Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Peanut Butter Blondies




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I fall back on this recipe whenever I have a crowd to feed. This is a great substitute for a sheet cake and when you are asked to bring a dessert to a church picnic or similar event, you might want to keep these blondies in mind. They come together quickly and, in the relative scheme of things, they are inexpensive to make. I prefer to use butter in my baked goods, but, I've found through trial and error, that the texture of these bars is better when they are made with shortening. So, shortening, plain or butter-flavored, it is. I have one caution to share with you should you decide to make these. It is easy to over-bake the bars, so watch them carefully, starting at the 25 minute mark. You want them to be chewy, not crunchy. While ovens vary, my bars are usually done in 27 minutes. Be sure to frost the blondies. It may seem unnecessary, but the frosting adds another layer of flavor to the bars and helps to keep them moist and fresh. While the bars lack finesse, they are delicious and they are perfect for down-home type events. I found the recipe in Family Circle magazine and you can find their version of the recipe, here. If you take these to an event, I'd like to suggest you clearly label them, so those who have peanut allergies are not surprised. I know that those of you who try these bars will like them. Here's the recipe.

Peanut Butter Blondies...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Family Circle Magazine

Ingredients:
Peanut Butter Bars
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped
Frosting
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup hot water

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 13 x 9-inch baking pans with cooking spray.
2) In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3) In a large bowl, beat shortening, peanut butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed for 3 minutes. Add eggs; beat 3 minutes more. Add vanilla.
4) On low speed, beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the peanuts.
5) Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly.
6) Frosting: Beat confectioners' sugar, peanut butter, shortening, salt, and vanilla. Add hot water, a little at a time Beat until smooth. Spread over blondies while still warm. Yield: 48 bar cookies.










One Year Ago Today: Country Ribs with Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce
















Two Years Ago Today: Sugar Snap Peas with Fresh Mint Oil
















Three Years Ago Today: Coleslaw with Creamy Buttermilk Dressing

23 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is kind of combining two different recipes. It looks like an adult version of blondies or peanut butter bars.

José Manuel said...

Me encanta

Katarina said...

Looks really delicious, as always :)

Priya Suresh said...

Irresistible,droolworthy and totally inviting blondies.

Tanna said...

One can never go wrong with peanut butter in our home. ;) Thank you, Mary. blessings ~ tanna

Kim said...

This recipe looks like a crowd pleaser! Yum!

Ellen B Cookery said...

These look really good. Must taste amazing. I know my family would enjoy them.

Also, thanks for the tip on labelling. I should already be doing that since once of my daughter's has several food allergies. ~I'm going to a memorial this weekend and we're all bringing something. My dessert has nuts in it, so I'll be sure to label it.

Unknown said...

I love anything peanut butter! These bars sound wonderful.. I have a feeling they would not make it to that event I was asked to bring them too, though, if I made them!!

Ana Regalado said...

Such a simple and delicious treat that everyone will love !

Natalie said...

I often need treats to bring to church to feed a crowd--these sound perfect!

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Sounds yummy

KitchenKarma said...

Hello Mary, the blondies look so nice, I love the idea of frosting them, more flavour the better :-) Thanks for sharing this recipe, bookmarking it!
Have a good day, Suchi

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

These look way to good to share!

David said...

Mary, These Peanut Butter Blondies look very nice... Another recipe for the file! One grandson is very allergic to peanuts, so Laurie and I eat peanut products whenever we have a window of opportunity! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Suzie said...

I was just appointed to bring a dessert to a bbq and this is going to be it Mary, thank you!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh those look delicious! you had me at peanut butter!! :)

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Wow - I love peanut butter so much and this looks perfect for me. Now if I can just find a crowd!

Baking Addict said...

You had me at peanut butter :)

A Sunflower Life said...

Mary, these blondies look wonderful. I've never had peanut butter ones before. And I like the idea of frosting them. I have a chocolate chip blondie recipe that dries out quickly. Perhaps if I frost them...

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Lovely & very appetizing! :)

Veronica Miller said...

This is exactly the type of treat I go for at gatherings! They look fabulous, Mary!

flying eagle woman said...

My daughter and her little family have moved home with me for a bit and I think these will be a PERFECT recipe for us to have fun with this weekend! They literally made my mouth water:-) I probably should have eaten breakfast before coming to work!!!!
Shawna

Joanne said...

I am very much a proponent of all things peanut butter all the time! Love these.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly