Monday, June 18, 2012

Korean Barbecue Chicken





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...We had some wonderful food this weekend, bested only by new photos of our younger grandsons. They are as cute as they look and the food, while not as photogenic, was really delicious. Yesterday, I mentioned that the Silver Fox made a special Father's Day request for Korean barbecued chicken. I was happy to comply. We have a small but affluent Korean community in town and there are several excellent restaurants that cater to their tastes. We often frequent them, in part to learn, but mainly because the food is so fresh and tasty. That's how I learned about Korean barbecued chicken. It was love at first bite and I was determined to attempt a reasonable facsimile of it in my kitchen. I've tried several times, but haven't been able to duplicate it. However, in the course of my kitchen trials I came up with a barbecue sauce that is sweet, hot and so delicious that it might cure the major ills of the 21st century. The sauce is very easy to make, though it uses a hot chile paste that may be hard for some of you to find. If you are unable to find Korean chile paste, called gochujang, in your local Asian market or on-line, use three to four tablespoons of Sriracha in its stead. While this recipe uses boned chicken thighs, the bone-in variety can also be used. I like to marinate the chicken for at least 8 hours, so, while the chicken is quick to assemble, some advanced planning and wait time are involved. I use the outdoor grill at this time of year, but a grill pan or broiler can also be used to cook the chicken. I really hope you will this recipe. The barbecue sauce is outstanding and I know you will enjoy it. Here's the recipe.

Korean Barbecue Chicken...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
1/3 cup  miso
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup Asian fish sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup Korean chile paste (gochujang)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
8 to 12 large boneless chicken thighs
Vegetable oil, for brushing

Directions:
1)  Whisk  miso, sugar, sesame oil, fish sauce, vinegar, chile paste, garlic and ginger together in a bowl. Put  chicken in a large, shallow dish, add half of the marinade and turn to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours. Refrigerate the remaining marinade.
2) Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Remove  chicken from  marinade and brush with oil. Grill chicken over moderate heat, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
3) Brush chicken with reserved marinade.  Grill for about 2 minute per side, until glazed.Yield: 4 to 6 servings.









One Year Ago Today: Strawberry Orange Smoothie


















Two Years Ago Today: Lemon Anise Churros

















Three Years Ago Today: Buttermilk Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

33 comments :

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

This chicken looks exotic and utterly delish :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Ellen Whyte said...

Sweet but yummy!

Diane said...

I love Asian and oriental flavours, this sounds fantastic. Keep well Diane

Kim said...

I'm soooooo happy!!! Yesterday, I went to Montreal and I just bought this Korean chili sauce! So happy! This chicken looks amazing and I can't wait to try it!

chacha said...

Mary, your grand kids are darling! I'll be making this very soon as I have every single ingredient on hand and it's grilling weather. Blessings.

Fern @ To Food With Love said...

I love using gochujang too....they make great marinades, dipping sauces, salad dressings, etc etc. Your bbq chicken looks wonderful! I'll be trying this soon. Thanks for the recipe :)

From the Kitchen said...

I think we'll enjoy this on the grill. Fortunately, we have a Korean market very close. I've been doing more and more with chicken thighs lately. The little boys are so very adorable. You all must be having a special visit. Enjoy!

Best,
Bonnie

Lea Ann (Cooking on the Ranch) said...

I've been wanting to make Korean BBQ Chicken for years. Now if I can just find that paste. Great photo of those adorable children.

Unknown said...

I love Korean barbecue chicken! A friend of mine's mom makes the best I have had so far... Can't wait to see if this one is even better!

Debs @ The Spanish Wok said...

This looks wonderful, I'm salivating now LOL.

Strange, but this is the second recipe I've come across this afternoon that includs Gochujang. I doubt I can get it so could I sub with chinese hot bean paste?

You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here for entry details and current theme offering a new theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

Unknown said...

Mary, these ribs look amazing! And I can see how this sauce would be good on just about anything. I love ethnic restaurants, it's so fun to discover new flavors and ingredients!

Barbara said...

Such adorable little boys, Mary!
And the recipe sounds wonderful...spicy and flavorful.

Ana Regalado said...

Mary , your two grandsons look so adorable ! And that Korean bbq chicken sure looks good to me ! ;D

Ellen B Cookery said...

Looks like you made your husband one happy father with this meal!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I like the chicken, but I like your dinner guest even more! Adorable!

Suzie said...

I love the flavors, I can tell I would really enjoy this sauce and have it bookmarked for the future! :)

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

My Korean girl will love it. Thank you.

Melinda said...

Cute pics!
This sounds delish--even Mr. ken might eat it.

Drop by Dreaming--I am celebrating!

Melinda

Priya Suresh said...

Super tempting,delicious and incredible..Wish to have some rite now.

lidia said...

Buonoooooooooooooooo complimenti.....Ciaoooooooooooo

Ginny Hartzler said...

Interesting, I have not heard of Korean BBQ, I thought it was only an American thing!

Lynda said...

Your grandsons are adorable Mary-I know you must be so proud.
And the chicken looks fantastic; I love Asian flavors.

Margaret Murphy Tripp said...

Oh boy, those look drool-worthy! And your grandsons are adorable!

Tanna said...

Oh, Mary, while the Korean Barbecue Chicken sounds wonderful, it is those precious grandsons that just steal my heart away! Oh, they are so precious! You cannot help but smile and feel happy to see those sweet faces! Thank you for the smile as well as the recipe. blessings ~ tanna

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Those grandboys are adorable.

Shug said...

Those little faces are so cute...Just brings lots of joy to a heart, doesn't it? I would say that the silver haired fox sure know how to pick some good food...Looks delicious

Pam said...

Your chicken sounds very good, Mary! And, the boys are adorable! Bet they keep you busy when they're around. Have a great week!

Eileen said...

This sounds delicious, Mary! And your grandsons are too, too cute. :)

David said...

Mary, The best part of the chicken + this recipe = a very tasty meal. Just add some veggies and rice! Thanks... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Mother said...

HO AVUTO LA FORTUNA DI MANGIARE IN UN BARBECUE
COREANO.
MI STAI FACENDO VENIRE NOSTALGIA !!!
CIAO, MOTHER.

Jennifer Kendall said...

that looks like some seriously delicious chicken! i just need to find that gochujang!

France@beyondthepeel said...

Even if it doesn't taste exactly like Korean BBQ chicken I'm sure it truly is addictive.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

The ribs sound delicious, but those two cutie-pies of yours are ADORABLE!! I also checked out the fritatta and the peanut butter bars...both yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly