Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Spicy Orange Shrimp Stir-Fry


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Even in retirement, there are days when the time between sunrise and sunset ticks away so quickly that I'm flummoxed when the dinner hour arrives. It happens more often than I'd like to admit, and it occurs with such regularity that I've countered with a recipe collection that has a handful of dishes that define quick and easy meals. Tonight's feature is one of them. While it will raise no flags, it is tasty and more than adequately solves the dinner dilemma on busy days. The dish is a stir-fry but I hesitate to call it Asian. The recipe for these Asian-ish shrimp comes from Cooking Light magazine and it is a riff on a spicy sweet and sour chicken. If you enjoy foods that pack some heat, I really think you'll enjoy these shrimp. Once you have the ingredients in place they'll cook in about 5 minutes. So, if you plan to serve the shrimp with rice, you'll want the rice ready to go before you start the stir-fry. The recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, but I have made one minor change to it. The original recipe used a tablespoon of cornstarch to coat the shrimp. I thought that amount created a sauce that was too gelatinous, so I cut the measurement back to 2 teaspoons. Once you add the sauce to the pan, you'll want to keep an eye on it, cooking it only until it thickens. The sauce can break when cooked too long. Adults will enjoy this dish, but I don't recommend it for children. If you're looking for a really fast recipe, I hope you'll keep this one in mind. Here's how the shrimp are made.

Spicy Orange Shrimp Stir-Fry...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Cooking Light magazine

Ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
2 to 3 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup chopped green onions

Directions:
1) Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch; toss well to coat. Set aside.
2) Combine juice, soy sauce, honey, vinegar, and chile paste, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
3) Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced ginger and garlic to pan and stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add shrimp mixture and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add juice mixture and onions and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and shrimp are done, about 2 minutes longer. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.










One Year Ago Today: James Beard's Smothered Pork Chops










Two Years Ago Today: Cranberry, Apple and Walnut Salad














Three Years Ago Today: Coconut Cloud Pudding






18 comments :

underthebluegumtree said...

Love the look of the way the sauce coats those shrimp. Definitely going to try this dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Unknown said...

so delicious I love schrims

Ginny Hartzler said...

Can you believe I have never had shellfish? I have a fear of them that I guess is a phobia. And there is a name for every phobia, so there must be a name for this one. I think I will look it up and get back to you. In the meantime, feel free to howl with laughter.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Ostraconophibia

Diane said...

I love anything cooked with orange, bet this is good. Take care Diane

Unknown said...

I adore orange shrimp stir fry... and I make it quite often. Yours looks lovely... I wish I had a plate of it right now!!

Kim said...

Perfect for me this recipe! Love it!

Susan Lindquist said...

Oh! I have been waiting to see the Maine shrimp begin to show up in the fish market ... I could really play around with this dish, Mary! Shrimp is such a treat for SB and I!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I do love Cooking Light magazine, shrimp and something that bites the taste buds.

Tanna said...

Just catching up today and I see so many good things!! These shrimp look delicous and I think that bread would make some good biscotti!! ;) The pork stew may be getting dished up here this afternoon! Thank you, Mary. You never disappoint. blessings ~ tanna

decocinasytacones said...

I ate this in a oriental restaurant here in San Sebastian, and believe me, yous looks much much much better.
I´d love to taste yours.
Love from Spain
Marialuisa

France@beyondthepeel said...

So simple and easy to make. Thanks for sharing it. I can think of tons of things to add these to.

Claudia said...

Cooking Light has become my new best friend as I fight my last 12 pounds. I will save this because week nights are becoming more hectic and this fits the bill beautifully.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

I love the flavours in this stir fry :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

David said...

Mary, I love spicy orange shrimp stir fry! My mouth is watering and my tastebuds are alert... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

teresa said...

i want to go buy everything i need for this dish immediately. so so delicious!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

These shrimp look like they are from an Asian restaurant! I have been looking for a recipe like this too. I can't wait to try it!

underthebluegumtree said...

I've made this dish twice in the last 2 weeks. I love it! I leave out the oil so it is suitable for my low calorie diet and I worked out it is only 200 cals a portion. Fab recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly