Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Blueberry Streusel Muffins


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...There are days I'm sure I've fallen into the rabbit hole. Maybe it's just the nomenclature that gets to me, but this morning I was struck by the ridiculousness of having a meeting to plan a meeting. Judging by the progress we made, I think the gals were just lonely and needed a coffee klatsch to mark the end of summer and head them into fall. We had lots of laughs but I'm not sure we left with an agenda for the meeting that brought us together. I made a batch of the muffins for the occasion and thought I'd share the recipe with you tonight. It comes Taste of Home magazine and while these muffins will not rock your soul, they are a great excuse for using up the last of your summer berries. They are easily made and have a thick streusel topping that most folks seem to love. The first time I made these, I thought they were a bit too bland, so I added extra vanilla and cinnamon to the next batch. Be forewarned that the batter for these muffins is very thick and the muffins can be dense and dry if they are over baked. While ovens vary, I can tell you that mine were ready in 25 minutes. There is nothing here not to like and if you are looking for a new recipe for blueberry muffins, I hope you'll give this one a try. Here is how the muffins are made.

Blueberry Streusel Muffins...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite inspired by Taste of Home Magazine

Ingredients:

Muffins
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
Streusel
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or paper line the 12 cups of a standard muffin pan. Set aside.
2) Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat in egg and vanilla and mix well. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in another bowl. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Fold in blueberries.
3) Fill prepared muffin cups two-thirds full.
4) To make streusel: Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over muffins. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.

If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Tomato Crostini












Two Years Ago Today: Pasta with Bread Crumbs and Herbed Tomatoes













Three Years Ago Today: Mexican Rice














Four Years Ago Today: Biscotti Regina

11 comments :

Ginny Hartzler said...

This makes me so much wish that I still subscribed to Taste Of Home!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I just bought some blueberries yesterday and am feeling inspired.

Kim said...

Blueberry muffins are a favorite for a lot of people! And with a streusel topping, these are even better! Love love these!

decocinasytacones said...

Hello Mary!!!!, back from my holidays in Greece already...with a lot of stories to tell and blogs like yours to read...god...2 weeks and a half and I´m missing a lot.
Have a great day...and soon I´ll be posting.
Love
Marialuisa

Lori E said...

I always think "I should make those" but this time I actually might do it lol.
My coffee is now ready and I sure wish I had one of those right now.

Unknown said...

We have meetings to discuss the next meeting every day where I work... but at my job, there are no yummy blueberry streusel muffins to help ease the pain!!! I love anything with a crumbly streusel top... I wish I had one right now :)

A Sunflower Life said...

These muffins look delicious. I haven't had homemade blueberry muffins in quite a while...time to change that!

Susan Lindquist said...

I'd go to that meeting just to get one of those muffins ... but I'd be snickering about the agenda ... talk about committee mentality. Haha!

David said...

Mary, These muffins look terrific! We're dieting...but I'll keep this recipe for a special breakfast treat! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Vicki Bensinger said...

These muffins are beautiful. I usually make batches of muffins while we travel during the summer but this year I was asked to refrain. Everyone wanted to watch their waistline and when I make them, no one can keep their hands off of them. I'm sure that was the case with your muffins.

I'll have to save this recipe for when everyone is in the mood to indulge.

Daniela Grimburg said...

That's the best of two worlds: muffins and Streusel- definitly a match made in heaven!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly