Monday, July 23, 2012

Pan Grilled Shrimp with Barbecue Spices




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Life isn't fair. In a year when the lobster catch is huge and the clawed monsters are selling for $4.99 a pound, my family remains committed to shrimp, lots and lots of them. I've lived with the curse for years and in my dotage I've become convinced their love of the crustacean is directly proportional to its current market value. The more expensive it becomes, the more they love it. At any rate, short of finding a trove of really small lobsters, it's shrimp for dinner tonight. Scampi sounds awfully good to me right now. Don't get me wrong. The pan grilled shrimp I'm featuring today are great, but I've decided the recipe is impractical when you have a gang to feed. I made a test batch of the grilled shrimp before heading east, and I must say they are very, very nice and quite easy to do. The recipe, however, is not workable when you have ten or twelve people to feed. The cook would never get to leave the grill, so, a change of menu is definitely in order here. It will be scampi for dinner tonight. Shrimp with with lots of garlic butter and crusty bread and a salad so crisp it hurts the ears would really hit the spot. As to the featured recipe, it's great and should be shared. The recipe was developed by Bobby Flay and while it won't work in this vacation cottage, it would be perfect for a small backyard gathering. I hope some of you will try it. Here's the recipe.

Pan Grilled Barbecued Shrimp with Barbecue Spices...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Bobby Flay

Ingredients:

1/4 cup smoked sweet paprika
2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds (21-24 count) large shrimp, shell on
6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
12 cloves coarsely chopped fresh garlic, divided
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion

Directions:
1) Heat grill to high. In a large bowl, combine paprika, chile powder, sugar, cumin, salt and pepper. Add shrimp and toss until coated well.
2) In a large cast-iron skillet or stainless-steel saute pan placed on grill, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add one-third each of shrimp and garlic, Saute, turning once, until shrimp is opaque and just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in one-third of scallions and transfer to a large platter or turn out onto brown paper bags.
3) Wipe out skillet with paper towels and repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining oil, shrimp, garlic and scallion. Serve immediately.
4) To cook indoors: In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Saute shrimp and garlic in batches as above. Stir in scallions and serve. Makes 4 to 6 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Thai-Style Green Beans















Two Years Ago Today: London Broil with Garlic and Parsley Sauce














Three Years Ago Today: Tomato Brunch Sandwiches

24 comments :

tinyskillet said...

It does look so pretty sitting on that plate. Funny how families are.

mia xara said...

Hi Mary,lots of good flavor in one plate..I love shrimp,they must be delicious wrapped in all these spices..XO

Alicia Foodycat said...

$4.99 per pound! That's amazing! I would definitely be eating the lobster with you!. These shrimp look really delicious though.

Coleens Recipes said...

$4.99 a pound sounds too good to be true!! I have to pay $20 per lobster tail (frozen).

Unknown said...

Yummy, these look wonderful!

StephenC said...

I never met a shrimp recipe I didn't like.

The Church Cook said...

Living on a SE coast, there is nothing like good ol' local shrimp. Georgia local shrimpers have a saying here, "Friends don't let friends eat Gulf shrimp"! This looks absolutely lovely, Mary!

SImple and Serene Living said...

These sound delicious, but given the choice, I must say I would have to go for the lobster.

Tanna said...

I'm saving this one for our next visit to the coast!! blessings ~ tanna

Unknown said...

I just LOVE this recipe. It's perfect for a quick weeknight meal - and you know I'm always looking for an easy grilling idea!

Kim said...

I can never say no to a beautiful shrimp recipe like this one! Love Bobby Flay's recipes usually!!!!

Red Nomad OZ said...

Haha! Throw another shrimp on the barbie eh?! As famous Australian comedian Paul Hogan (aka Crocodile Dundee) once said in an attempt to lure Americans downunder!!

Only downunder, we call them 'prawns'!!

Susan Lindquist said...

Isn't it crazy the price of lobster this summer? My fave little lobster pound was selling for $4.79 this past weekend and he was sold out by early Saturday afternoon ... those shrimp may be more expensive, but you have given them a wonderful treatment! Maybe with a little fast talking you can get the fam to try the lobster just once this summer!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction said...

This sounds delicious! I love all of the spices!

Ana Regalado said...

That pan-grilled shrimps look very tempting ! Loads of yummy flavor in one dish !

Ellen B Cookery said...

This is perfect and will work for my family of four.

Tricia @ saving room for dessert said...

Those shrimp look very well flavored. I must admit I'm in the same category as your family. It seems when I have to satisfy a craving, I can't find it or can't afford it!

Suzie said...

These do sound good. I agree that scampi for a crowd works much better :)

Diane said...

Anything with sea food in HAS to be good. Yum yum. Keep well Diane

France@beyondthepeel said...

yummy spices Marie. These just look beautiful and flavorful.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

This is such a beautiful way of serving shrimp my friend, it looks so deliciously spicy!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Dining Alone said...

I don't cook enough shrimp, and I know they are so good for me and easy to find. Thanks for reminding me with this tasty looking recipe.

Leslie said...

Whaaaaa? Lobster at $4.99 a pound?? I havenet seen that here in Florida yet. amazing.
Love your shrimp dish!

David said...

Mary, I love shrimp...but I've never had the nerve to grill them. Thanks for the recipe! My wife heard about the low cost lobsters in the Northeast...and she wants to head up that way. She loves lobster! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly