Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dimpled Apple Cake



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The upside to being housebound is the time that's gained to explore new blogs and test recipes that have been waiting in the wings. I know I could iron or straighten closets, but when I have stolen time I prefer read or bake. Most of you know that I have a real weakness for apple cake. Actually, I have a serious problem and have been known to grow weak-kneed when the aroma of baking apples and cinnamon hits my nose. I know I need help. My hope is that a program will be formed before I've plucked the last apple from the last tree in America. This time, though, the Silver Fox had a hand in my undoing. Having just found the, new to me, blog The Kitchn, I called him over to take a peek at Faith Durand's apple cake. He must have liked what he saw because he volunteered to peel and core apples if I'd make the cake. What's a girl to say? I had a volunteer to do the heavy lifting, so I let him have a go at the apples while I assembled the other ingredients. The cake came together quickly, and within the hour the two of us had a piece of still warm cake to enjoy with our afternoon coffee. The cake, which is made with yogurt and olive oil, has a Mediterranean aspect and a unique, slightly tart flavor that sets it apart from other apple cakes I've tried. It is delicious, though much less sweet than you would expect. I found that refreshing and can recommend this cake to anyone who likes their treats warm and barely sweet. The cake wants to stick to the pan, so I'd advise you to use a really healthy coating of non-stick spray when you prepare your pan. This cake is very moist and when allowed to sit for a day or two it becomes more like a bread pudding than a cake. I prefer it fresh and warm from the oven. While this is not my all-time favorite apple cake, it is very nice and I will make it again. I hope you'll give it a try. Here's the recipe.

Dimpled Apple Cake...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Faith Durand via The Kitchn

Ingredients:
Cake
1-1/2 cups Greek- yogurt, well-stirred
2/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 small tart apples, such as Granny Smith, about 1-1/2 pounds
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground nutmeg
Cinnamon Streusel
2-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided use
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with baking spray or olive oil.
2) Whisk together yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Peel and core apples, and chop into chunks about 1/2-inch across. (My apple chunks were 1-inch across). You should end up with 3-1/2 to 4 cups of apples. Stir chopped apple into the liquid ingredients.
3) Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon right into the liquids and stir just until no lumps remain.
4) In a small separate bowl, mix remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon with the brown sugar and butter.
5) Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Cover with half of cinnamon-brown sugar mixture, dropping it on batter in small lumps. Cover with remaining cake batter, then top with last half of cinnamon-brown sugar mixture.
6) Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, covering with foil if top gets too brown. When a tester comes out clean, transfer pan to a cooling rack and let it sit for at least 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.









One Year Ago Today: Peanut Crusted Chicken Breast with Sweet Onion Sauce














Two Years Ago Today: Shrimp Enchiladas Verde

42 comments :

mr. pineapple man said...

Mmmmm yummy! Can I have some ice cream on the side too?

Eileen said...

It certainly looks delicious. It sounds like something a little different. I have a huge weakness for apple cake myself, so I'll to try this one.

Unknown said...

Me too, me too! Why do housework when you can cook! Today I had piles (yes, plural) of ironing but what did I do - cook! This apple cake looks so tender. I do imagine that warm from the oven it would be perfect!

Ailyn Sánchez said...

This recipe sounds great...love the olive oil in cakes, will try this one. Ihave mede one with rosemary and chocolate....http://cocina-quetecocina.blogspot.com/2012/01/pastel-de-aceite-de-oliva-romero-y.html
Greetings...

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, this cake can be categorized with health food and should be eaten every day to stay healthy! So many good ingredients!

Amalia said...

This looks delicious! I can see why your fox wanted to help you peel and core the apples :) I would too! I still haven't made a cake that involves olive oil, darn it! I need to get on that because your description of it sounds like something my family and I would really enjoy. Great photos and recipe, hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

Cloudia said...

BINGO!



Warm Aloha from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

>< } } ( ° >

Katarina said...

I can feel the aroma of cinnamon and apples! That's a great combo. Have a great day!

Duncan D. Horne - the Kuantan blogger said...

Hi Mary, this looks scrumptious! Have a great weekend!

Duncan In Kuantan

Lynn said...

The cake sounds very interesting with the olive oil! I love thekitchn, have you seen seriouseats.com too? Happy Sunday:@)

Unknown said...

I've always loved dimples on smiles (my husband has the cutest ones!) but now I love them on cakes too!! I think this would not only make a wonderful dessert but also a lovely coffee cake!

Becki's Whole Life said...

Looks yummy and I like that it isn't overly sweet. This is actually a relatively healthy recipe as far as cakes go because it uses olive oil and greek yogurt and less sugar. The apples are good, too! I will have to try this - have always wanted to try a cake with olive oil!

SImple and Serene Living said...

Mary, this just sounds delicious. I need to stop reading your blog before I go down to breakfast. It makes my bowl of gruel, I mean oatmeal, not sound so palatable. This is definitely another one to put in my Mary folder for future use. Hope you have a wonderful day.
Laura

Kim said...

I totally understand your weekness for apple cakes... every fall I bake apple cakes, apple pie, apple crisps, apple muffins, apple turnovers, just because I loooovveee the aroma when these are baking! I like this cake with olive oil, it's probably really moist! i bookmark it!

Miss Red said...

this looks wonderful! apple lends such a yummy flavor to cakes.

Mª Ángeles said...

It looks delicious. It's always a pleasure to visit your blog.

QembarDelites said...

Oh that looks good! I love the smell of baking apple and cinnamon combo too!

Kathy said...

Mary, This looks wonderful…so moist and delicious!

Chelsea said...

I also love apple cake! This sounds delicious!

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, It is true, when we are housebound sometimes we get to do things we normally would not be able to.
This dimpled apple cake looks like time well spent. Delicious with a good cup of coffee. Blessings my dear, Catherine xoxo

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Mary, would I be able to use apples I have in my freezer, would you think? Thank you ... appreciate your so kind advice. Oh yes, and could the Greek Yogurt be substituted with plain or sour cream as well. Just full of questions, I am .... with good day greetings to you as well, Mary.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Oooooh, that looks and sounds amazing. I adore a super-moist cake and the apples and cinnamon thing does it for me too! I'm intrigued by the fact it uses olive oil...that's something I'd like to try. Maybe not 100% guilt-free, but pretty close!
Thanks for sharing the recipe!

SallyBR said...

This is exactly the kind of cake I love the most!

Until today, I only made one apple cake, from Dorie Greenspan, also with chunks of apples. Now I have your recipe in my files to try another one...

Debbie said...

I love using olive oil in cakes. I also happen to have a bunch of apples on hand that I need to use soon or they will be rotten!!!

Sofie Dittmann @thegermanfoodie said...

This looks so yummy! I'd like that w/ whipped cream, please! :) Oh, and before I forget, I gave you the "Sunshine Award" not too long ago, just to mention it! XO

Diane said...

I love apple dishes and this sounds really yummy. Keep well Diane

Katherines Corner said...

Mary your blog makes me hungry, giggle. everything looks and sounds delsh! xo

From the Kitchen said...

Obviously you have not heard of A.C.E.A (Apple Cake Eaters Anonymous). I am a member and would like to act as your sponsor. That would be only after I've battled you for the last apple on the tree. May the best woman win!!

Best,
Bonnie

The Harried Cook said...

This sounds great! I like that it uses olive oil and that it isn't too sweet! My kind of cake... I would LOVE a warm slice of that right now... Thanks, Mary! :)

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

This looks very much like a lovely apple cake my Nana would often make. Although in those days, nobody had thought of Greek Yogurt and olive oil as ingredients in Queens, NY! I'm going to give this a try to how the tastes differ.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

i am still clinging onto winter comfort foods, mind you with a weaker grip these days. This is a very comforting dish.

Kristy and Adam said...

Hello Mary, Like you both Adam and I have a weakness for anything with apples and cinnamon - such a delicious combination! Your dimple apple cake looks superb and I wish we lived closer to pass by for a slice with a cuppa :). We have just posted a masterclass on a truly decadent and luxurious dessert - it's certainly got all the WOW Factors! Pop on over to check it out 'Citrus and chocolate surprise with roasted pistachio filo cigar'
http://earthwalkersfpcp.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/citrus-and-chocolate-surprise-with-filo.html?utm_source=BP_recent

Best wishes,
Kristy and Adam
earthwalkerfpcp.blogspot.com.au

mia xara said...

Hi Mary, the cake looks verrrry tasty! I adore apple cake and I surely wanna try this recipe!XOXO

Deepthi KR said...

hello dear, first time to ur blog!!!!
I like your presenation and lovely recipes!!!Happy to follow you!!!! do stop by mine!!!!
Good Food Recipes

Sarah @ Homestyle Cooking Around The World said...

This looks like a wonderful moist cake- I will have to try this with a nice cup of tea or coffee. I like the yogurt in it- probably what keeps it so moist. Have a great week- hopefully you will be "melted out" soon!

Joanne said...

a "mediterranean aspect"...I like the sound of that! Love the simplicity of this cake!

What's Baking?? said...

What a cute name for a cake and it looks yummy too.

Salsa Verde said...

I love cakes with apple in it and there's no recipe that I see that I don't try so, believe me that your recipe will very soon be tested by me and I'll let you know how it went.
Thanks for sharing,
Lia.

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

Warm out of the oven with a scoop of ice cream...YUM!

Lisa @ Snappy Gourmet said...

I have a weakness for apple desserts year-round! This sounds delicious!

tender b. said...

These look great for a bad weather day.

Bourbonnatrix said...

that cake looks delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly