Thursday, October 11, 2012

Orange Spiced Cashews




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...As we move toward the holidays, I like to stock the pantry with a supply of spiced nuts to serve with drinks or add some balance to a cheese tray. For years, I made a variation of the Union Square Cafe's bar nuts, and while I still love those fiery, yet sweet, morsels, I wanted to try something new this year. A quick search of my favorite food sites unearthed the orange spiced cashews that I'm featuring today. The recipe was develop for Martha Stewart Living, and once I saw it, I knew I had to give it a try. The recipe is simple to make and the spiced cashews are delicious. With that said, I have a caution to share with you. I strongly advise that creative impulses be contained, at least the first time you make these nuts. Too much orange zest will spoil them. Please don't ask how I know that. If you follow the recipe as it is written, I think you'll be delighted with the results. While I'll continue to make the Union Square version, I'll also make these available for folks who find the old standard too hot for their palates. If you are looking for something different to serve your guests, I hope you'll give this recipe a try. The cashews are delicious and I think you'll love them. Here's how they are made.

Orange Spiced Cashews...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Martha Stewart

Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups whole cashews
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1-1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, mix cashews with corn syrup until evenly coated. Set aside.
2) In a small bowl, combine salt, zest, ginger, coriander, cumin, and cayenne. Sprinkle mixture over nuts, and stir until nuts are evenly coated. Transfer to one of the prepared baking sheets; spread in a single layer, separating nuts.
3) Bake until the nuts are golden and the syrup is bubbling, about 15 minutes. Immediately transfer nuts to the other baking sheet. Separate cashews with a fork and let cool. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.







One Year Ago Today: Honey Muffins















Two Years Ago Today: Candied Walnuts
















Three Years Ago Today: Pumpkin and Goat Cheese Lasagna

31 comments :

Sue/the view from great island said...

Oh gosh, just the name of these reeled me in. Cashews are the most under appreciated nut, and with orange and spice? Sounds like they'd make a great hostess gift, too.

Katarina said...

Sounds like a perfect flavor combination! Have a great day!

Ellen Whyte said...

Malaysians would love this sticky sweet but it's not for me. I used to eat cashews fresh in Indonesia. Marvelous!

Ειρήνη said...

delicious!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Sweet, salty, spicy, what could be better? I can't make these though - I absolutely can't have cocktail nuts in the house or I don't rest until I've eaten them all!

Joanne said...

Im really enamored with spices nuts lately....definitely have to try these!

Kim said...

What a great way to enjoy some nuts! Love all the spices!

SImple and Serene Living said...

I bet these are delicious, Mary :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is certainly one for the holiday list.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, I have had different spiced nuts before, but never orange! Can't wait to try these!

Lori E said...

Delicious. Now to go find your recipe for the Union Square bar nuts too.

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, These delightful treats would disappear from the bowl in a NY minute!! These must be delicious. Blessings dearest. Catherine xo

http://platanosmangoes.com said...

Great treat a must make for my husband the nut eater at home...

kitchen flavours said...

Oh my, these look fabulous! I love cashew nuts. Love the combination of orange and spices, I can see that these cashews are addictive! They'll be gone in no time at all!

Ana Regalado said...

Mary , I'm sure these nuts taste way better than store-bought ones ! I love the spices in these tasty morsels ....

Renee Paj said...

Oh these DO sound wonderful!

Eileen said...

These look wonderful. I can't wait to try them for the holiday season.

Anonymous said...

his sounds like such a great combo, I'm trying this one for sure,

Anonymous said...

ooops, I lost my T in this,, sorry!!!

Salsa Verde said...

Dear Mary,
What a fantastic suggestion. I just want to tuck in and devour them!!
Cheers,
Lia.

teresa said...

these are so fun, those flavors sound amazing!

Rambling Tart said...

Those sound absolutely delicious, Mary. :-) I remember the first time I had spiced cashews - I still think about them. :-)

lindalou said...

Not a big nut fan, but I know someone that would love these. It would be a nice holiday treat for him. Off to pin this.

Pam said...

This is a new one and a must try! Thanks, Mary and have a good evening!

Veronica Miller said...

WOW DO THESE SOUND GOOD! I'm saving this one! I'm a sucker for cashews.

Bites from life with the barking lot said...

Thanks for the heads up about not getting too creative with this. They look amazing! maybe Thanksgiving. Thanks, Mary.

Blond Duck said...

I love nuts!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I like nuts (a little too much) ... these look delicious.

David said...

Mary... We love chashews and this treatment of them just adds a distinctive 'pop' to this great snack! Thanks for this recipe...sweet with a little bite. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Beglaubigte Übersetzung said...

Wow! Great idea! Will try that, sounds like a wonderful snack!

tender b. said...

I've seen a lot of flavored nuts recently. Never thought about making homemade versions of these.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly