Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Jack Be Quick Orange Glazed Pork Chops




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I'm sure you already have a dozen recipes for glazed pork chops, but I hope you can make room for just one more. This is a great recipe to have on hand for busy spring and summer days. The pork chops are fast to fix, and despite the ease with which they come together, they are delicious. I have a couple of tricks that will help assure that you enjoy them as much as I do. I use a jaccard, which can be found, here, to tenderize the steaks and chops I cook. The comb-like tenderizer, which resemble a medieval instrument of torture, gets a real workout during grilling season, and I count on it to produce tender meat for our spring and summer meals.  I also use an instant read thermometer, which can be found, here, to assure the chops are removed from the grill before they become leather-like. Stovetop, oven or grill, overcooking will produce tough dry pork, so, please remember that chops are done when they reach an internal temperature  of 145 degrees. While they will still be slightly pink at that temperature,  they are perfectly safe to eat. The real trick to the success of this dish is the type of  marmalade you use to make the sauce.  While I love English marmalade, it is too bitter to use here. I've settled on a much sweeter domestic variety, mentioned in the recipe below, that is perfect for the quick orange sauce that is used to glaze the chops. I hope you'll try pork chops made this way. I really think you'll enjoy them. They are wonderful when served with sesame noodles or rösti and a salad that is heavy on arugula . Here is how the chops are made.

Sweet and Spicy Orange-Glazed Pork Chops...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons sweet orange marmalade (i.e. Smuckers)
Zest and juice of 1 medium orange
1 teaspoon mashed chili in adobe
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
4 (3/4-inch thick) center cut pork loin chops (about 8 ounces each)
1/2 teaspoons salt

Directions:
1) Combine marmalade, orange juice and zest, mashed chili in adobo and chicken broth in a small pan. Boil until liquid is reduced by half and syrupy bubbles form, about 5 minutes.
2) Preheat grill pan. Sprinkle both sides of the chops with salt. Brush 1 side of chops generously with glaze. Place on grill pan glaze side down. Brush other side with glaze. Cook 3 to 4 minutes per side over medium-high heat. Yield: 4 servings.








One Year Ago Today: Spiced Meatballs in Sherry Wine Sauce











Two Years Ago Today: Strawberry Panna Cotta with Fresh Strawberry Compote














Three Years Ago Today: Spinach and Pancetta Strata













Four Years Ago Today: Coq au Vin

14 comments :

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Thanks for the tip about the marmalade! These chops look scrumptious! They will certainly be on my menu, Mary!

pam said...

Love all your tips. I need one of those tenderizer things.

Big Dude said...

I really like the orange and chipotle combo and they look delicious. I love your jiccard description and have thought the same thing myself.

Lauren @ A Nerd Cooks said...

Yum! These sound and look delicious. I happen to have a bunch of pork chops in my fridge (at my husband's request) w/o a clear idea of what I'm going to do with them. This sounds like a good place to start.

Unknown said...

I actually do not have many glazed pork chop recipes, this one sounds so good. I love using marmalade for savory dishes. Thanks for the great tips too.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have not made pork chops in many years, but these look so good!!!

David said...

Mary, I love pork chops and these are just beautiful! Hungry now!! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

Beautifully glazed chops!!! Looks delicious!!!!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

What a nice easy dinner recipe. Love your new site design!

decocinasytacones said...

I never cook orange glazed pork chops. The way I cook them is simple and grilled. Served with spinach salad and a potato puré...sometimes with caramelized onions but never with a glaze. Thanks for sharing.
Love
Marialuisa

Kim said...

I don't prepare lots of pork chops so I guess I can make room for your recipe!

Cranberry Morning said...

Mary, I can't wait to try this recipe! I love marmalade and always have lean pork chops on hand. These look delicious. I can see I need to invest in a tenderizer!

Claudia said...

Oh yes - I've made many leathery pork Chops! Love the tips! Why are you leaving google reader?

Unknown said...

I have a jaccard and I love it! And yes, it does sort of look like a torture advice, doesn't it :)
The chops look and sounds amazing. This will definitely be one we try soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly