Saturday, July 16, 2011
Glazed Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Bars
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is not tea party fare, but if you picnic or provide snacks for a youth group or school sports team, you might want to add this recipe to your files. These cookies are really easy to make and what they lack in refinement they make up for in taste. The recipe is so straight forward, that I have little to add to the instructions that appear below. I've found the flavor improves if the cookies are made the day before you plan to serve them. They also freeze well if long term storage is your goal. I do have one small caution to share with you. While freezing does not harm their flavor, it will cause the gorgeous glaze to lose its sheen and become cloudy. I hope those of you who have children will give these a try. You won't be disappointed. Here's the recipe.
Glazed Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Bars...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home Magazine
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons water
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1) Grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2) Cream butter, peanut butter and white and brown sugars in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, water and vanilla.
3) Combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Gradually add to creamed mixture.
4) Spread in prepared baking pan. Bake until lightly browned, about 18-22 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, combine peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch chips in a microwave bowl. Melt, on HIGH power, stirring until smooth. Pour over warm bars, spreading evenly. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting. Yield: 48 bars.
One Year Ago Today: Cowboy Caviar
Two Years Ago Today: Grilled Pork Burgers Indochine
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies - Girl Gone Gourmet
Chocolate Revel Bars - Baking Bites
Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies - Sugar Pies
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies - Peanut Butter Boy
Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Cookies - Eat Good 4 Life