Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Skillet Chicken and Orzo with Tomatoes and Parmesan Cheese


From the kitchen of One Perfect Bite...It's hard to believe that another school year is about to begin and that we'll soon have to put the lazy days of summer behind us. Those first few weeks of school were always a time of transition in my kitchen. Our meals became more substantial as the weather changed, but I wasn't quite ready for the full-court press that winter meals demanded. Back in the day, I relied heavily on skillet meals for weeknight suppers. Actually, they were a survival tool. Now, you would think that an old woman, who no longer has a chick or child to care for, would have retired skillet meals at the time about the same time she retired. That didn't happen and I still collect simple skillet recipes to expand my collection and share with my daughters. I am not a "foodie" so anything, however humble, is fodder for my plate and palate, as long as it is delicious. As it happens, most skillet meals are delicious and I don't think they should be overlooked. The recipe I'm featuring tonight was originally developed for America's Test Kitchen and I think you will enjoy the ease with which it comes together. While I've made small changes to the recipe, I'm sharing the original version with you, but would recommend the use boneless thighs instead of breast to make the dish. I suspect you might also want to double the amount of cheese that is called for in the recipe. This is basic food at its best and I think you will enjoy this chicken preparation. Here is how this skillet supper is made.

Skillet Chicken and Orzo with Tomatoes and Parmesan Cheese...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite courtesy of America's Test Kitchen

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups orzo
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and pounded if necessary
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
pinch red pepper flakes
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Directions:

1) Toast orzo in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. When it is golden brown transfer to a bowl.
2) Using same skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan and heat until it shimmers. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly brown both sides of chicken, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
3) Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Stir in garlic, oregano and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, stock and toasted orzo.
4) Place browned chicken and juices into orzo. Bring contents of skillet to a simmer, reduce heat, cover pan and cook until chicken is done, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
5) Continue to cook orzo until al dente and creamy, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in Parmesan cheese and basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.


If you have enjoyed your visit here, I hope you'll take a minute to...

Follow Me on Pinterest      







One Year Ago Today: Chinese-Style Bourbon Chicken












Two Years Ago Today: Banana Snack Cake















Three Years Ago Today: Quick Pickled Beets














Four Years Ago Today: Thai Lemon Grass Pork

17 comments :

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love one pan meals and this is one that I have bookmarked for future use. I love orzo.

Anonymous said...

Have you changed your email feed? I was getting the whole post in my email but this one was just a summary.

Kathy said...

A fabulous looking dish! This would be such a hit with my family! Bookmarking!

From the Kitchen said...

I still do skillet meals with two at the table. The flavors mingle well, especially in the leftovers, and there's the comfort factor of them bubbling away on the range. Did I mention leftovers?

Best,
Bonnie

Kim said...

I personnaly don't overlook a lot of recipe as a simple one is perfect for school nights! Hard to believe indeed that summer is almost gone...

Unknown said...

I, for one, am glad you never ditched the skillet meals!! They are too easy and delicious to get rid of all together :)

David said...

Mary, This is a really good looking skillet chicken entrée! Love the ingredients...and the use of orzo. Thanks and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is very interesting to me because I never heard of sauteing orzo like you can do with rice! I have actually never heard of frying any pasta unless you are specifically making fried pasta. It does look very good.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert said...

I love a good casserole - all in one pan. Perfect for a weekend meal.

Big Dude said...

Sounds simple and looks delicious - can't beat that.

Priya Suresh said...

Makes me hungry, cant resist.

Unknown said...

I love one dish dinners like this. It sounds delicious!

Rambling Tart said...

I love simple meals like this - and it looks so savory and scrumptious. :-)

Coleens Recipes said...

This sounds delicious. I've been on the search for new-easy chicken recipes, thank you for sharing this one. I think even picky-picky husband will love this one.

Brand-Eye said...

This is one of my and my 8-year-old daughter's favorite recipes! We make it at least once a month. Thank you!

allebull said...

Have I missed it? When to add the 2 cups of chicken broth?

Mary Bergfeld said...

allebull, the stock has been added to the recipe instructions. Thanks for pointing out its omission to me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Printfriendly