Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fresh Salmon Salad with Homemade Boiled Dressing




Homemade Boiled Dressing





Fresh Salmon Salad


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...We're heading for the coast today. Pollen counts here in the valley are fearsome and a day of ocean breezes will help clear the head and get the holiday weekend off to a rousing start. I've organized a potluck of sorts and my contribution to communal feast is going to be a salad made with cucumbers and freshly poached salmon. This is not wedding or garden party food. The salmon will be served in chunks that are lightly tossed with a homemade boiled dressing and it will be accompanied by a selection of breads for those with trenchermen appetites or carb cravings. I made the dressing yesterday and it is happily chilling in the refrigerator. The salmon and I are communing as I write this. Once it is done, I'll break it into chunks and refrigerate it as well. My plan is to combine and toss the various elements of the salad just before serving. The combination is lovely and I plan to use the extra dressing for other salads this weekend. Mine will be just one of many dishes that we share today and I'm really looking forward to sampling all of them. Here are the recipes for the boiled dressing and the poached salmon salad. I know that those of you who try them will be really pleased with the results.

Boiled Dressing
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups milk
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
1) Combine flour, sugar and salt in a heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk.
2) Place over medium heat and cook, stirring, until mixture starts to boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
3) Gradually stir the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Pour back into saucepan.
4) Add vinegar and mustard. Stirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.

Fresh Salmon Salad...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
Salmon
3-1/2 pound piece fresh salmon
1/2 lemon sliced
1-1/2 tablespoons salt
6 whole black peppers
1 bay leaf
Tops from 2 celery stalks
Dressing
1-1/4 cups boiled salad dressing
1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoon fresh snipped dill-half that if using dry
1-1/2 cups peeled cucumbers cut in 1/4-inch dice
Optional garnishes
Leaf lettuce
Tomato wedges
Lemon wedges
Sliced cucumber

Directions:
1) To make salmon: Wash salmon. Place in large kettle or fish poacher. Add just enough water to cover. Add sliced lemon, salt, black peppers, bay leaf and celery tops. Slowly bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30-35 minutes, or until fish flakes when tested with a fork. Using a slotted utensil, carefully remove salmon from water and transfer to a plate. Let cool until it can be handled. Remove and discard skin and any bones. There should be about 2-1/2 pounds of salmon remaining. Break into large chunks and chill for several hours.
2) To make dressing: Combine boiled dressing, lemon juice, dill and diced cucumbers in a medium bowl. Mix well and chill for at least one hour.
3) To serve: Just before serving toss salmon with dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Line a bowl or plate with lettuce. Mound salmon in center. Garnish as desired. Yield: 12 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Swedish Strawberry Cream Cake















Two Years Ago Today: Watermelon, Corn and Black Bean Salsa







You might also enjoy these recipes:
Smoked Salmon Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette - Just One Cookbook
Smoked Salmon Salad with Dilled Bearnaise Dressing - All Day I Dream About Food
Roasted Salmon Salad with Dill and Balsamic Vinaigrette - Cafe Sucre Farine
Simple (Sensational) Salmon Salad - Cooking with Michele
Lemon-Caper Salmon Salad - Coconut and Lime

44 comments :

Ali said...

I hope you have a great time at the coast. I wish I could sample the foods at your potluck. The salmon salad looks delicious. :) Have a great weekend!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It just sounds delicious Mary. I am headed to the farmers market before work and I hope they have salmon.

Diane said...

Have a great trip to the coast. Wish I was joining you after reading these two recipes and I am a big salmon fan. Take care, Diane

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

I hope you have a wonderful vacation. That dressing looks so good. I can see it becoming a staple in my house!

Kim said...

It's great summer meal and this vinaigrette looks good! It sounds delicious. Have a good day Mary!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Nice delicate flavors for the summer lovely!

StephenC said...

Holy cow, that's one whopping piece of salmon. I am fascinated by the boiled dressing. May have to try it just so I can say I did!

From the Kitchen said...

Have a lovely idyl by the sea! I have never done a boiled dressing but they were standbys for my mother. Otherwise, she used Miracle Whip! I plan to do yours as it sounds delicious.

Happy 4th to you and yours.

Best,
Bonnie

Clint said...

This recipe looks fantastic and has been passed along to the Cinderoo for proper processing. Bon apetit.

sangeeta said...

Great dressing with cooked egg :)
I hate raw egg in the mayo...

lena said...

boiled dressing..something new to me! enjoy your holidays!

miri leigh said...

I am making salmon tonight...so this will be the perfect dressing. Thank you!

Elin Chia said...

Mary...enjoy your holidays and your boiled dressing looks great for the poached salmon. Thanks for sharing...will make this for my salmon salad one of these days. I heart salmon :) Happy Independence Day to you too :)

Cheers,
Elin

Susan Lindquist said...

What a wonderful salad! here in New England, the traditional 4th of July picnic dinner is poached salmon and peas and new potatoes. I think I like your cool salmon salad idea better!

Have a wonderful celebration and enjoy those ocean breezes!

Pondside said...

It's all about salmon here these days, as it's inexpensive and plentiful in the grocery stores right now. I've never made a boiled dressing - sounds intriguing!

PeggyR said...

This sounds very good!

June said...

I'm thinking you must have brought the sun with you because it just arrived after a cloudy morning. It is beautiful as is your salmon salad!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This looks just DIVINE and so great for a hot summer day! I have printed it and cannot wait to make it!!!! If there is any leftover dressing, how long will it keep in the fridge? Hope you have a great time on the coast!!

Anonymous said...

Dressing looks fantastic on the salmon! Can't wait to try it.

Jann said...

I can't wait to try this dressing~the salad is making my mouth water!

Banana Wonder said...

Boiled dressing and a salmon salad... yum! Can I come with you to the coast?! PLEASE?! My parents just drove up from the OC to visit last night and I got $30 worth of wild salmon which I baked with a marinade of ginger, green garlic and lemon. Good stuff! Love, love love salmon.

JG said...

I like the tilt of your jar of salad dressing! Getting ready to pour on the yummy salmon.

Oh, the pollen falls into our Pioneer Valley, also, and that's when our air cleaner comes in really handy.
~Judy

Gen said...

Can I come to your house for lunch?? Great recipes!!! :D

Jocie's Mom said...

Great boiled dressing. I'm a sucker for dijon anything. Combine it with salmon and mine is a happy tummy :)

Beverly said...

Mary, you've surely got a winner here. I want some - right now.

And, even better, it is pink.♥

Anonymous said...

I never heard of boiled dressing but the ingredients sound divine, divine! Hope your summer is going well!

Mini Baker said...

i LOVE salmon!!

Monet said...

This is perfect! Ryan is just back from Alaska with almost 50 pounds of fresh salmon! Thanks for sharing, sweet friend. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend, and I wish you a very happy 4th!

Melinda said...

Sounds yummy!
Enjoy your coastal outing. Hope the air helps.

Have a great holiday!

Melinda

Sutapa said...

A very delicious and healthy salad, and your boiled dressing is just divine!

Angie's Recipes said...

I will have to make your boiled dressing! Looks so good!

Red Nomad OZ said...

Salmon ROCKS! And this looks a perfect recipe for almost any occasion!!

Even though 4 July isn't a holiday downunder here in OZ, I hope you have a happy holiday weekend!!

Lenia said...

I am a salmon fan and your salad with this great dressing has really made my mouth water!Excellent idea!!!

Joanne said...

I love salmon just about any way possible and I think this sounds like the perfect potluck offering! Have a great weekend Mary!

Karen Harris said...

This elegant salad reminds me of something Ina Garten would make for a beach picnic. Cool, simple, classic. I can't wait to give this a try. Thanks so much for this recipe.

Big Dude said...

Mary - I don't know what a trencherman appetite is, but I'm confodent I'd eat my fair share of it.

Rivki Locker said...

what a lovely day you have planned. the technique for this dressing is intriguing! bookmarking it to try soon.

Desserts In My Kitchen said...

Your salmon salad looks amazing. I love salmon. The boiled dressing looks wonderful as well. I will try this. Thanks

The Harried Cook said...

That boiled dressing sounds incredibly good, Mary! I just have to try that soon... yummy! I hope you had/have a wonderful time on your trip :)

Anonymous said...

I have never heard the term boiled dressing before! Hope you enjoyed your sea time :)

~~louise~~ said...

I haven't seen a recipe for boiled dressing in ages. Just perfect for that gorgeous piece of salmon, Mary. Have FUN!!!

And, thanks for sharing...

David said...

Mary, Great Salad! Relatively healthy too...with the salmon to satisfy someone like myself who really isn't crazy about any meal without meat or seafood. I could eat this once a week! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Cooking Creation said...

I hope you had a good time! I could have this salmon salad every day for lunch and never get tired of it!

That Girl said...

I've only used boiled dressing in coleslaw. Never thought of using it for anything else!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly