! I love the Northwest, but I have been spoiled living in Colorado. I don't know if I could handle so little sun. Thank you so much for sharing with me. Happy Hump Day!

PeggyR said...

This sounds really good!

Faith said...

I absolutely love warm, cozy meals like this! Great combination of flavors in there! Hope you're having a wonderful day, Mary!

Big Dude said...

Sounds delicious Mary

Flavia Galasso said...

I'm going to try this recipe...just a question...how can I substiture Colby or MAnterey JAck cheese here in Italy?? Thanks ...hugs, Flavia

tinyskillet said...

Mmmm...this looks really good.

We Are Not Martha said...

Yum! Way to kick up some chicken and make it way more fun than usual. Love it!! :)

Sues

Hayley said...

nice chicken dish...

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh you poor thing!! Your hubby was a good sport to avoid temptation and not say I told you so!! I think you were already miserable enough! The dinner looks great, it's the simple things that are usuually the best, I don't like very fancy sfood usually.

Diane said...

This looks a really good dish for a chilly day. It sure is that here in the UK, lots of snow and a very chilly wind. The roads are icy as are the pavements. I hate it. Diane

Kim said...

What a great meal with lots of flavor! I really like it! Have a nice day!

Rita said...

I love this recipe; full of flavour and good healthy combination.

Flavia Galasso said...

I will try with sweet provolone chesse ...thank you...I'm going to sleep....blessings, Flavia

Claudia said...

I'm freezing in MN! Just looking at this mouth-watering,comforting dish wards off the chill.

From the Kitchen said...

When the weather turns, I turn to the bolder flavors of the southwest a lot of the time. We had a skiff of snow today but the weekend holds the promise of a snow "event"! This could very well end up on our snowbound table. Well, that's a great exaggeration but I'm having a pity party over the loss of a lovely fall.

Best,
Bonnie

Gloria Baker said...

This look really yummy Mary, blessings dear, gloria

Ann said...

This dish looks wonderful. I'm getting hungry just looking at it!

flying eagle woman said...

Oh Mary - I'm at the eastern side of Oregon...it was a horrific month (for more reasons than a blog comment can stand) but this I know, comfort food IS exactly what it says COMFORT FOOD...this dish looks both yummy and doable!
SMILES
Shawna

Kath said...

Wow! I love chicken and rice dishes, and your Southwestern version looks outstanding! Thank you for sharing it.

Julie said...

This looks delicious for those cold winter days. Love the southwestern flair on black beans a rice.

Unknown said...

Ugh! Don't you had it when they are right :) At least you made it home safely, even if a bit wet!
The chicken dish looks wonderful. I love "good grub"!

Rhonda said...

I'm originally from Washington State so I can sympathize with your weather. Of course as a Montanan now, I laugh at how I used to panic at a little snow...we have 2 feet now and expecting 6 more inches this weekend.
BTW, rice, chicken and beans...perfection!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Cheese makes everything better!

Marguerite said...

This dish looks wonderful and I especially like the beans and rice combo! Thanks for another great recipe!

Elin Chia said...

Mary...this is perfect rich dish for dinner on a chilly nite..mmm I can imagine how good those chicken are with the rice and black beans. Looking at it now makes me salivate :) Thanks for the recipe .

Have a great day,
Elin

Faith said...

In the almost four years I have lived here I have become a cold pansy :) Last week we went outside when it was snowing and I was shivering so bad! I was all about the soups and the warm stuff last week! This surely would of fit the bill!

cocoa and coconut said...

This type of meal will definitely keep you warm and hearty during the cold. You poor thing getting so wet!

Angie's Recipes said...

I am a sucker for such dishes! Perfectly golden encrusted chicken!

tata | bonitafood said...

This dish sounds heaven Marry :D

Bunny said...

Bookmarking this for sure to make! It sounds wonderful, just the kind of meal my husband and I love!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly