Sunday, May 19, 2013

Carrot Muffins


My Thought for the Day can be found, here. If you like it, give us a thumbs up and share it with your friends.

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...If you enjoy Morning Glory muffins I hope you will give this recipe a try. Long term readers of One Perfect Bite know that the highest accolade I give a recipe involves my socks rather than stars or other rating equivalents. I had one bite of these muffins, happened to glance down, and, sure enough, my socks were going up and down. These Texas-sized gems are really, really good. They are moist and lightly spiced and I hope that you will give them a try when you get some time to experiment. I found the recipe on La Belle Cuisine and made it exactly as it appeared there. Having tasted them, the only change I would make next time I make them, would be to cut back on the amount of orange zest called for in the recipe. I think a teaspoon would be fine. I used the large holes of a box grater to prepare the carrots, because I like a bit of texture in my muffins and I think the food processor grates them too finely. I do have one caution for those of you who plan to try this recipe. The instructions direct you to fill the muffin cups to the brim. If you do that I guarantee you will have spillover and the muffins will be difficult to remove from the pan. Filling the cups 7/8 full is a much better idea and it will give you one small additional muffin. These are delicious. Here is how they are made.


Carrot Muffins
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of La Belle Cuisine

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups grated carrots
1 tablespoon minced orange zest
An 8-ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions:

(All ingredients should be at room temperature.)
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Generously spray 6 giant-sized muffin cups with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
3) In a medium bowl combine oil, egg, buttermilk, vanilla, carrots, orange zest and pineapple. Stir to combine.
4) Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and combine briefly with wire whisk. Stir in chopped nuts. Fill muffin cups to top. Bake for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake for about 20 minutes longer, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Turn the muffins out onto a wire rack. When completely cool, store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 large or 18 standard muffins.

Follow Me on Pinterest








One Year Ago Today: Strawberry and Rhubarb Pie














Two Years Ago Today: Tortino di Fagiolini















Three Years Ago Today: Penne with Asparagus and Lemon Sauce
















Four Years Ago Today: Potato Gratin a la Flamande

8 comments :

Rafeeda AR said...

these look so good... i love carrot muffins... :)

SallyBR said...

They look beautiful! What a wonderful color...

no wonder your socks were going up and down.. :-)

Joanne said...

So these are kind of like carrot cake for breakfast?! I like.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never tried carrot muffins, I would love to try one! Now I am a bit more interested in your Potato Flamande below, I have just printed it and will try it later. I used to make several dishes with flat beer when I was a young mom.

From the Kitchen said...

I'm putting this in my "Makes Mary's Socks Go Up and Down" file. You haven't failed us yet. Hope all is well out east.

Best,
Bonnie

Claudia said...

You have busy socks! Love carrots. Love carrot cake... I have a feeling I will be happy-together with these.

Kat said...

These look great Mary. I like the selection of spices used. I am sure they are delicious. I am bookmarking these. Have a wonderful week.

~~louise~~ said...

Sometimes it's the simple things in life that send me in a glorious whirl...gleeful socks and Carrot Muffins; what else can a gal ask for, lol...

Thank you so much for sharing, Mary. I do believe you've done a bit of changing since I was last here. Lookin good:)

P.S. If you get a chance, pop by my blog. My hiatus is OVER!!!, Louise

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly