Thursday, January 17, 2013

Herbed Cheese and Corn Muffins with Sweet and Hot Cream Cheese Spread





From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I made a pork posolé for dinner tonight. I've featured it before and the recipe I use to make it can be found here. While it bubbled away in the crock-pot, I decided to give these special corn muffins a try. I found the recipe in Food and Wine magazine and I thought the muffins would be a perfect accompaniment to some of the spicy winter soups and stews the Silver Fox loves. While I tend to be a purist, I must admit these are delicious and the guy I made them for thought they were a "triumph". He really said that. I do so rue the day he first read Dickens. Judgments here are never simply described and what comes from my kitchen gets labeled in grandiose Victorian terms, even when a simple "good" might be more fitting. They are, after all, just corn muffins and no one expects them to rock the world. That said, they are a bit different and if you are looking for a new recipe, you might want to give this version a try. There is nothing here not to like, so I do hope you will enjoy them. Here's how they are made.

Herbed Cheese and Corn Muffins with Sweet and Hot Cream Cheese Spread...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Food and Wine magazine

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1-1/4 cups), divided use
1/4 cup chopped chives
1 cup milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for brushing
2 jalapeños
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup hot pepper jelly

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with baking spray.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk flour and cornmeal with baking powder, sugar and salt. Lightly stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and chives.
3) In a small bowl, whisk milk with the egg and the 1/4 cup of canola oil. Fold liquid ingredients into dry ingredients just until evenly moistened. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese.
4) Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, until muffins are springy and golden. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack to cool.
5) Meanwhile, brush jalapeños lightly with oil and roast directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until lightly charred, about 5 minutes. Transfer chiles to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
Peel, seed and finely chop jalapeños. Mix them with cream cheese and pepper jelly. Serve muffins with pepper jelly cream cheese. Yield: 12 muffins.






One Year Ago Today: Shrimp Noodles














Two Years Ago Today: Old-Fashioned Ginger Bread with Cream Cheese Pockets















Three Years Ago Today: Tuscan Bean Soup

20 comments :

Unknown said...

Mmmmm these look good. I gotta try these sometime.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Looks wonderful! I say bring on the Dickens! He must be a delight to live with. That would be your husband, not Dickens.

Unknown said...

This recipe looks so good blessing simmy

decocinasytacones said...

I love salty muffins...made with cheese, leeks or like these ones you made and that look delicious.
Love
Marialuisa

Riya said...

Nice one..!!

Top Cuisine avec Lavi said...

This recipe is fantastic! Looks amazing!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These look like such a delicious accompaniment to any meal Mary, although I could enjoy them with the hot spread on their own.

Susan..... said...

I am always looking for a good corn muffin. I think these would work well with a hardy Huevos Rancheros for a lazy Sunday Brunch.

Unknown said...

I've always been a sucker for a good cheesy corn muffin! And the added cream cheese spread sounds amazing! And, what luck I have today... I've been thinking over the last day or so how to use up the remainder of the pepper jelly I have on hand!! :)

Kim said...

I realise I've never made savory muffins... It's odd considering the fact that I love savory breads! I really like these and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bake them soon!

Tanna said...

Mary, I think you may have underestimated the power of a cornbread to rock the world of some of your readers. LOL! These look like they'll be rockin' mine! blessings ~ tanna

Unknown said...

I like the idea of serving these delicious savory muffins with a crock pot cooked stew-love the sweet and spicy flavors here-yum;-)

Judy@Savoring Today said...

We've been eating a lot of soups lately, these Corn Muffins would be perfect with a bowl of soup! Besides, filling up on a little soup would keep me from eating too many of the muffins. :) Have a great weekend, Mary.

David said...

Mary, These muffins sound like they're right up my alley! Cheese and corn with a hot cream cheese spread...wow! Thanks for the recipe...Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Monet said...

I adore corn muffins. They are one of my all time favorites. Thank you for sharing with me. This post, along with my cup of hot chocolate, is making for a very lovely Thursday morning. Have a great weekend!

teresa said...

mmmm, i think i have everything i need to make these, they look delicious!

KimH said...

Or, you could just have him say "you could make this again" which is how M'honey says he likes something.. haha.. Not terribly encouraging but I comprehende his lingo. ;)

Your corn muffins with hot cream spread look great!

Rhodesia said...

This sounds yummy think I might try these with a bit of mixed herbs in as well. Keep well Diane

tender b. said...

Herbed corn in muffin form? I gotta have it.

France@beyondthepeel said...

oooh yummy biscuit. The cream cheese spread sounds especially delish.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly