Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon Brown Butter





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I remember the cooks and food of my childhood with great affection. I was surrounded by women who loved to cook and knew their way around the kitchen. Back in the day, they did more with a wooden spoon than I can do today, despite an arsenal of appliances and a well-equipped kitchen. Fortunately, they also loved to teach and once they realized I came from a home where food was viewed as a necessary evil, they took me under their collective wings and taught me how to cook. I have only a handful of memories from my mother's kitchen. I remember tearing bread for turkey stuffing and baking apples in the fall, but what first comes to mind is making breakfast with my father on Sunday morning. My daddy's specialty was scrambled eggs served in fried bologna cups that were topped with ketchup and hot sauce. I can hear you groaning. I have friends who, to this day, insist that I married young to escape that Sunday ritual. I say nothing!  I'm guessing that most men have a dish they call their own and like to cook for special or ceremonial occasions. Bob, my Silver Fox, loves to make holiday breakfasts and his specialty is pancakes. Not just any pancakes, mind you. He likes to experiment and my job is to find new recipes for him to try. The recipe I'm featuring today is his latest experiment. The brown butter is the star here. The pancakes are fine, but they are very bland and if you come to the table expecting  fall flavors, you're bound to be disappointed.  The taste of pumpkin is barely perceptible and the recipe is saved only because the pancakes are topped with a spiced brown butter. Fortunately, the pancakes are easy to make and they look quite lovely on a plate.  If you are looking for a new breakfast dish you might want to give this recipe a try.  They pancakes need to cook a bit longer than usual or they'll be gummy and you might want to add some cinnamon and nutmeg to the batter to perk up the flavor. Here's how they are made.

Pumpkin Pancakes with Cinnamon Brown Butter...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home

Ingredients:

Cinnamon Brown Butter
1/2 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Pancakes
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1-1/3 cups milk
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup ricotta cheese

Directions:
1) To make cinnamon brown butter: Place butter in a small heavy saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Add maple syrup, cinnamon and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans.
2) To make pancakes: Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin and cheese. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle, turning when bubbles form on top. Cook until second side is golden brown. Serve with brown butter. Yield: 14 pancakes and 1 cup butter.






One Year Ago Today: Uppakra - Swedish Potato Cookies














Two Years Ago Today: Green Tomato Mincemeat
















Three Years Ago Today: Balsamic Onion Marmalade

24 comments :

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Soft and fluffy pancakes and loved the flavorful brown butter...A delicious combo...

Zane and Van said...

pumpkin and cinnamon is like a match made in heaven!

Marina@Picnic at Marina said...

Mary, the pancakes look fantastic! Color is cheerful and pleasant... :)

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Your pumpkin pancakes are perfection my friend, I love them :D
And that cinnamon butter!

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Red Nomad OZ said...

HHHMmmm... I'm always a bit wary when I see the word 'experiment' in a recipe - but these look great! I don't expect a lot from pancakes - they're just there to offset the topping, which in this case looks FAAABULOUS!

Maybe that just means us Aussies don't take our pancakes seriously ...

Alessandra said...

Wow i have to try with pumpkin, I love the idea!

have a great weekend Mary.

Ciao
Alessandra

From the Kitchen said...

Post that scrambled eggs in bologna cups recipe. I had the same thing as a "special" breakfast as a child!! I'll probably be your only commenter but I've got your back!!

Best,
Bonnie

Diane said...

No canned pumpkin here so will give these a miss. We have though masses of pumpkins in the garden ready for winter though. Yum Yum. Have a good Sunday Diane

Kim said...

I would definitly try these pancakes, but I'll had a lots of spices, because I like it!!! These are so pretty!

Claudia said...

There is a welcome chill in the air this a.m. and that browned butter draws me in. My husband is the pancake maker in this house also so I am printing this. He loves to play. I have to say that eggs in fried bologna cups don't sound half bad to me! I could do without the ketchup - but I am thinking eggs and mortadella...

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Mary, these sound amazing! I will definitely try these for my family, maybe tomorrow!

Dining Alone said...

wow, cinnamon brown butter, I am in :) I didn't have much culinary guidance growing up either but my father always had a passion for trying new food, and I am glad I learned that from him.

Jeanne said...

Much love and many blessings
Love Jeanne

Letizia - The miss tools said...

Well a bite of this pancakes is definitively 'one perfect bite' :) Nice to meet you, I am happy I found your nice blog. I am following you from now. Visit me if you wish, looking forward to it. Cheers, Letizia

Tammy said...

Oh Mary!! What a beautiful photo...this makes me hungry all over again. Mmmm....I can only image how delicious these pancakes were.
They have Autumn written all over them...what a dreamy breakfast.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment on my scones earlier this week!

Toodles for now dahling,
Tammy<3

SImple and Serene Living said...

That butter with some gluten free pancakes sounds wonderful.

Hugs,
Laura

Buttercup said...

Perfect fall breakfast. Love pumpkin pancakes!

Martha said...

mmm, I would love to taste these! Cinnamon, brown butter, pumpkin, what's not to like?! I would certainly choose these over the fried bologna and eggs! :)

Kathy said...

Fall is in the air and pumpkin pancakes sound so perfect!! I would love to be having some of these for my breakfast! Lovely!!

teresa said...

i would be absolutely thrilled to wake up to these pancakes. YUM!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Perfect for our fall weather. YUM.

Fondly,
Glenda

Rosita Vargas said...

Sus panqueques lucen fantĂ¡sticos y son irresistible,abrazos hugs,hugs.

chow and chatter said...

this shouts fall love it

tender b. said...

Looks so good. I love the things you are doing with butter flavoring.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly