Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Trio of Recipes for Raspberry Syrup


Follow Me on Pinterest      

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...Despite my best efforts, over-exuberance at the farm stands this past weekend put me in a jam. Even a marathon canning session could not deplete my supply of raspberries. Those remaining, were rapidly moving past their prime, so I decided to use the last of them to make raspberry syrup, which I knew I could pass on to a neighbor whose church is sponsoring an ice cream social on the 4th of July. I have several recipes for raspberry syrup, and while I wanted to share the one I used with you, it is too slight to use as a stand alone feature. My solution was to bundle all my syrup recipes in this one post so it has a bit more heft. All three are simple to make, so it really is hard to pick a favorite from among them. I will tell you that while I prefer Ina Garten's syrup I use Emeril's recipe more often. His is easier to do, and sometimes that is important. The New York Times recipe is the most involved of the three, but it makes a wonderfully clear syrup that gleams like a liquid garnet. When I'm in a liquid garnet kind of mood, it is my go-to recipe. I used Emeril's recipe to make the syrup in tonight's photo because I had so many berries to process. The recipes are self-explanatory and whichever you use, the only trick to making a decent fruit syrup is the flavor of the berries you use. They must be sweet and ripe. No amount of sugar can mask the sharp unpleasant flavor of berries that are not set to go. If you wish, these syrups can all be processed in a boiling water for longer term storage. Given my druthers, I prefer to make these syrups a cup or two at a time and serve them freshly made. Here are three recipes for making raspberry syrup. I think you will enjoy the syrup, whichever recipe you use.

Emeril LaGasse's Raspberry Syrup

Ingredients:

2 pints raspberries
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions:
Combine raspberries and sugar in a saucepan. Cook until raspberries are broken down, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour through a fine mesh strainer to eliminate seeds.

Ina Garten's Raspberry Syrup


Ingredients:

1 half-pint package fresh raspberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup (12 ounces) seedless raspberry jam
1 tablespoon Framboise liqueur

Directions:

Place the package of raspberries, the granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 4 minutes. Pour the cooked raspberries, the jam, and Framboise into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until smooth. Chill.

New York Times' Raspberry Syrup


Ingredients:

2 cups raspberries or other berries
1-1/2 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.

Directions:

1) Combine berries, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until berries begin to break down and release their juices, about 4 minutes.
2) Add 1-1/2 cups cold water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn down to a simmer and skim off any foam that bubbles to top. Cook for 15 minutes.
3) Strain into bowl through cheesecloth-lined strainer, pressing on fruit to squeeze out juices. Return liquid to pan and add 1-1/2 cups sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.






One Year Ago Today: Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins













Two Years Ago Today: Heirloom Tomato Salad














Three Years Ago Today: Asparagus Soup
















Four Years Ago Today: Fresh Mint Ice Cream

7 comments :

Lynn said...

Wow, there's quite a difference in the amount of sugar in each recipe! It's a beautiful color and I'm sure they'll be thrilled to have it at the ice cream social! Happy 4th of July Mary-enjoy:@)

Unknown said...

I can see anyone of these being drizzled over ice cream or even cheesecake!! YUM! Thanks for sharing all three, Mary!

Young Adventures... said...

I love all the fresh berries this time of year. All three of these recipes look delicious Mary! Thanks for sharing your tips regarding them.

Ginny Hartzler said...

The syrup is so pretty, but I am eying those beautiful glasses, are they hobnail?

Priya Suresh said...

Very catchy and vibrant syrup.

Unknown said...

Three for the price of one! I'm so glad you went crazy at the farm stand. These all look wonderful, of course how can one go wrong with raspberreis?

Joanne said...

I"m so jealous of your raspberry haul! THey are far too expensive here for such a thing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly