Saturday, July 28, 2012

Take Your Pick - Warm or Cold Shrimp Rolls





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The glut of lobsters that caused prices to plummet on the East coast has had no effect on their pricing here in Oregon. Inexpensive lobster rolls are fading into memory long before my appetite for them has dwindled. I spent some time today tweaking recipes for lobster rolls that I had found in the latest issue of the Food Network Magazine. One recipe, the Maine roll, was made with mayonnaise and served cold. The other, a recipe for a Connecticut roll meant to be served warm, featured just cooked lobster meat dressed in a hot seasoned butter. Both versions sounded appetizing, but cost dictated that shrimp be used to replace the lobster used in the original recipes. I steamed the shrimp, and, in both instances, I played a bit with the spicing that was originally used. I also substituted lightly toasted potato rolls for the hot dog buns in the ingredient list. I really liked both these recipes. I'm sure they are wonderful when made with lobster, but the rolls are also delicious when made with shrimp. I'll be making these again and I hope that you will give them a try. Here are the recipes.



Cold Shrimp Rolls...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by the Food Network Magazine

Ingredients:
1 to 1-1/2 pound cooked shrimp, chilled and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup diced celery
Zest and juice of 1 small lemon
Salt to taste
4 split top hot dog-type buns

Directions:
Mix mayonnaise, diced celery, and lemon zest and juice in a bowl. Stir in chilled shrimp and season with salt. Lightly toast buns. Fill each bun with a portion of shrimp mixture. Garnish with celery leaves if desired. Yield: 4 servings.




Warm Shrimp Rolls...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by the Food Network Magazine

Ingredients:
1 to 1-1/2 pounds warm cooked shrimp, coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons warm melted butter
Juice of 1 small lemon
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
Salt to taste
4 split top hot dog-type buns

Directions:
Combine butter, lemon juice, garlic and paprika in a small pan. Heat until garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt. Keep warm. Warm or lightly toast buns. Fill each bun with a portion of shrimp mixture. Garnish with a slice of lemon if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Stir Fried Snow Peas















Two Years Ago Today: Israeli Salad



















Three Tears Ago Today: Roasted Beet Salad

14 comments :

Ana Regalado said...

I'll have both , por favor ! lol Shrimp's a great and cheap alternative ! Adding some chili sauce or some relish sounds good as well :D

Diane said...

Hot or cold they both sound fantastic to me. As a seafood fan I can't go wrong with these. Have a wonderful weekend Diane

StephenC said...

Potato rolls are readily available at my Safeway here in DC, although I don't remember seeing much of them back in Denver. As much as I love lobster, shrimp rolls would make me very happy too.

Ellen B Cookery said...

These look wonderful. I would definitely like to try them with lobster.

Kath said...

In Boston last year, my sister and I had split a hot and cold lobster roll at Neptune Oyster. They were both incredible, but I must say we both preferred the hot Connecticut style roll. Your shrimp version looks fantastic and is a perfect choice for the Pacific Northwest!

Barbara F. said...

Both look delicious, I would absolutely devour the first one as shrimp salad is one of my favorite things in the whole world. I haven't made lobster for myself in a long time. xo

Shug said...

Hey there....
just can't beat a dish with shrimp!!
I can tell that this is a delightful sandwich and one that I know my hubby will love...
Have a great Sat...
hugs
shug

Dining Alone said...

I would have to have one of each to be sure which one I liked better :) They look delicious.

My Unfinished Life said...

shrimp is something both me and the hubby dont eat...so wont be trying this.....but they look very visually appealing for sure!

http://sushmita-smile.blogspot.in/

From the Kitchen said...

We were back east in late May and lobster was very reasonable. We stopped at a Panera for a quick lunch one day and were surprised to find lobster roll on their menu--$16! We passed and saved ourselves for a seafood restaurant.

Best,
Bonnie

David said...

Mary,My wife and I love Lobster Rolls but there are few found on the menus here in East Tennessee and we're not into cooking lobsters. These shrimp recipes are just what we needed! We have just added a shrimp roll to this week's menu... Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

What's next said...

Both sound like something I would love! Shrimp po boys and bbq shrimp are regulars at our house and this past week I made a lobster crab meat salad just like your cold recipe... yum!

Leslie said...

Can I pick both????? YUM

My Little Space said...

What a great choice of rolls! Honestly, they both looks as good.
Kristy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly