Thursday, May 2, 2013

Dutch Apple Loaf


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The coronation of Willem-Alexander, started me thinking about Dutch food. Save for cheese, not much of it has made its way across the ocean, and many of the dishes that we attribute to the Dutch, are actually German and come from Pennsylvania Dutch country. I suspect its crackly sugar topping is what gave this delicious loaf its Dutch descriptor. It's jam packed with apples and walnuts, and that remarkable crackly topping gives it flavor that more than makes up for its plain appearance. This  cake is fit to set before the king. Just ask the Silver Fox, who counts this simple peasant loaf among his favorite desserts. The recipe is straightforward and the cake is easy to make. Do, however, line the pan and grease it well, because this cake wants to stick. It keeps well should you have leftovers. I hope you'll give this cake a try. It is delicious and one bite set my sox in motion. It's been a while since that happened. Here's how the cake is made. 

Dutch Apple Loaf...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Taste of Home magazine

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups diced peeled tart apples
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Topping
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Line bottom with parchment paper, then grease paper.
2) Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla.
3) Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Scrape into prepared pan.
4) To make topping: Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
5) Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center of loaf comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).







One Year Ago Today: Chocolate and Banana Small Cakes














Two Years Ago Today: Strawberry Shortcake














Three Years Ago Today: Margarita Cheesecake

18 comments :

Rafeeda AR said...

wow ma'am... love the cool look of your blog, looks very nice... :) yummy cake...

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think I would peel the whole top crust off and eat it, it looks divine.

Katarina said...

Sounds like a delicious cake! I'm saving the recipe and going to try it someday! Greetings from Amsterdam!

Zimbabwe said...

We love anything apple flavoured so this one is well bookmarked. Thank you. Have a good day Diane

Red Nomad OZ said...

Who cares where it comes from when it looks THIS good?! I couldn't see anything NOT to love in the ingredient list - and the photo confirms it!! FAAAABULOUS!!

Anonymous said...

what a great post and a lovely cake!I have made a dutch apple cake before but never knew this.
Loved it when you wrote`set my sox in action, `thats so funny!

Kat said...

That looks like a wonderful quick bread and easy too! Have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Yes, please, I would love a slice... or two... or three.... YUM!!!

Claudia said...

Sometimes simplest is best. I will be trying this over the weekend. You've never steered me wrong. Had no idea about google reader - I must live in a snow cloud. Thanks for the help.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Mary,
Love the new look of your blog! And the about you page, really enjoyed reading a little more about you!
The apple loaf looks very good. Simple and perfect for snacking anytime of the day! Thank you for sharing. Wish you a lovely weekend ahead!

Tricia Buice said...

Love the new look! and love this beautiful simple cake. Apples and a crumbly topping - so perfect!

A Sunflower Life said...

I remember a recipe like this from my childhood, but I never knew what it was called. I'll have to try this one to see if it's the same. I can just imagine enjoying a slice with my morning coffee or afternoon tea!

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

Wow we see the chunk of apple in there.. Beautiful moist loaf!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Mary, this is my kind of dessert...simple but with lots of flavor. I will save this recipe until fall when we start picking apples from our orchard.

Joanne said...

That crackly topping is calling to me!

Catherine said...

Dear Mary, That loaf looks good to me. I would have it with cream cheese and a good cup of coffee.
Hope all is well, Blessings dearest and a hug, Catherine xoxo

Tanna said...

You know it's on my "must try" list if those socks get to movin'!! ;) blessings ~ tanna

Undolock said...

I love the apple cake.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly