Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pie-Spiced Apple Cookies





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...These moist and chewy cookies are hard to resist if you enjoy apple pie. They are packed with fruit and nuts and flavored with the same spices as America's favorite pie. They are wonderfully fragrant and even smell like apple pie as they bake. The recipe first appeared on the blog The Naptime Chef and it has also been featured on food52. I'm not sure the cookies will be a favorite of the cookie-jar set, but if you enjoy an adult biscuit with your coffee or tea, these are definitely worth trying. The cookies are delicious and simple to make, but I suspect you'll need to bake them for a few minutes longer than is suggested in the recipe. My cookies needed a full 15 minutes to set and brown. You might also want to cutback on the amount of cloves used in the recipe. I used the full amount for my first batch of cookies and thought it was a bit overpowering. I cut the measure in half for the next batch and was much happier with the results. I  also added mace and ginger to the dry ingredients to bolster the reduced quantity of cloves.  I suspect that a commercial pie spice mixture would also work well here. This is a homely cookie that makes no pretense to be something it is not, but I can promise you that its flavor will trump its gnarly appearance. I hope you'll give the recipe a try. Here's how the cookies are made.

Pie-Spiced Apple Cookies...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Katie Sanford as featured on The Naptime Chef and food52

Ingredients:
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup shortening
1-1/3 cups dark brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup whole milk
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup unpeeled apple, finely chopped

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie or sheet cake pans with parchment paper.
2) Place raisins in a small saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
3) Combine shortening and brown sugar in bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until fully combined. Beat in egg and milk. sugar until full combined. Add egg and milk and mix ingredients well.
4) Whisk flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt together in another bowl. With mixer on low speed, slowly add dry ingredients, scraping bowl necessary, until everything is fully combined.
5) Stir chopped apple, raisins and walnuts into batter with a wooden spoon.
6) Drop cookies by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2-inches apart onto cookie sheets. Press tops of cookies down slightly with two fingers to flatten slightly.
7) Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies hold their shape and edges are slightly browned. Yield: 3 dozen cookies.







One Year Ago Today: Curried Corn and Chicken Soup













Two Years Ago Today: Glazed Boston Cream Cake
















Three Years Ago Today: Zucchini Cornbread


30 comments :

Coleens Recipes said...

I just noticed that our big cookie jar is almost empty, I think I'll make these...thank you for sharing!!

Red Nomad OZ said...

Ha! I've just made a dud apple cake (I blame the recipe!) so these look like a worthy replacement!! I don't care what they look like - as long as the recipe works and the flavour is there!!

Manu said...

I love spiced cookies and yours look delicious!

Katarina said...

These cookies sounds so delicious!

Priya Suresh said...

Feel like munching some,irresistible.

painter said...

Just perfect!!!
Have a good day my friend...

Alicia Foodycat said...

These definitely sound like my sort of cookie!

Sandra said...

Apple cookies! Delicious!
I like your Zuchini corn bread too!
Love from Sapin.

Kim said...

I can't resist a good cookie! These looks pretty awesome, Mary!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love a fall inspired cookie! sounds delicious
mary x

SImple and Serene Living said...

I feel like I can actually smell these :)

Unknown said...

Ooohhh.. I can't wait to try these! I adore apple pie.. and apple pie in cookie form... how can you go wrong???

singerinkitchen said...

I NEED this in my life. Perhaps I will make this tonight while the hubby is away. YUM!

Angie said...

I wonder if I have all the ingredients in the cupboards ....NOW ....not sure I can wait ... they sound amazing ...thanks for adding your tips.

The Red Apron said...

Hi Mary!
Yum! Anything with apple is a must bake for me. I will definitely try this one.
Love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
Pease visit me at http://www.theredapronscravings.com

gghie

Tricia Buice said...

Yup - I could enjoy a perfect bite of that beautiful cookie! Lovely flavor combination Mary. Have a wonderful weekend.

We Are Not Martha said...

There's nothing better than apple spice this time of year and these cookies look PERFECT! (seriously ,like "one perfect bite!!")

Sues

Salsa Verde said...

UAU Mary,
What a fantastic array of spices. These cookies might be so delicious that I just want to go to the kitchen and bake a batch of them!!
Cheers and hope you're having a fantastic day,
Lia.

Marina@Picnic at Marina said...

Mmm, cookies! Lovely! A am melting butter now to make some cookies too. :)

Biz said...

I don't think I've ever had a cookie with an apple in it - sounds delicious Mary!

Zimbabwe said...

Mmmmm bet those taste yummy. Keep well Dciane

Unknown said...

What a unique and delightful sounding cookie. I'm all about any type of apple dessert but don't do much with apple cookies, this sounds wonderful!

Renee Paj said...

Mary, I don't think I have ever met a cookie I didn't like...lol These look super chewy. Yum. I might have to sub the raisins for something else, not a big fan, but I'd like to give them a try sometime soon!

teresa said...

love these, it's like fall in a cookie, delicious!

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Delicious looking cookies...

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Mary. I can no longer eat chocolate. I love anything apple and these would be a great treat. xxoo Nancy

Cindy said...

Mary, these look delicious. I wonder if some little Kraft Caramel bits would be a fun addition. I have a package in my pantry waiting to be used.

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

Love a good cookie and these look delicious.

tender b. said...

Very nice idea.

Classy Event Organizer said...

These cookies and the pretty much everything on your blog make me want to lick the screen! They all look delicious!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly