Thursday, May 5, 2011
Two Mushroom Pates - Choose Sherried or Creamy
Sherried Mushroom Pate
Creamy Mushroom Pate
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite... I have two more recipes that I want to include among the dips and spreads we are collecting here at One Perfect Bite. While both are for a mushroom pate, they are quite different from each other in terms of taste and texture. One is almost perfectly smooth and figure friendly, the other is a bit chunky and caloric. Both are easy to prepare and can be used as a dip, spread or stuffing. Like all recipes of this type, the pate is wonderful for entertaining because it can be made a day or two before serving. While they are best made with a combination of dry and wild mushrooms, they can also be prepared with the plain ol' button or cremini variety. Unfortunately, these mushroom pates don't have a great deal of eye appeal and you'll have to be creative when you plate them. I know that those of you who are fans of mushrooms will enjoy both these recipes. We'll make it up to those of you who aren't in other posts. Here are the recipes for the two mushroom pates.
Sherried Mushroom Pate...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite adapted from Vegan Cooking
1-1/2 cups finely chopped mild white (sweet) onion
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups assorted finely chopped wild mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon dry thyme
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided use
1 cup toasted almonds, finely ground
2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
1) Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. When oil shimmers, add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in mushrooms and thyme and cook until mushrrom liquid is evaporated. Set aside.
2) Mix ground almonds with reserved 2 tablespoons olive oil in a separate bowl.
3) Combine mushrooms and almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Mix until smooth. Pulse in sherry wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill. Serve with crackers, sliced baguette, or vegetables. Yield: 1-3/4 cups.
Creamy Mushroom Pate...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Carol Gelles
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 cups finely chopped wild mushrooms
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, cut in 8 pieces
3 tablespoons heavy cream
Salt and pepper
1) Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
2) Add shallots; cook, stirring, until softened, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Continue cooking until any mushroom liquid has evaporated. Stir in parsley and thyme; cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
3) Remove from heat. Stir in cream cheese, a piece at a time, until melted and combined. Stir in heavy cream. Chill. Serve with crackers or in small tart shells. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
One Year Ago Today: Green Curry Turkey Burger with Asian Relish
Two Years Ago Today: Orange Glazed Fiesta Chicken
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Mushroom Crostini - Bell' Alimento
Southwestern Stuffed Mushrooms - Mommie Cooks
Mushroom Risotto - Simply Recipes
Quick and Easy Mushroom Strudel - Fig and Cherry
Mushroom Stroganoff - Creatively Domestic
Mushroom Tacos - Handle the Heat
Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms - A Thought for Food
Portabello Mushroom Pizzas - My Kitchen Adventures
Santa Fe Mushrooms - Maggie and Wilson
Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms - Louanne's Kitchen