Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Skillet Supper - Warm Shrimp and Escarole Salad


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...I occasionally have the good fortune to stumble onto a really good recipe that could easily be overlooked. This simple warm shrimp salad is one of them. I first saw the recipe in Bon Appetit magazine and while it sounded interesting, I was too busy at the time to test it. Fortunately, I clipped and stored it to try another day. It came out of hiding one evening when I had a bunch of escarole that had to be used and it has been a menu regular ever since. The skillet entree takes about 20 minutes to prepare and it relies on some very ordinary pantry ingredients. Unless I have a plan to use the entire can, I use two teaspoons of anchovy paste, rather than whole anchovies, to make this dish and I usually omit the radishes you see in the ingredient list. I also remove the shrimp from the skillet before I add the escarole. It is very easy to overcook the escarole and while that will not affect flavor of the dish, it negatively affects its appearance and texture. I really like this dish and I hope you will give this simple recipe a try. It is a delicious novelty that I suspect will become a regular at your table. Here is how this unusual salad is made.

Warm Shrimp and Escarole Salad...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of Bon Appetit magazine

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons drained capers, chopped
8 radishes, trimmed, quartered
1 1/4 pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 head of escarole, torn into large pieces (about 10 cups)
3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

Directions:

1) Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add anchovies and cook, mashing with the back of a spoon, until anchovies dissolve and a paste forms, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and capers; cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant but not brown, about 1 minute.
2) Increase heat to medium-high. Add radishes and cook, tossing often, until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add shrimp; cook, tossing occasionally, until just cooked through, about 4 minutes.
3) Add half of escarole and toss until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute. Add remaining escarole and toss until wilted, about 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Yield: 4 servings.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Japanese Cucumber Pickle














Two Years Ago Today: French Lemon Tart















Three Years Ago Today: Grapefruit Sorbet














Four Years Ago Today: Swedish Meatballs

13 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

Phil would love this, and especially since it is warm and you don't have to peel it! He has been known to forgo shrimp because of it's messiness peeling it.

QembarDelites said...

This dish is really right up my alley, I have stir fried vegetables on my dining table everyday. This would be very welcomed:)

Glamour Drops said...

Now when I work out just what on earth escarole is, I would like to make this. Is it some sort of sorrel, or spinach or such like???

Unknown said...

This sounds like a lovely salad, Mary. Love the simplicity and ease to this dish!

Susan Lindquist said...

Oh! This soft warm salad looks so inviting! I don't often see escarole in the market ... I wish that would change! I also wish there was a more local source for shrimp, as I love them! When Maine shrimp comes into the fish market, we scoop them up! I'm bookmarking this recipe for that day! Thanks Mary!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

At the farmers market this morning I saw plenty of escarole that I wish I had piked up.

June said...

Escarole is one veg I consistently walk on by but no longer. I can't wait to give this a try. It looks delicious!

David said...

Mary, Thanks for this great recipe... Simple and healthy, great for the diet that my wife and I are on right now! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Gwen said...

What an amazing combo of flavors going on in this salad! This may be the perfect dinner for me. ;}

Kim said...

This looks soooooo good!

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious salad, cant take my eyes from ur clicks.

Deana Sidney said...

That looks so simple and good. I love eating like that.

Unknown said...

I love simple yet fabulous recipes like this. They're like finding a pot of hidden gold!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly