Saturday, July 6, 2013

Marionberry Muffins



From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...These muffins are a great way to use those excess berries you've been accumulating. They are  a rich 2 bowl wonder that I know you will enjoy, and while I've used Marionberries, raspberries or blackberries can easily be substituted. Marionberries are unique to the Pacific Northwest and their name comes from the area in which they were first cultivated. Ninety percent of  the world's Marionberries are grown here in the Willamette Valley, which considers itself to be the caneberry capitol of the world. While many think the Marionberry is a cross between a raspberry and blackberry, the cultivar is actually a cross between two types of blackberries, one chosen for its sweetness, the other for its prolific growth. The climate here is such,  that berries grow almost effortlessly. Our native blackberry, the Himalayan, grows so prolifically that it is considered to be a weed. It grows on slopes and the sides of rural highways, and, at this time of year, it is not uncommon to see folks on the roadsides picking  Himalayan berries for their personal consumption. Though wild, they are edible, but their seeds and tart taste are off-putting to those who prefer sweeter berries. The Marionberry has become a local staple and you can't escape a visit to Oregon without sampling a Marionberry cobbler in the summer months. The berries have a rich deep taste that makes them perfect for old-fashioned  baking. They work really well in the recipe I'm featuring today. The combination of blackberries with orange juice and zest, is a marriage made in heaven, My only caution regarding this recipe is a warning about the ripeness of the berries you use to make them.  The batter for these muffins is thick, and if your berries are too ripe, they'll be crushed and you'll have damp blue-toned muffins that no one will want to eat. I do hope you'll give this recipe a try. Here is how the muffins are made.

Marionberry Muffins...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Driscoll's Berries

Ingredients:
1 cup marionberries or other blackberries
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cups sour cream or low-fat plain yogurt
1/3 cups canola oil
2 to 3 teaspoons grated orange zest (from about 1 orange)
1/3 cups orange juice
1 large egg

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners or coat well with cooking spray.
2) Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl, breaking up any lumps of sugar.
3) Combine sour cream, oil, zest, juice and egg in a large bowl. Stir in flour mixture until partially moistened. Add marionberries and stir gently until evenly mixed. Batter will be thick, do not over stir.
4) Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Bake 20 to 22 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan 3 minutes. Serve warm or remove to wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 12 muffins.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      








One Year Ago Today: A Simple Cinnamon Raisin Quick Bread












Two Years Ago Today: Salmon Cakes














Three Years Ago Today: Strawberry Salsa
















Four Years Ago Today: Cajun Corn Maque Choux

15 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Goodness, this is for sure a new one on me! And here I thought Phil eats every kind of berry there is!

KathyB. said...

I love Marion berries but don't have any growing in our gardens . But what a timely recipe because just yesterday I was looking over our raspberry bushes and told my husband we were going to be eating fresh baked raspberry muffins today . Thanks !

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

I'm a big berry lover -- my favorite will always be raspberry -- but I never heard of these!

Young Adventures... said...

I have heard of marionberries, but have never had access to them. I love the combination of the berry and the orange zest. I will have to give these a go with blackberries. Thanks for the recipe Mary!

Barbara said...

We don't get marionberries here, Mary, but I can see raspberries would be a perfect substitute. My recipe has almond flavoring in it, think I'd like the orange. Definitely will try these. Nothing nicer than muffins in the morning!
Have a lovely weekend!

JG said...

These berries are new to me, Mary. The orange juice & zest must give these muffins a great flavor.
~Judy

decocinasytacones said...

I used to pick berries with my sister in a huge bush we had next to our holidays house.....there was a time we couldn´t stand them anymore...the muffins look yummy!!!!...I started eating them again after I was married......I love those.
Love
Marialuisa

Velva said...

No marion berries here in north Florida but we have plenty of blackberries. The muffins without a doubt look delicious.

Velva

pam said...

Never had a marionberry!

Kim said...

Here we dont have these berries, but I bet these muffins would be perfect with wild blackberries!

Nammi said...

Hello mary :), yumm , your muffins look delicious. First time seen these marion berries, at first I though they were black berries

Angie's Recipes said...

No marionberries here..these muffins must be heavenly for the breakfast.

Joanne said...

I wish we had these berries here!!

David said...

Mary, I've had Marionberry jam but never Marionberry muffins... They really sound and look terrific! Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

tender b. said...

I've never heard of Marion berries. I will be on the look out for them when I travel.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly