Thursday, September 22, 2011

Rice and Mixed Bean Salad



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This salad was a regular feature at our picnics and barbecues this past summer. I'd normally retire it for the season, but the dish proved to be so popular that I've decided to keep it on hand for church suppers and other covered dish affairs. The ingredients needed to make it are always available and the salad is simple in the extreme. It is an assembled dish and if you have a can opener you've got the salad. You've probably had more rice and bean combinations than you'd care to remember, but I'm here to urge you to try just one more. This one is really, really good. The salad dressing is what sets it apart from most others of its ilk. It is bright and fresh and has a decidedly Southwestern bent that makes it great to serve with Mexican suppers or plain grilled entrees. The salad can be made the day before it is to be served and it keeps well. If you have leftovers, serve them with warm pita chips and they both will disappear. I think those of you who try this will enjoy it. It won't change your life, but it will make it easier. Here's the recipe.

Rice and Mixed Bean Salad...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
Salad
3 cups cooked basmati rice
1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
4 green onions, sliced
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
1) To make salad: Combine rice, both types of beans, corn, green onions, sweet pepper and cilantro in a large bow.
2) To make dressing: Combine oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Chill until serving time. Yield: 6 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Zucchini Fritters
















Two Years Ago Today: Moroccan Shepherd's Pie






You might also enjoy these recipes:
Rice and Bean Salad - Chocolate and Zucchini
Black Bean Salad - Simply Recipes
Grilled Corn Salad - Recipe Girl
Black Beans and Rice Salad - Mennonite Girl's Can Cook
Chicken Rice and Black Bean Salad - Sidewalk Shoes

26 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

This looks like something good that could always be kept on hand and would keep a long time!

Anonymous said...

I love combination of rice and beans although my favourite beans to use would be Belotti;)

Priya Suresh said...

Thats a wonderful bowl of filling salad..

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Oh that looks super yummy and easy.

Fabi said...

Hello Mary,
It looks so colourful, it's really beautiful and I love the dressing. Big hug from Spain, dear!

Becki's Whole Life said...

The rice and bean combo in salad form sounds great - especially with all of the extra flavors like cilantro and your dressing. I would keep this on the menu year round if I were you:-)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Such a comforting dish for the last hurrah of summer!!

~~louise~~ said...

Lookin' good Mary!

Thanks for sharing...

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I love rice and bean salads. I'll give this one a try for sure. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Yum! What a great side dish. Rice and beans are always delicious together.

StephenC said...

In our case you are preaching to the choir. Peter and I make things of this ilk quite often. Nonetheless, there are plenty of folks out there who aren't members of the choir.

Clint said...

Excellent post. Can't beat rice and beans, even as a light main course.

Tasha said...

This is a great recipe to keep on hand, since it uses ingredients I always seem to have. Perfect for casual entertaining, especially when you have several other dishes to prepare as well.

Anonymous said...

You have convinced me! this sounds absolutely delicious. I'm looking forward to trying this.
Mary

Gloria Baker said...

What nice and delicious salad Mary! gloria

Unknown said...

Dear Mary publishes a different recipe every day I was back to comment on those wonderful spiced potatoes and a salad that I find here is just wonderful rice kiss Simmy

Cindy said...

Yum! Reading food blogs is like going to the grocery store when you're hungry. This salad looks delicious and easy. I'm always looking for good transport friendly foods for these busy days.

I'm having a little giveaway on my blog this week. Stop by and say hi. PortlandPeeps.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Perfect dish to say farewell to summer. Great flavors and colors. Looks delicious, Mary!

Anonymous said...

I love to cook, and am glad that I landed here!!!

That Girl said...

This looks really really good!

Swathi said...

Rice and mixed bean salad looks delicious. love it

Joanne said...

there's always room for more rice and beans in my life! This looks so pretty!

kitchen flavours said...

Your rice salad looks perfect! I have always wanted to make some, yours look so delicious!

Michelle said...

oh that sounds so yummy Mary :) Making next week I'm always interested in trying new meals.My 6 yr old daughter will hand pick the beans out and eat them...

Cindy said...

Looks like a wonderful combination. Thank you, I'll try it soon.

Terri @ that's some good cookin' said...

I am glad that you posted this recipe before you retire it for the season. The salad looks wonderful and I don't doubt that it will become a favorite around my house.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly