Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Simple Scrumptious Strawberry Cobbler




From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...The last flush of berries is making its way to farmers' markets in our area. Because I've published so few recipes for desserts and sweet breads this summer, I wanted to close out the season with a raft of berry rich recipes that are guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth. The cobbler I'm featuring tonight is fast and simple to make, but it is a bit unique. There are not a lot of recipes for strawberry cobbler on the Internet, so this one caught my eye when I stumbled on it. The recipe comes from the blog Vegetable Matter and when I saw it I knew I had to give it a try. I'm so glad I did. The cobbler is sweet, but not cloying and it is the perfect way to end a summer meal. The only change I made to the original recipe was to add a tablespoon of orange liqueur to the filling. I wanted to make the orange flavor a bit more pronounced and the liqueur was the easiest way to do that. This cobbler is best served warm. While it is wonderful with a small scoop of ice cream, I prefer to serve it with a dollop of creme fraiche. The nutty and slightly tangy flavor of the cream is a perfect foil for the sweetness of the berries. I really like this recipe and I'll be making the cobbler whenever an abundance of strawberries finds its way to my kitchen. I hope you will give this recipe a try. You will not be disappointed. Here is how the cobbler is made.

Strawberry Cobbler...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of the blog Vegetable Matter

Ingredients:

Filling
6 cups strawberries, washed and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
Biscuit Topping
1-1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for top
4 tablespoons butter, cubed and cold
1 cup heavy cream
8" pyrex baking dish or similar oven-proof glass dish

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch pan with nonstick spray.
2) To make filling: Combine strawberries, sugar and orange zest in a bowl. Transfer filling to prepared baking dish.
3) To make topping: Combine flour, salt, baking powder and 2 tablespoons sugar in a bowl. Cut in butter to resemble coarse meal. Add cream and mix until uniformly moist. Spoon out on top of filling. It should be plopped on in clumps. You don't want a perfectly smooth topping. Sprinkle with granulated sugar for some sparkle.
4) Bake until biscuit is golden brown and filling is cooking and bubbling. Let cool enough for juices to thicken, then served warm by itself or with whipped cream or creme fraiche. Yield: 8 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: The Internet's Most Popular Beer Bread Recipe













Two years Ago Today: Mulligatawny













Three Years Ago Today: Orzo and Rice Pilaf with Pignoli and Parmesan Cheese













Four Years Ago Today: Roasted Red Pepper and Sun-Dried Tomato Spread

14 comments :

janice15 said...

Looks divine. cant wait to make it

Rhodesia said...

That makes my mouth water, I love strawberries but they are not very fond of me!! Have a good day Diane

Anonymous said...

perfection in my eyes! I love a strawberry cobbler!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

What an amazing looking and sounding tasty cobbler! WOW!

Kim said...

Love love strawberry desserts! This cobbler looks soooooo good Mary, I have to try it:)

Priya Suresh said...

Always fond for strawberry desserts, droolworthy gobbler.

lindaraxa said...

What a great idea, Mary. This I will definitely try!

Joanne said...

I'm imagining biting into this juicy goodness!! Mmmm...

kitchen flavours said...

A lovely dessert, Mary! And a great idea to add orange liqueur to bring out the orange flavour. My kids would definitely love this with a few scoops of ice cream!
Thanks for sharing, hope you have a lovely week ahead.

Rachelle said...

That looks so delicious. I am wondering if I can make this by trading out the half and half for canned coconut milk, my daughter is lactose intolerant and I want to make this for her.

David said...

Mary, I love cobblers of all types and this one is my better half's favorite. Thanks for the recipe! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is beautiful, but my eye is on the beer batter bread below. I don't think I have seen it before. And believe it or not, I am buying a loaf pan just to make this!

AJ said...

Oh my word! That look scrumptious.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert said...

I've never made strawberry cobbler so I'm sitting here asking myself - why? Why haven't I made this beautiful dessert? Thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly