Saturday, October 8, 2011
Pumpkin Cake with Caramel Icing
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Once pumpkin recipes begin to appear in magazines, you know the holidays can't be far behind. For the past several years, I've been seeking recipes that present old favorites in different ways. Today's recipe is a perfect example of what I mean. It is not new, but it combines elements of old recipes in such a way that it seems to be new. A standard spice cake is enhanced with pumpkin and then served warm, dripping with a sweet caramel sauce that is a wonderful counterpoint to the moist and spicy cake. It is an easy dessert to make it and it's always well received. It is perfect for the Halloween and Thanksgiving holidays. Here's the recipe for those of you who'd like to try this lovely seasonal cake.
Pumpkin Cake with Caramel Syrup...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 cup canola oil
1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
2) Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
3) Combine eggs, pumpkin and oil in another bowl and beat until smooth.
4) Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until well-blended, about 1 minute.
5) Pour into prepared baking pan. Bake fe a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center of comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
6) To make sauce: Combine brown sugar, flour and salt in a small saucepan. Stir in water and butter and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cut cake into squares and serve with warm sauce. Yield: 12-16 servings.
One Year Ago Today: Pickled Pepper Relish
Two Years Ago Today: Colcannon - An Irish Halloween Tradition
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Pumpkin Cupcakes - The Four Points Foodie
Mum's Pumpkin Bread - A Foodie and Her Family
Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal - The Hungry Housewife
Double Ginger Pumpkin Tart - Inspired2Cook
Peanut Butter-Pumpkin Blondies - My Baking Heart