Friday, December 30, 2011

Onion Parmesan Toasts



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I've been out of sync with the world this week. It continues to move at a mazurka pace while I'm definitely in minuet mode. Worse yet, the goodies assembled for the holiday are nearly gone and we still have well-wishers stopping by for holiday visits. While I don't want to bake more cookies, I do want to have something to offer guests who come to call, so I pulled out some recipes for casual savories that I think will do as well. I've included these toasts because they are very easy to do and the various elements needed to make them can be done ahead of time and then assembled just before serving. This is a decades old recipe that has been retired several times, but the folks at Gourmet magazine refused to let it die, and, after brief periods of rest, kept bringing it back for yet another generation of cooks to enjoy. It's hard to believe that four ingredients can make such delicious mouthfuls. I was among the doubters when I first read the recipe, but thought enough of the person who recommended it to me to give it a try. I'm so glad I did that. This is a straightforward recipe and chances are you have everything you need to make it in your pantry and refrigerator. If you don't have cocktail bread, quarter slices of what you do have and use that instead. While I prefer these made with sweet onions, yellow onions can be used in a pinch. Simply soak the chopped onions in cold water for 15 minutes and then drain and pat them dry. It is best to assemble these just before they are broiled to prevent the toasts from becoming soggy. You can also use a toaster oven, which I actually prefer, to broil them. They should be served warm. I do hope you'll give these a try. They are a perfect small plate dish and I think you'll enjoy them. Here's the recipe.

Onion Parmesan Toasts...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of The Gourmet Cookbook

Ingredients:
3/4 cup chopped sweet onion such as Vidalia or Walla Walla
1/2 cup mayonnaise
14 slices party (cocktail) rye or pumpernickel bread
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Directions:
1) Preheat broiler.
2) Stir together onion and mayonnaise.
3) Arrange bread slices in one layer on a baking sheet and broil 6 inches from heat, turning once, until lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side until lightly toasted (watch carefully). Remove from oven and turn toasts over.
4) Spread evenly with onion mixture and sprinkle with cheese and freshly ground pepper.
5) Broil until topping is bubbling and lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes (watch carefully to prevent burning). Serve warm. Yield: 14 hors d'oeuvres.









One Year Ago Today: Cranberry Trifle


















Two Years Ago Today: Spiced and Pickled Shrimp

28 comments :

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks delcicious! It reminds me of fresnch onion soup without the soup part but my favorite is always the bread and cheese.

Priya Suresh said...

Happy 2012 wishes dear..Irresistible toasts.

Pondside said...

These are, indeed, a treat!

Coleens Recipes said...

This looks excellent, I would choose this over cookies any day!!

Alessandra said...

Savouries are good, we have been eating too many sweet things these days, and when something savoury is offered it disappears quickly, so yes, i tend to go for savouries too!!!

Have a wonderful New Year celebration Mary!!

Ciao
Alessandra

Zee said...

Looks like I am about to have anew favorite toast!;)

Alicia Foodycat said...

They sound really good! I might even make them for lunch.

Carol at Serendipity said...

Mary,

I think these are the first hors d'ouevres I ever made! I had forgotten how good they are. I will pick up some cocktail bread today.

Wishing you a very Happy and Healthy New Year!

Carol

That Girl said...

I've made Fannie Farmer's version of this. It's such a funny dish to share with friends.

Big Dude said...

I can see why it keeps coming back - simple and delicious. The french toast looks Sooo good as well.

Kim said...

Onions and cheese goes so well together, it would be a shame not preparing this! It looks delicious!

Tracy's Living Cookbook said...

These remind me of my childhood because my mom always made them for company. I, too, have been making them for years! Delicious! Perfect for New Years!

Unknown said...

I bet these are just delicious! Warm, bubbly, and oh so good!!!

Barbara F. said...

I would try this topping on a pizza crust! It sounds so delicious. Happy New Year to you, Mary. All the best in 2012. xo

Chris and Amy said...

Great idea, and easy enough for last-minute entertaining. Happy holidays! Hope you get back in sync soon ;-)

Foodiewife said...

I'm with you. I'm tired of cookies. However, savory is always good. I've had this savory treat before, and it is delicious. Last week, someone served this in artichoke hearts. Equally delicious! I hope you have a wonderful New Year. Thanks for all your terrific recipes, Mary.

Ginny Hartzler said...

These look just wonderful!! And you are right, just from reading the ingredients, you would never think!! Well, I must try them now!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

I remember the first time I had this years ago. I couldn't believe that something with so few simple ingredients could be so good. Have a wonderful New Year.

JG said...

These are good!
Happy New Year to you & your family.
~Judy

CoffeeBreakCrn said...

Mary, those look amazing! I can't wait to try out the recipe.

Oh and I loveeee your blog name. =)

Thank you for visitng my blog. I have a new DIY 2012 calendar if you want to check it out.
http://coffeebreakcrn.blogspot.com/2011/12/diy-2012-calendar.html

teresa said...

this looks so delicious! i love the flavor of onion, perfect for the new year!

Joanne said...

What fun little toasts! I love that they're made from pantry ingredients so you can whip them up any time!

Tanna said...

Sounds like a delicous little snack!! Cheese, mayo, onions, bread... how could you go wrong with that. ;) blessings ~ tanna

Banana Wonder said...

YUM! These look and sound so delicious. I love Walla Walla onions and toasty things so this is perfection. Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a happy new year!

Claudia said...

I'm such a savory-lover. Yes, on all accounts. Bless Gourmet for bringing them back again and again and you for sharing.

Sarah B. said...

mmmmmm! Sounds tasty!!!

tender b. said...

These look really simple yet yummy!

Sharon Koenig said...

Those look really good! I'd like to load them with a ton of cheese, that's my favorite part! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly