Friday, November 2, 2012

Apple, Sage and Sausage Dressing







From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is a perfect dressing to serve with a cider brined turkey like the one I featured yesterday. While there is some chopping involved, the dressing is easy to make and it is a perfect accompaniment for turkey on Thanksgiving Day. While I prefer to bake the mixture, it can also be used to stuff the turkey if that is more to your liking. The dressing is flavorful and moist and I know that those of you who try it will be pleased with its unique flavor combination. Here's how it is made.

Apple, Sage and Sausage Stuffing...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Whole Foods

Ingredients:
1 loaf sourdough hearth bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 11 cups)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3/4 pound fresh mild pork or chicken sausage, bulk or removed from casings
4 Braeburn, Gala or other apples, cored and diced
3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup chopped fresh sage leaves
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread bread cubes out on two baking sheets and bake until dried but not browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
2) Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up chunks with a spoon, until browned, about 6 minutes. Add apples, celery, onion and butter and cook, stirring occasionally, until apple and vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes more. Add to bread. Stir in broth, sage, salt and pepper.
3) If using mixture to stuff a turkey, cool completely before stuffing. If baking separately, heat oven to 350 degrees F; bake in a buttered casserole dish until lightly browned and crisp on top, 50 to 60 minutes. Yield: 12 to 14 servings.

Print Friendly and PDF







One Year Ago Today: Poulet au Vinaigre de Romarin















Two Years Ago Today: Stracciatella- Roman Egg Drop Soup
















Three Years Ago Today: Bittersweet Chocolate Snowballs

10 comments :

Barbara F. said...

This looks so delicious, I wouldn't even need the turkey! I add an apple to my sausage and bread stuffing, too. xo

StephenC said...

For reasons I can't explain, I have never stuffed a turkey. That's in spite of having grown up with a family who would have thought it strange to have a unstuffed bird. I find myself wondering why I would never make a succulent dressing such as this one more often than once a year.

Ula said...

great blog:)

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, thats a delicious dressing.

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a nice recipe, that must be so good.

Pondside said...

I've never tried a dressing with sausage in it. I trust your recipes, so I will bookmark this and perhaps try it with a chicken before using it at Christmas. Thank you!

Donna Elick said...

Oh my heavens Pam, this sounds delightful. I love the flavor of the sausage and the apples, my mouth is watering just thinking about this.

Cranberry Morning said...

That sounds delicious - and is my very favorite kind of stuffing!! YUM.

Veronica Miller said...

I love this recipe b/c for me, stuffing is the main part of my Thanksgiving meal and the part I can live without. Since this has sausage in it, I could just make it for my meal any day of the week and I'd be a happy camper! yumyum!

Unknown said...

Yummy, this is my kind of dressing. I love apples in my dressing and the sausage sounds wonderful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly