Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Turkish Chicken Thighs


Follow Me on Pinterest      

From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...This simple go-to recipe was a Better Homes and Gardens prize winner a decade ago. It was created by Janice Elder who has almost legendary status in the world of contesting, where she is known for the quality of her recipes and the frequency with which she wins. Recipes don't get much easier than this and you can have this main course on the table in less than 30 minutes. I'm posting the recipe as it was originally published, but when I make this for the Silver Fox, I use half the mustard called for in the ingredient list. This has more to do with the brand of mustard I use than any problem with the recipe. I suspect the brand of chutney that is used can also make a difference in final results. For the record, when I use a commercial chutney, I use Major Greys. Different brands vary in their sweetness and acidity and I like predictable consistency with the condiments I use. This dish is inexpensive to make and it is a man-pleaser, but I can tell you from my own bitter experience that it is not a hit with younger children. I like this recipe and one of these days I'm going to figure out why it is called "Turkish". It is not like anything we sampled when we were in Turkey, but then, "What's in a name?" Here's how the chicken is made.

Turkish Chicken Thighs
...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Janice Elder and Better Homes and Garden magazine

Ingredients:
1/3 cup chutney
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 2 lbs
1 tablespoon parsley, freshly snipped
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
2 teaspoons orange rind, finely shredded

Directions:

1) Snip any large pieces of chutney. Combine chutney, honey, lime juice, mustard, ginger and five-spice powder in a small bowl.
2) To grill: Trim fat from chicken thighs. Grill over medium heat 12-15 minutes or until chicken is done (180 degrees F.) turning once and brushing with the chutney mixture during the last 4-5 minutes of grilling. If using a gas grill, preheat the grill and cover and do the same as above.
    To broil: Place chicken on a rack and broil 4-5 inches from the heat for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is done (180 degrees F.), turning once and brushing with chutney mixture during last 4-5 minutes of broiling.
3) While chicken cooks, combine sesame seeds, parsley and orange peel in a small bowl.
4) To serve, place chicken on a serving platter and sprinkle with parsley mixture. Yield: 4 servings.







One Year Ago Today: Cold Oven Pound Cake














Two Years Ago Today: Homemade Boiled Dressing and Fresh Salmon Salad













Three Years Ago Today: Swedish Strawberry Cream Cake















Four Years Ago Today: Watermelon, Corn and Black Bean Salsa











18 comments :

Pondside said...

You had me at 'chutney'! This looks like a keeper - a bit like one I have, but with some interesting differences. We have a month of company ahead of us, and I'll bet the Danes haven't had anything like this recipe. Thanks!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I bet this has really complex flavors. Oh, I see that boiled dressing below, I had forgotten about it, I'm am off to look again.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Haha - you are right, not remotely Turkish! But it sounds good and it would be a great use for the jar of chutney at the back of the pantry.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Not sure why it would be Turkish either but I can see why I would call it delicious.

Tanna said...

Oh, how I wish I could get MY man to eat dark meat. LOL! This sounds delicious, Mary! thank you. blessings ~ tanna

From the Kitchen said...

We are eating more chicken thighs than any other part of the bird. No matter what your recipe is called, I'd call it delicious.

Happy 4th to you!

Best,
Bonnie

Unknown said...

This recipe looks and sounds delicious... love the use of honey for a bit of added sweetness!

Natalie said...

I'm always looking for new chicken recipes and if this one is prize-winning, it's bound to be good :)

Kim said...

These chicken thighs looks quite tasty! I'll try to grab a bottle of chutney in my next market day:)

Tammy said...

So true! You know, I was just visiting with another foodie friend and she was pondering the name 'Trifle' given for the dessert. But like you said, "What's in a name?"

This reminds me of something my mom would make. All the spices and that hint of honey to balance it all out. A perfect summer meal, Mary.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit with me.

Have a fun and safe July 4th holiday.

Toodles,
Tammy<3

P.S.
Mom says hi!

Angie's Recipes said...

The chicken thighs look fingerlickingly delicious, Mary!

David said...

Mary, This is a very interesting recipe! It's a real departure from 'the usual' mix of seasoning and it sounds great. Thanks for the recipe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Mr. & Mrs. P said...

The flavors sound delicious and very unique!!! No wonder with was a prize winner!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love quick easy summer meals like this. Yum.

Enjoy your holiday weekend. Hope things have cooled down in the PNW.

Fondly,
Glenda

Janice Elder said...

I love that you featured my recipe, Mary - and for the life of me I can't remember why I felt it was remotely Turkish either....but it is a lovely, simple dish. I plan to make it again this week!

Ozlem's Turkish Table said...

Merhaba; lovely to find your blog, and these chicken tighs look delicious! As you say the flavors are not the very typical Turkish, but the use of spices, lime/lemon is a familiar sight - and looks great!

Betty said...

I have a house full of people to feed this week, so an easy chicken dish like this one sounds perfect. :)

Lynne said...

You had me at Turkish! It was enough to make me open the recipe and, while it is definitely not Turkish, it looks and sounds divine so I will be giving this recipe a go.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly