Thursday, May 24, 2012

Rhubarb Cheesecake Squares






From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a nice dessert to make when rhubarb and the tart berries of early summer come to market. These bars are not terribly sweet, so if you have a demanding sweet tooth,  you'll probably want to increase the amount of sugar used in the cream cheese filling.  I like to vary the fruit that's used to flavor these bars, and I  freely swap  raspberries or cherries for the rhubarb that is typically used to make them. I have a real weakness for cheesecake, so I'm especially appreciative of recipes that allow the cake to be served in smaller, more figure friendly portions. It's my hope that one day I'll  actually  develop the  discipline needed to stop at one piece. I really think you'll enjoy these. They are easy to make and they can be made a day or two before you plan to serve them.  I hope you'll give them a try. Here's the recipe.

Rhubarb Cheesecake Squares...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Betty Crocker

Ingredients:
Crumb Crust
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Filling
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar 
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb, raspberries or sour cherries

Directions:

1) Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of jelly roll pan, 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1 inch, with shortening, or spray with cooking spray.
2) Beat flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, salt and baking soda in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until crumbly, or mix with spoon. Press about 4 cups of the mixture in pan. Reserve remaining crumbs.
3) Beat cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Stir in rhubarb. Spread over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Press lightly.
4) Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set. Transfer pan to a wire cooling and let sit for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours but no longer than 48 hours. For bars, cut into 10 rows by 6 rows. Yield: 60 bars. Store covered in refrigerator.










One Year Ago Today: Stir-Fried Asparagus with Salted Cashews and Ginger















Two Years Ago Today: Creamy Onion and Blue Cheese Soup















Three Years Ago Today: Blueberry Salsa




31 comments :

Lynda said...

I love cheesecake bars of any kind. These look wonderful with the tart rhubarb Mary. Will try as soon as I find the rhubarb.My supermarket hasn't had it yet so will check the farmer's market this weekend.

Unknown said...

They look delicious. Thankyou for sharing as I will be tucking this one away for my next dinner guest. Elizabeth from thedotdotblog.

Chiara said...

I love bars, thank for sharing Mary, have a good day, blessings...

Katarina said...

Oh, I love cheesecake and rhubarb! These look so yummy!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never seen rhubarb used in this way, it must be the tastiest recipe for it!

Banana Wonder said...

Cheesecake weakness too! These look so good and I love rhubarb desserts.... Oregon's only fruit at the moment besides those strawbs.

Anonymous said...

All you had to say what cheesecake square and I was hooked :D
Yum!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Lynn said...

This sounds great! I still have rhubarb in the garden:@)

Martha said...

Oh my Mary! They sound/look delicious! I love the tartness of rhubarb! Have a wonderful day!

Alessandra said...

I like this, what a great way to use rhubarb!

Ciao Mary!

Alessandra

Big Dude said...

Sounds delicious Mary and I'm sending to my rhubard growing/loving relatives in WV.

tender b. said...

Cheesecake bars sound like an excellent way to enjoy cheesecake and fruit.

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Oh I am so going to make these, Mary. Thank you. Also one of my Recipe Exchange members made your Rhubarb/Strawberry Pie I had shared, loving it! Enjoy the day...

Kim said...

I made rhubarb square last weekend but I can say that mine were'nt as great as yours because of the cheese touch. I like it a lot!

Tanna said...

Yeah... I don't think just one bar is going to satisy me. LOL! blessings ~ tanna

Priya Suresh said...

Fantastic cheesecake squares, looks awesome.

Unknown said...

Anything with cheesecake in the name is a hit with me! They look perfect.. the creamy middle.. the fruit! I wish I had at least two squares right now!

Unknown said...

Mary, I could probably eat my weight in this - it looks so delicious! I'm not a huge fan of rhubarb but I think this could change my mind!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

How wonderful you are! I went to a yard sale this weekend supporting a local women's group and they actually walked around serving us Rhubarb Cheesecake Squares.

"I have to look for this recipe", I said.

Thank you.

Jane said...

These sound so good! I love rhubarb .. and cheesecake! Yum! Have a great day!

JG said...

I always like cheesecake - any variety. With Rhubarb and Oats it sounds so delicious! I'm bookmarking this. Thanks, Mary!
~Judy

Suzie said...

I love the fact that they're not too sweet :) And I have plenty of rhubarb right now...yay!

Claudia said...

Made 4 rhubarb sweets this week. Looks like I'm making a 5th.

Diane said...

Oh wow these look sooooooo good. Diane

grubarazzi said...

Wow. These have my mouth water. I'm also wonderfully impressed by all of your tips. They help inspire!

Baking Addict said...

How lovely and seasonal and in a cheesecake too! yum!

Dining Alone said...

I haven't had rhubarb in years, I need to seek some out here in the desert!

Ana Regalado said...

That cheesecake bars has my name on it ! :D Looks really good ! It's been a while since I baked cheesecakes pfffttt !

SnoWhite said...

I love rhubarb - and the cheesecake bars you have here have been drooling.... and planning when I can make them! Yum.

Joanne said...

The tart rhubarb must cut the sweetness of the bars so nicely!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

I am such a sucker for bars like this with the crumb like topping. DELISH! And I haven't had much success in the whole 'stopping at one' either. This recipe won't be any different. I can already tell... Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly