Sunday, June 17, 2012

Bob's Blueberry Blintzes



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...When the Silver Fox and I first had children, we agreed not to call each other Mom or Dad. Father's Day was always a celebration planned and executed by the kids and that worked wonderfully well until we all scattered across the country. Now, while there are still telephone calls and silly cards, the celebration has become very low key. I've taken to preparing one or two of his favorite dishes to make the day a bit more special, but that is usually the extent of the celebration here. His request this year was for blueberry blintzes and Korean barbecue chicken. I want to share both recipes with you, but we'll only touch on one tonight. I'm not usually fond of my own recipes, but this one is special and it is an exception. I love it for lots of reasons. While it requires some effort to prepare, it is a great way to feed a crowd. The recipe can be doubled or tripled if you are so inclined, and it is a marvelous addition to a brunch buffet or special breakfast. There are three basic steps to the blintzes and they can be executed in stages that make the dish quite easy to prepare. The most difficult is the preparation of the crepes. If that is off-putting to you, buy crepes in the supermarket and carry on with the rest of the recipe. If you plan to make them, remember that your batter should be about as thick as heavy cream. Additional water or flour can be added to reach that consistency if needs be. If you want tender crepes, let the batter sit for at least two hours before cooking. The resting time allows the flour to absorb the liquid and the foam to dissipate. Cover and refrigerate the batter if it is to sit for longer than 1 hour. The filling and the blueberry sauce are really easy to do and you'll have no problem with either of them. The sauce used in this recipe is exceptional and it still makes my socks go up and down. I know those of you who try this recipe will be delighted with the result. Here's how the blintzes are made.

Blueberry Blintzes...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite
Ingredients:
Crepes
1-1/2 cups 2% milk
3 eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Filling
1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
1 package (3 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Blueberry Sauce
1 cup water
1/2 to 1 cup sugar
2 cups frozen unsweetened mixed berries
1/2 cup port wine or grape juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 cups fresh or frozen thawed blueberries

Directions:
1) To make crepes: Combine milk, eggs and butter in a small bowl. Combine flour and
salt and add to milk mixture. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Heat a lightly greased 8-inch nonstick skillet. Pour 3 tablespoons of batter into center of skillet and lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom of pan. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil. Refrigerate.
2) To make filling: Process cottage cheese in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl and add mascarpone cheese. Beat until smooth. Beat in sugar, orange zest and vanilla.
3) To make sauce: Bring water and sugar to a boil. Add frozen berries and wine or juice; return to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Mash and strain berries, reserving juice. Return juice to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until mixture is reduced to 1 cup. Combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and mix until smooth. Stir into blueberry sauce and bring to a boil. Cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Fold in berries. Set aside.
4) To assemble and cook: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread about 1 rounded tablespoonful onto each crepe. Fold left side of crepe over filling. Fold bottom side up and top side down to encase filling. Finally, bring right side of crepe to center, forming a small package. Place seam side down in a greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Bake for about 10 minute, or until heated through.
5) To serve: Place 2 warm blintzes on each of 8 dessert plates. Top with warm blueberry sauce and serve. Yield: 8 servings.
 
This post is being  linked to Stone Gable's On the Menu Monday feature.







One Year Ago Today: Linguine with Peas, Garlic and Ricotta Salata















Two Years Ago Today: Southwestern Cilantro Rice Salad
















Three Years Ago Today: Ultimate Cheater's Pulled Pork



30 comments :

Nash Nordin said...

Wow! That crepe and blueberry on top looks amazing!

Coleens Recipes said...

I have NEVER made a crepe, yours look delicious!!!

Priya Suresh said...

Looks marvellous,irresistible and yummy..

Lynn said...

Sounds like a special breakfast! No doubt these are great:@)

Alicia Foodycat said...

They sound absolutely delicious! I have had strawberry blintzes but never blueberry. I hope Bob had a lovely day!

Angie's Recipes said...

Your blueberry blintzes look so lovely. I need to triple the recipe!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I absolutely love blintzes with their cheese filling. And to put them over the top blueberry would be my favourite!

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I just love crepes. I find making them comforting, just like meatballs. And I love blueberries. So why haven't I ever made blintzes? I will, I will!

Unknown said...

Ooooh these are fabulous! Yes, us too, we never called each other Mum or Dad. Hope Silver Fox had a great Father's Day!

Ellen B Cookery said...

These look incredibly delicious. My husband, having grown up in Belgium, loves crepes, but I've never been able to perfect them. I think I now know why ... Thanks for the explanation!

Kim said...

Blintzes are soooooo goood! Your recipe looks pretty awesome Mary and the blueberrie sauce is probably very good with these chesse stuffed crepes!

Judy@SavoringToday said...

Those blueberries look like they are ready to explode with juiciness and flavor. Sounds like you celebrate fathers day like we do--good food--hope the day is great for both of you.

June said...

Wow - port in the blueberry sauce? That REALLY got my attention. What a great idea! Love blintzes and can't wait to make these.

Dining Alone said...

Yum, look at the size of those blueberries! This looks so good, wish I had some for breakfast right now.

Chiara said...

what a delicious breakfast!blessings...

tender b. said...

I can see why he would request this recipe. Sounds great!

Gloria Baker said...

aaahh absolutely delicious I love blueberries!!

Jane said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Happy Father's Day to him, hope you both have an excellent day.

Ginny Hartzler said...

So a blintz is a crepe with some lovely things on it instead of in it?

Valérie said...

Coincidentally, we had crepes (savoury and sweet) for dinner last night! With strawberries, though, as blueberries aren't quite here yet. But these look scrumptious!

Hmmm... I don't think my husband and I will call each other "Mom" and "Dad" either - at least I hope not!

France@beyondthepeel said...

What a special treat for your husband. With blueberries starting to flood the markets, I'm sure to give this a try.

Unknown said...

I'm sure it would make my socks go up and down too :)))!!!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Mary, you are speaking my tummy love language! The filling in those blintzes is reason enough to make them. I love to make crepes, so that part is enjoyable. I am having a house full for July 4th and wouldn't these make a great breakfast?
Thanks for this crowd pleasing meal!
Happy Father's day to your silver Fox.

Please join me with this great recipe for my weekly meme ON THE MENU MONDAY! Post goes live tonight at 8:00. Everyone will love this recipe!!!!
I have gotten so many wonderful recipes from you!!!!
Thanks!

hobby baker Kelly said...

Those look so delicious! I grew up on blintzes. I miss blintzes. I must make some blintzes!

Anonymous said...

These look SO delicious - I've never actually cooked blintzes - perhaps now's the time!
Mary x

Anna C said...

I haven't made crepes in ages.These look absolutely delicious!

Unknown said...

These sound delicious! What a great way to star the wonderful blueberries that are showing up everywhere right now!

Joanne said...

I definitely don't ever want to be called mom by my future spouse, so I love that you two did this. I also love these blintzes! WHat a fun breakfast for your husband to wake up to!

Nicoletta Palmas said...

"Here for you the sixth issue of Open Kitchen Magazine, our on line food magazine.
Browse it for free:
 
http://www.openkitchenmagazine.com/il-magazine/

we are waiting for you!
Don't forget that you can also become part of our international team in the next issue.
Open Kitchen Magazine Team "

David said...

Mary, Neither my wife nor myself have ever made a crepe. We have some nice fresh blueberries so this presents an opportunity! Thanks for the recipe... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly