Thursday, February 16, 2012

Corn and Hominy Casserole






From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This lovely casserole can be served as a side dish or as a meatless entrée for lunch or a light supper. The recipe, originally develop by James Beard, has been changed substantially for health conscious cooks and diners. The original recipe used 9 tablespoons of butter and full-fat sour cream. I cannot tell a lie, it was delicious. This scaled back version is tasty as well and I like to serve it as a Lenten meal, along with soup or salad and tortilla chips. This dish used to be called two corn casserole because it is made with a mix of yellow sweet corn and hominy. Hominy is a food made from corn kernels that are soaked in an alkali solution of either lime or lye. The solution removes the hull and germ of the corn and causes the grain itself to puff up to about twice its normal size. Hominy is a common ingredient in Southern and Mexican cooking. This dish is really easy to prepare and it's a great starter recipe for young or beginning cooks. The casserole works really well with barbecue or Southwestern-style meals. I know that those of you who try this will appreciate its unique combination of flavors and the ease with which it comes together. There is nothing here not to like. Here's the recipe.

Corn and Hominy Casserole...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by James Beard
Ingredients:
3/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1/3 cup cilantro
1 cup reduced-fat sour cream or sour half and half, divided
16 ounces frozen corn , thawed
2 cans (15.5-oz each) hominy , drained and rinsed, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Monterey or pepper jack cheese
3 tablespoons butter
cooking spray
1 teaspoon dried chervil

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a tall-sided casserole dish with cooking spray. Combine bell and jalapeno peppers. Stir cilantro into sour cream. Layer 1/3 of hominy, then 1/3 of corn in casserole. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Top with 1/3 cup mixed peppers. Cover with 1/3 cup sour cream, then 1/2 cup cheese. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter.
2) Build a second layer with 1/3 of the hominy, 1/3 of the corn, 1/3 cup mixed peppers, and 1/3 cup sour cream. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter. (this layer is not seasoned or topped with cheese).
3) Build final layer using remaining hominy, corn, mixed peppers, sour cream, and cheese. Dot with final tablespoon butter. Sprinkle chervil on top of casserole.
4) Bake casserole, uncovered, for 40 minutes. Allow to stand for 10 minutes. Yield: 4 to 5 servings.






One Year Ago Today: Glazed Lemon Chicken
















Two Years Ago Today: French Quarter Beignets

33 comments :

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

Good heavens! I am a hominy addict. Always looking for new hominy recipes. Can't wait to make this. I made Pozole yesterday. I've been known to eat hominy right out of the can, cold. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.

Chiara said...

thanks for sharing this tasty recipe Mary, have a good day, blessings....

Banana Wonder said...

Mmmm mmmm, I LOVE everything that is in here.

Red Nomad OZ said...

Whoever had the imagination to 'discover' hominy??!! I've never had it - not sure if it's available downunder. Corn is my favourite vegetable, so I'm sure I'd LOVE this dish!!

Unknown said...

Oh dear Mary thank you so much for your lovely words on my blog!! Your is outstanding! I follow you at all!
Thank you, your blog'll be source of inspiration for my recipes too!! Love, C.

Selene said...

LOVE your blog! it's amazing!
new follower right now!!!
Selene
http://hipandchips.blogspot.com/

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I had to smile when you wrote that this had been changed a bit Mary. James Beard had a heavy hand with butter, cream and many other calorie laden ingredients. But they sure did taste good.

Thanks for lightening it up. We don't eat like the original anymore either.
Sam

Big Dude said...

I must admit when I read the title it didn't excite me, but we're always looking for hominy recipes. After reading the recipe, it has moved to the must try list and yours looks delicious.

Kim said...

I think hominy will be uneasy to find around here... In fact, I had to look on the net what it was, I had not a clue! This casserole looks really good... Next time I get by a mexican store, I'll buy some!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Well there is another thing I have never tried...hominy!

The Blonde Duck said...

I know it's a sin, but I've never tried hominy.

Tanna said...

LOVE hominy. I'm adding this one to a menu with smoked chicken for the weekend!! Thank you, Mary! blessings ~ Tanna

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, James Beard is one of my favorites!! This looks satisfying and delicious. Blessings, Catherine xo

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

I am one to confess I have never tried hominy. After looking at this dish, I am going to try it.

Claudia said...

I have never tried hominy and love James Beard - but these days - yes - lightened up. This will make it to my table for a meatless meal.

From the Kitchen said...

I'm recommending you for induction into the Southern Belle Gourmet Society! Dust off your hooped skirt and frilly bonnet. I haven't eaten hominy in years mainly because The Baker finds it rather bland. I think he's going to like your dressed up version. And, speaking of dressing up, one has to practice sitting in a hooped skirt.

Hope you are on the mend.

Best,
Bonnie

Tim said...

Looks delicious! The standing time cannot be correct, however. Please recheck and correct. Thanks!

StephenC said...

Good for you, Mary, for putting out some educational info about something as wonderful as hominy. I use hominy quite often and cannot say enough good things about it.

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks really pretty. I always wondered how we could eat something that had been soaked in lye!

Beverly said...

Mary, this sound yummy - and I have some hominy in my pantry. This will be on our table very soon.

Rita said...

This is something I have never tasted, but always wanted to. Must keep my eyes open for hominy.
Rita

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

That looks really good. I've never had hominy, but I love corn and cornbread. This appeals to me and I think The Mister would like it too. Thanks, I love to try new things!

Mickey said...

Two of my favorite things. This looks delicious, I would of never thought to mix them together. Yum.
mickey

Mary Bergfeld said...

Thanks Tim. The time has been corrected. It should be 10 minutes. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Sue/the view from great island said...

I love corn so much I could eat that casserole before it's cooked, both photos look so delicious!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I bet this dish did taste good with all that butter, but this recipe will suit me better. I need the lower fat versions these days.
Have a great day Mary.

Jennifer Kendall said...

wow, this sounds delicious! definitely want to try this soon!

A Paixão da Isa said...

humm que delicia adorei bjs

Noni said...

hi Mary, thanks for checking out my blog and for the kind words. Hominy isnt very widely used, is it? i love it, I make posole with it, its one of my favorite soups! Have a great day.

http://anoninoni.blogspot.com/

Joanne said...

I'm kind of a hominy fanatic so this casserole must be made! Comfort food central.

tenderb said...

This would be right up my alley. I love hominy.

N Quamar said...

It is treat to see the beautiful images of nice food. I become able to make a few dishes. Thanks for sharing

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh my, Mary, this dish looks heavenly! It is perfect for a meatless meal!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly