Friday, November 16, 2012

Crock-Pot Moroccan Chickpea and Chicken Stew





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The days grow shorter at this time of year. We lose the light and the pressure of full calendars makes it difficult to accomplish all that must be done with grace and humor. At various times, I've found myself wishing for a clone or, at the very least, an evil twin to help with the cooking and shopping and "et cetera" that has become so much a part of our modern holiday season. While some will swear they've encountered my evil twin in the kitchen, they exaggerate. I certainly have never seen her and the clones all seem to have gone to a higher bidder. Even so, I've found some techniques that help make entertaining and fabulous holiday meals more easy to accomplish. The real trick is learning how to simplify whenever it is possible. That means that some everyday meals become faster and easier to prepare than might normally be the case. This recipe is an example of a weeknight meal that comes together in minutes. It uses standard pantry ingredients and while it was designed to simmer in a crock-pot, you can also cook it stovetop if that is more to your liking. I found the recipe in Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook and it makes a pleasant weeknight meal. If you are looking for a quick and easy addition to your menu rotation, grab a can opener and give this recipe a try. Here is how this Moroccan stew is made.

Moroccan Chickpea and Chicken Stew...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook

Ingredients:

2 (16-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch squares
1 medium onion chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons water
1-1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of paprika
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter
Hot cooked couscous or brown rice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Directions:

1) Place chickpeas, tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, raisins, tomato paste, water, cumin and paprika in slow cooker. Mix well. Scatter chicken on top. Cover and cook on LOW until chicken is tender and cooked through, 6-7 hours.
2) Stir in nut butter. Serve hot over couscous or rice, garnished with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Roasted Apple Salad with Bacon and Mixed Greens














Two Years Ago Today: Dal Bhat in Pokhara Nepal
















Three Years Ago Today: Liptauer Cheese Spread

15 comments :

Diane said...

I love chick peas so will certainly try this one out. Have a good weekend Diane

Veronica Miller said...

OMgosh, Mary! I made something very similar and will be blogging it soon! I didn't use peanut butter though, what an interesting layer of flavor that must have added! Gotta love crockpot meals in the wintter!

Flavia Galasso said...

I can't believe, last week we both were "talking" about preserved lemons.... now you post a Moroccan recipe ...and on my blog there's one too, hugs ..have a ine weekend, Flavia

Unknown said...

Hi! Beautiful blog and interesting recipes!!!
I just launch an initiative from my blog to collect recipes of dishes that I will prepare by myself and that I'll publish on the blog. Who sends me any recipe is "advertised" (if you have a blog / page / account to be promoted) on facebook and twitter and obviously mentioned with links when the recipe is made and make public on the blog. If you want to send me something my address is costanza.saglio @ gmail.com and the initiative has the hashtag #VogliaDiFornelli (that in italian is "I feel like cooking")! Thank you for everything and for your wonderful blog!
kisses
C.
___
http://thetraveleater.com

Unknown said...

I hear you on the wanting to clone yourself.. mine would be evil too :)
The stew looks and sounds delicious, not to mention warm and comforting!!

The Red Apron said...

Any crockpot recipe I am willing to try.
This looks delicious!
Can't wait.

pam said...

I had this one marked to try in my book!

Cranberry Morning said...

Mary, this sounds amazing! I have only made one Moroccan dish before, and that had a long name: 'Couscous Moroccan with Hot Harissa Sauce.' I am definitely going to try your recipe! Thank you. :-)

Lynda said...

This does sound like a great meal to try; I was just wondering how I was going to get everything done this week.This easy meal will certainly help.

June said...

Just copied this to print. It looks fabulous and perfect timing too. Our house is on the market and you know how hard it is to keep the kitchen clean for showings at a moment's notice- simple dishes are the best.

From the Kitchen said...

While there have been reported sightings of my evil twin, I assure everyone that it is an urban legend! Therefore, I need help in the kitchen at times and this sounds like a recipe that I need to have bubbling away at sometime during the next few weeks!

Best,
Bonnie

Angie's Recipes said...

This is so delicious and satisfying. We love chickpea and this is the perfect stew for the lunch.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Slow cooker meals are great at this time of year. I definitely have an evil twin walking around that appears every once in a while...lol. Great comforting stew!

Sue/the view from great island said...

This has my name written all over it!

France@beyondthepeel said...

I love no brainer recipes that are easy and the peanut butter here is brilliant. Yum.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly