My Thought for the Day can be found, here. If you like it, give us a thumbs up and share it with your friends.
From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This is the third and last of the recipes that I'll be featuring for bizcochitos this year. It comes from Jen's Favorite Cookies and it is my favorite of all the versions I tested. Bizcochitos are the state cookie of New Mexicao, and this traditional lemon and anise treat is a regional favorite that is served during the celebration of Cinco de Mayo. Jen's version has a slightly different texture than the others because it uses less sugar and it is made with shortening rather than butter. The cookie was originally made with lard. This is a perfect biscuit for those who prefer their treats on the less sweet side and they are wonderful served with coffee or tea. Bizcochitos are easy to make but I find them difficult to roll out because the dough is so soft. Keep the dough as cold as possible and roll it on a heavily floured board to keep sticking to a minimum. The process is irksome, but definitely worth it. Here is how this version of Bizcochitos is made.
Bizcochitos ...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Jen's Favorite Cookies
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon anise seeds, crushed
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1) Cream shortening and sugar.
2) Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
3) Add anise and lemon zest, and mix well. Add salt and baking powder and mix well.
4) Add flour a bit at a time, mixing to incorporate. Dough will be stiff.
5) Wrap in plastic or parchment paper and chill for 30-60 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
7) Roll onto a lightly floured surface, to about 1/4-inch thickness, and cut shapes. Place on baking sheet, and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
8) Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
One Year Ago Today: Orange Blossom Sheet Cake
Two Years Ago Today: Roasted Strawberry and Cream Cheesecake
Three Years Ago Today: Strawberry Tea Bread
Four Years Ago Today: Circassian Chicken