Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Corn and Barley Salad



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you're looking for something new to serve at your next picnic or barbecue, you might want to give this corn and barley salad a try. Barley is an underutilized grain in most of our diets. It's been cultivated for over 10,000 years, but was, for much of that time, considered to be animal fodder or the grain of the poor. It was brought to North America by English and Dutch settlers who used it to make their bread and, perhaps more importantly, their beer. The grain has a rich nutlike flavor with a texture that is similar to pasta and it can be purchased in pearled, hulled and flaked form. Pearled barley, the form we most use, is polished or pearled to make it faster cooking. In this recipe, it is combined with corn and other vegetables to give it sweetness, color and a bit of additional texture. This salad works really well with Southwestern-style meals and is a nice change from standard picnic fare. I used quick-cooking barley to make the salad I served last night, but if you are concerned with nutrient loss, and time is not an issue, other forms of barley can be used. This makes a really nice salad. Here's the recipe.

Corn and Barley Salad...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
Salad
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1/4 cup chopped seeded peeled cucumber
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Dressing
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Directions:
1) Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in barley. Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes , or until tender. Cool.
2) Combine tomato, corn, red pepper, cucumber, onions and barley in a large bowl.
3) Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over barley mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 5 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Grapefruit and Avocado Salad wirh Poppy Seed Dressing












Two Years Ago Today: Cajun Shrimp Etouffee






You might also enjoy these recipes:
Colorful Grilled Corn Salad - The Baking Beauties
Summer Corn Salad - 101 Cookbooks
Rainbow Corn Salad - The Heritage Cook
Corn Salad - The English Kitchen
Laura's Corn Salad - Simple Daily Recipes

42 comments :

Linda Starr said...

What an unusual combination, I bet this is really good.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

second recipe I have read in the last 10 minutes with Barley... I think someone is telling me something.

And just love how the colors pop in your photos. I have such a tough time making brown dishes in bowls look good

Unknown said...

I can honestly say that I have never had barley...BUT...I think this salad looks amazing and I would love for this to be the first way I tried it!!

~~louise~~ said...

Now there's a combination I never thought I'd be saying in the same sentence, intriguing, Mary.

It just so happens I have some barley just waiting to be enjoyed. I may just have to give this a try!

Thanks for sharing...

Diane said...

What a great idea, love this and the info is interesting as well. Take care Diane

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I really love barley and tend to stock up frequently, although I find there are not enough good recipes around for me to cook it regularly. This is perfect for me - a lovely combination of whole grains and fresh summer ingredients.

StephenC said...

At our house we love barley. Every reason in the world to make this. Sounds like you thawed the corn but did not further cooking?

Renee Paj said...

I actually have two boxes of barley in the pantry right now. I have only used it in soup, so this would be a really good way to use some of it up, I think! thanks Mary!

Elin said...

Mary, this salad is so healthy and I love the combo of barley and corn...I shall try this out when I have cooked barley at home :)

Have a nice day,
Elin

purabi naha said...

I am so inspired by your recipe! I always wanted to figure out what to do with barley...since these are considered so healthy! Now I have your post to refer!

PeggyR said...

Oh that sounds great! I may have to try that one.

Rachana said...

What a refreshing and delicious salad!!!

Stephen said...

Wow, I had just posted a salad on my blog as well. The weather is making cooking over fire a real challenge. Of course we love the opportunity to still challenge ourselves. This salad is something new to me, but sounds really interesting and good.

Anonymous said...

Give my grandpappy some corn and barley, a kettle and some copper line, and he'd give you moonshine in about a week. Cheers!

Clint said...

Another home run from our cleanup hitter, Mary.

Jessica | Cajunlicious said...

Great recipe Mary! Healthy & Delicious!!!

That Girl said...

Great use of barley!

Becka (The Elegant Eggplant) said...

What a wonderful idea Mary! I love experimenting with grains like barley, kasha, etc. And the corn right now is SO good... I am excited to try this one. Nice job!

Amy J. and Tiffanie A. said...

Great recipe! I love barley only have 2 recipes for it now I have a good 3rd!! Thanks!

dr.antony said...

A very unusual combination !
Cookery needs lots of imagination!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

A different healthy combo....lovely..

Ginny Hartzler said...

I really like barley. But the only way I have ever tasted it is in Campbell's Vegetable Beef Soup!! I didn't know you could eat it cold!

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Something different. Looks good and tasty. I can imagine the corn and barley compliment each other well. I have some barley in the cupboard, I'll have to try it.

Joanne said...

I adore barley and with corn being so delicious right now, this sounds like an ideal salad!

Janine said...

AS AlWAYS!!! Your recipes never fail to amaze me!! Love this one!!

From the Kitchen said...

This does sound deliciously different. If I get to the point where I can stop eating corn right off the cob I'll give it a try. So far, my tiny little mother holds the record of eating corn on the cob for my family--5 ears in one sitting. I'm hot on her heels!!

Best,
Bonnie

Heather S-G said...

I really, really love barley...such a fantastic texture. This sounds like a comforting dish, yet so fantastically healthy. It's a must try!

Maris (in Good taste) said...

I adore barley and now I have a great recipe to enjoy

teresa said...

this looks wonderful! i love barley, but rarely eat it, i can't wait to try this!

Beloved Green said...

Barley does get a bad rap, it deserves a little of the limelight.

Rinku Naveen said...

Sounds so healthy and yumm. Never tried barley in salads. Will sure give it a try

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Mary, Believe it or not, I had a dish similar to this one year in a little town in Germany. Thank you for the recipe.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I love and adore things like this that can be served at room temp, still taste delicious, AND be healthy! Don't get me wrong - I love serving some naughty things at get togethers. Which makes dishes like these a refreshing course in between. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I do use barley,something different and often there where I would use rice.Great combination:)

Banana Wonder said...

barely is an amazing and under used grain. glad to see you are bringing it back!

Barbara said...

I was watching Jamie Oliver making something with barley recently. We don't use it nearly enough, do we? In soups, yes, but not as a side dish or salad. This looks wonderful Mary!

We Are Not Martha said...

What a fabulous, unique salad to bring to a BBQ. Looks great! :)

Sues

Little Inbox said...

Oh yes! This is a nice dish to come up with. :)

Jocie's Mom said...

Mmm! I'm imagining it with some perfectly grilled BBQ chicken :)

Cooking Creation said...

This has everything I love in it! I love barley and use it frequently in soups. Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Perfect for a picnic! I love everything about this dish. Fresh and delicious!

Anonymous said...

I haven't cooked much with barley. This recipe looks delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly