Monday, September 12, 2011

Mexican Bizcochitos - Anise Butter Cookies



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I haven't featured a lot of cookies this year. I've been trying to balance my sweet and savory entries, and as a result I've been neglecting them. I'm going to play catch-up this week and focus on grown-up cookies from various parts of the world. I don't think these cookies will appeal to children, but if you enjoy afternoon tea, or like a nibble with your wine, I hope you'll stay with me and follow the recipes I'll be posting for the next few days. The first to be featured is a rich anise and butter biscuit that comes from New Mexico. It's believed that the cookies originally came from Spain where they were known as mantecosas. They have the unique distinction of being the first ever confection to be named an official state cookie. New Mexico gave them that honor in 1989 and no holiday or celebration in that state would be complete without them being offered. They are easy to make and they age really well. As a matter of fact, I think they are at their best if made a day before they are served. I have on various occasions doubled this recipe to feed a crowd and when I make them for the Silver Fox and myself, I cut the recipe in half. I know those of you who enjoy European-style pastries will like these. The mild anise flavor is a perfect counterpoint to the buttery taste of the bizcochitos. Here's the recipe.

Mexican Bizcochitos - Anise Butter Cookies...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 cups butter, softened
1-3/4 cups sugar, divided use
2 eggs
1/4 cup thawed orange juice concentrate
4 teaspoons aniseed, crushed or ground
6 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1) Cream butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange juice concentrate and aniseed. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well..
2) Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
3) Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and sprinkle over cookies. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 5 dozen.








One Year Ago Today: Spaghetti Frittata















Two Years Ago Today: Smoked Salmon Frittata







You might also enjoy these recipes:
Thin Mint Cookies - The Flourishing Foodie
Ginger Cookies - Carrie's Sweet Life
Mojito Cookies - Baking Bites
Salted Caramel Bars - Jane Deere
Pain D' Amande: Italian Almond Cookies - The Hopeful Kitchen

This post is being linked to:
Smiling Sally - Blue Monday

46 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Can you believe I have never had anise before?

mia xara said...

I like the concept of anise in cookies!I would love to try them!!

Pondside said...

I have a very old recipe for Bizcochitos from a friend of my mother. I am dying to make your version, as it is one of our favorite cookies. I normally only make them for Christmas, but I see an exception coming.

Katarina said...

These must be really delicious!

Kate said...

I would love to try your recipes... It looks yum!

tori said...

Gorgeous. A small glass of campari on ice and a few of those, on a balcony with my book would set me up for a perfect afternoon.

Flavia Galasso said...

Here we have a lot of cookies with anise, but OI never taste these ones...have a splendid day, hugs, Flavia

Ruth said...

I can only imagine how fragrant these must be with the anise - they sound very good, perhaps to put with ice cream and fresh pineapple as a dessert. I must try it!

Priya Suresh said...

Scrumptious cookies,feel like munching..

Lynn said...

They sound perfect Mary! Looking forward to your series this week:@)

It's all About Clark said...

Hmmm yummy...I want to try that cookies recipe..Visiting from BM.

Anonymous said...

Love the flavors of anise, orange and cinnamon - looking forward to more grown up cookies.
Mary

Kim said...

I really like learning about cookies from a lot of places. These, with orange and anise, would please me a lot with my afternoon cup of tea!

Martha said...

These sound lovely. And when I'm at the market, I'll get the orange juice and make them -- they seem to be a lovely afternoon cookie.

Clint said...

Keep these away from me or I'll eat 'em all.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Anise is one of those flavors that you either love or not...I love it. The rest of the family is on the not so much side, which works for me because they won't eat all my cookies (lol)!

Unknown said...

I bet these tasted soooo good! I'd love like a dozen of them right now!

SmilingSally said...

My Italian mother-in-law used to make Anise cookies.

Thanks for sharing your blues.

Happy Blue Monday, Mary.

sally said...

Anise sounds like an interesting cookie flavor. I'll definitely have to give this recipe a try.

LV said...

I enjoyed these cookies. Never had them. My mother made what she called tea cakes, but they were actually cookies, that were heavenly.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

OH MY... licorice flavored cookies! On my list! great post
Dave

From the Kitchen said...

I think these cookie will be perfect with an afternoon's bracing cup of tea!

Now, back to the tomato cobbler. I thought I knew it all (just ask The Baker) but I've never made, had or seen a recipe for tomato cobbler. Now I'm worried that the tomatoes might be over before I can make one!!

Best,
Bonnie

Karen said...

For some reason anise stands out to me, can't remember what I've had using this ingredient - the cookies look delicious. Thank you for stopping by and visiting so I could find you. :)

Ana Rita Marreiros said...

Those cookies sound delicious!!I love anise in the jams and cakes...


Kisses,
Rita

San said...

Cute cookies and the combo seems really interesting. I will finish off the entire cookies.

San

Lenia said...

Excellent idea!I would love to try them!

teresa said...

how lovely, i bet the anise flavor is wonderful in a cookie, delicious!

Karen Harris said...

I love pizzelles with a touch of anise and I also love sugar cookies so these sound like a delightful combination. I'll have to make these soon.

PeggyR said...

I love anise!

That Girl said...

I don't think I've ever heard of a state cookie!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a huge fan of the anise flavor but they cookies look delicious nonetheless!

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef said...

How interesting! I love that you labelled it an "adult cookie." I totally get it. :)

Barbara F. said...

Mary, these sound sooooo good, a keeper recipe for sure! xo

Joanne said...

Mmm I ADORE the flavor of anise and it sounds just lovely in these cookies!

Laura said...

I've never made these cookies myself ( I have 4 kids and as you say, they really don't appeal to kids) but I have eaten them. They are very good and perhaps I will try making them for some special occasion.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your lovely comment. I love to meet new people.

((Hugs))
Laura

Barbara said...

Some people really don't care for that anise flavor, but I'm not one of them. I've never tried it in cookies so this will be an interesting experiment, Mary. I love most herbs in cookies, so I should really like these.

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of grown-up cookies. These sound divine. I have the opposite problem--I tend to neglect savory items because of my huge sweet tooth!

France said...

Butter cookies are one of my favorite things. I've been trying to eliminate processed sugars from my diet so cookies and I have become strangers. I think it's about time we became reunited!

Pie said...

Yum!

My Blue Monday is here.

bj said...

I'm not sure I've ever had anise before...must try these.
xo bj

Our Southern Nest said...

Hi Mary! What an amazing blog! I have already found three things I want to make and I haven't even scrolled down the page entirely. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Our Southern Nest, and leaving your sweet comment. I am your newest follower!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I would love one with my evening cup of tea. I like your mix of sweet and savory.

Fondly,
Glenda

The Blonde Duck said...

How delicious!

boyzmom said...

Hi Mary, thanks for the sweet comments on my little ole blog! It was started as a way to catalog my recipes for my 3 boys...someday I hope to print it for them. I will definitely be browsing through yours, what I see so far looks wonderful.
Julie

Norma said...

I rememeber my days in Mexico and having these. You brouht me back sweet memeories and something to make this week.

AllThingsYummy said...

I can't wait to bake these. Such a unique cookie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly