Monday, May 20, 2013

Bizcochitos


My Thought for the Day can be found, here. If you like it, give us a thumbs up and share it with your friends.

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is the third and last of the recipes that I'll be featuring for bizcochitos this year. It comes from Jen's Favorite Cookies and it is my favorite of all the versions I tested. Bizcochitos are the state cookie of New Mexicao, and this traditional lemon and anise treat is a regional favorite that is served during the celebration of Cinco de Mayo. Jen's version has a slightly different texture than the others  because it uses less sugar  and it is made with shortening rather than butter. The cookie was originally made with lard. This is a perfect biscuit for those who prefer their treats on the less sweet side and they are wonderful served with coffee or tea. Bizcochitos are easy to make but I find them difficult to roll out because the dough is so soft. Keep the dough as cold as possible and roll it on a heavily floured board to keep sticking to a minimum. The process is irksome, but definitely worth it. Here is how this version of Bizcochitos is  made.

Bizcochitos ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Jen's Favorite Cookies

Ingredients:
Cookie Dough
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2-1/2 cups flour
Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

Directions:
1) Cream shortening and sugar.
2) Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
3) Add anise and lemon zest, and mix well. Add salt and baking powder and mix well.
4) Add flour a bit at a time, mixing to incorporate. Dough will be stiff.
5) Wrap in plastic or parchment paper and chill for 30-60 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
7) Roll onto a lightly floured surface, to about 1/4-inch thickness, and cut shapes. Place on baking sheet, and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
8) Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Follow Me on Pinterest







One Year Ago Today: Orange Blossom Sheet Cake














Two Years Ago Today: Roasted Strawberry and Cream Cheesecake













Three Years Ago Today: Strawberry Tea Bread















Four Years Ago Today: Circassian Chicken

12 comments :

Chiara said...

They look delicious!have a nice week my dear, blessings....

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have never even heard this word, but they look divine!

Angie said...

I like the sound of these ...less sugar is good ....must put them on the list to try.Thanks for sharing ...love the new layout of your blog btw.

Priya Suresh said...

Scrumptious and quite addictive cookies,love to munch some.

decocinasytacones said...

Funny, we say bizcochitos too, but they are completely different thing. In any case, they look really yummy!!!.
Love from Spain
Marialuisa
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!

Tricia Buice said...

I've always loved the flavor of anise especially when my grandmother would make pizzelles. These look terrific and tasty. Love your new photo Mary - I need to update my old one - I have a few more grey hairs now.

Unknown said...

What a fun name and they look delicious. They sound like they would have a bit of a snickerdoodle flavor.

Kalyn Denny said...

Hi Mary,
I was looking through my list of bookmarked recipes and saw one of yours. It made me realize I had not seen your blog pop up in my reader laterly, must have gotten lost in the switch (with all the Google Reader hoopla.) Anyway, just added it to Feedly, so you're back for me! Hope you are doing well.

Kim said...

Usually I prefer my cookies made with butter. But I wuold try these!

David said...

Mary, These bizcochitos are new to me but they sure look good! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Joanne said...

These cookies are the perfect bites!

Daniela Grimburg said...

These cookies look so appetizing and crunchy.
The recipe is new to me, must try them with a cup of coffee :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly